Cover guys

brown bomber

brown bomber
If I recall, the highest cover driver in my old center....was permanently assigned, to a route that was awarded to an elected union officer...it's his (cover driver), until he bids off of said route, or the union officer returns to that bid area

S

serenity now

here, as cover drivers we could not bid on upcoming routes that were open (due to vacation), nor could we choose on a daily basis the route we wanted to cover

it was: work as directed every day; i survived 10 years of that nightmare

Last edited by a moderator:

Overpaid Union Thug

You guys would S#%T your britches, if you could have witnessed some of the routes (split routes), that I delivered.....back in the mid -1980's...I had routes, that delivered in 4 counties.....I had routes, where the pkgs. were loaded on 4 piles on the floor of the pkg. car/ by city or area ( if you had a good loader)..it wasn't to bad...when Mgt. started to invent split-cars, that were impossible...I finally bid a route....management, had much more flexibility 25-30 yrs. ago

That's happening now! Even with EDD I see loads similar to that. The dispatch sups are too lazy to and/or just don't know or care about what they are doing so we end up with sections with anywhere from 10 go 50 packages that all have the same sequence numbers so the preloader just throws them all on the shelves on no particular order (as if any of them know how to load by address anymore) or stacks them on the floor. Sometimes the sections aren't divided right so we'll end up with only 10 stops in one section but three sections worth of stops in one of the others. They usually end up stacked on the floor somewhere.

AKCoverMan

Cover driving sucks. Everybody wants their normal driver.

Standard banter for the cover driver:

Cute looking customer on Bob's route which I am covering: "Hey, your not Bob!"

Me: "Woah, I am much sexier than Bob. We shouldn't even argue about that!"

I get a lot of laughs with that one.. and they usually remember me the next time I cover Bob's route.

AKCoverMan

Cover driving sucks. Everybody wants their normal driver.

More banter for the cover driver.

Customer on a route I have not covered for awhile: "Wow, we haven;t seen you for a long time."

Me: "Hey, I have to spread the love around. That's just how I roll."

barnyard

KTM rider
Standard banter for the cover driver:

Cute looking customer on Bob's route which I am covering: "Hey, your not Bob!"

Me: "Woah, I am much sexier than Bob. We shouldn't even argue about that!"

I get a lot of laughs with that one.. and they usually remember me the next time I cover Bob's route.

Nay, nay, nay.

"Where's the regular guy?????"

Me, "He's been having a pretty tough time lately and is in treatment. Give him a hug when he gets back, support from friends is always nice."

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
One guy that used to cover my trip told people that I was in rehab. Try to explain that when you come back from vacation!

browniehound

I'd rather stay cover than do the worst route in the center. I mean there are some REALLY, REALLY bad routes out there and would not want to be stuck on it for 2 years. At least with cover you can do some very good routes at times. I actually liked cover. It keeps things interesting when the job gets boring. The only drawback is you sacrifice a few rights. If I didn't like my route I would have stayed cover 15 years in.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
One guy that used to cover my trip told people that I was in rehab. Try to explain that when you come back from vacation!

We have a driver in my center who is a HUGE flirt, and he does it in a totally non creepy way.

I was on his route last year and told one of the women at a business that he was fired for sexual harassment.....against me and several other drivers. He was, eventually amused by it.

Indecisi0n

We have a driver in my center who is a HUGE flirt, and he does it in a totally non creepy way.

I was on his route last year and told one of the women at a business that he was fired for sexual harassment.....against me and several other drivers. He was, eventually amused by it.

​Is he good looking?