Coverage Driver Bumping Bid Route

CoffeeStainedUniform

I am lucky to have a bid route with a few drivers above me in senority that are FT coverage.
Question 1: Do they have the right to "bump" me off my route?
Question 2: How is me being laid off supposed to be done, does it have to be written on the weekly schedule?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I am lucky to have a bid route with a few drivers above me in senority that are FT coverage.
Question 2: How is me being laid off supposed to be done, does it have to be written on the weekly schedule?
A senior driver can bump you to work.
Lay offs are mostly daily instances due to call-ins. vacations, excused absences, etc

scooby0048

I should have prefaced my response by saying that we have exactly that scenario in my center because the routes where junior drivers have the bid routes have them because they are S* routes the senior drivers don't want.

There are 4 of us cover drivers who have no route and on Mondays they ask us if we want the day off or they ask if we want to run one of the S* routes. There is one guy who refuses to take any days off so he bumps the junior bid driver and runs the S* route.

scooby0048

I may be laid off more often coming up, by our coverage drivers. It just seems like I should have more notice if the volume is low than to show up in browns to go home again
If you are showing up, then you should be getting a show-up guarantee. Otherwise, they should be calling you off at least an hour before start. Time to talk to your steward.

CoffeeStainedUniform

If you are showing up, then you should be getting a show-up guarantee. Otherwise, they should be calling you off at least an hour before start. Time to talk to your steward.
Thanks. Not a problem yet. They're just making my route tolerable and I expect my hours will go down.

I'm mostly concerned about making sure my Sup follows the rules and doesn't just go by whatever is easiest for him that day.

scooby0048

Thanks. Not a problem yet. They're just making my route tolerable and I expect my hours will go down.

I'm mostly concerned about making sure my Sup follows the rules and doesn't just go by whatever is easiest for him that day.

It's feast or famine right now. If you work, you should be trying to save what you can at least for a couple of months. We have a strike threat looming and the volume typically drops a bit in the summer so you very well might get laid off or you could be working 50-60 hours.

CoffeeStainedUniform

Good advice. Frankly, this is my first contract update...why do people on this forum hate this contract so much?

I thought it did a pretty good job addressing the below living wages for part timers, and the extremely sharp progression wage increases, while providing a C.O.L. increase for both pension and top rates. Now I read posts on this forum and wonder what I missed.

scooby0048

Good advice. Frankly, this is my first contract update...why do people on this forum hate this contract so much?

I thought it did a pretty good job addressing the below living wages for part timers, and the extremely sharp progression wage increases, while providing a C.O.L. increase for both pension and top rates. Now I read posts on this forum and wonder what I missed.

It's too late to get into anything contract related. You have ALOT of reading to do to get caught up. Read enough and you'll see why it's such a S*tty deal.

CoffeeStainedUniform

You nailed it when you said "...If you work, you should be trying to save what you can..."
I dont expect things to get better for employees over the next 25 years. I'll just do a good job and stick as much cash in the proverbial stock drawer as I can.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Answer to question 1. No, they cannot simply bump you off your route. If you are working, the route is yours to do.

Answer to question 2. Layoffs are from the bottom of the seniority list up. In our building (NorCal), layoffs had to be posted on the weekly schedule. No calling you an hour before shift BS, no sending you home BS. If you are on the schedule, you're guaranteed your 8. If you are laid off on the schedule, and they call you in, say on a Tuesday. You worked that day and they were then required to work you the rest of the week. For this reason, nobody on the layoff list would say they couldn't come in, because someone with less seniority would be guaranteed work the rest of the week and you might not get called again.