Covering a 22.2 job vs helping a 22.2 job with his job

User123

The guy who parks trucks in my center is a 22.2 job. Whenever someone covers his job when he is off they make his pay rate (unless they are making more with their normal rate) for the evening. On a nightly basis, I work 2 hours (hours 3-5 of my pt shift) parking half of our centers trucks for my rate. It's not likely they would ever give me that extra pay for the 2 hours I spend directly doing the job he gets paid double for but why is that? Is there a reason that they differentiate between the two?

upschuck

The guy who parks trucks in my center is a 22.2 job. Whenever someone covers his job when he is off they make his pay rate (unless they are making more with their normal rate) for the evening. On a nightly basis, I work 2 hours (hours 3-5 of my pt shift) parking half of our centers trucks for my rate. It's not likely they would ever give me that extra pay for the 2 hours I spend directly doing the job he gets paid double for but why is that? Is there a reason that they differentiate between the two?
The person who covers our 22.2 vacations get her normal rate and doesn't make the 22.2 rate, I believe.

User123

Yea the whole thing is a little odd but when the guy who covered him for his vacations became a driver a few months ago he told me to make sure I got my pay adjusted when I stayed and did his 22.2 job. They didn't fight me at all about it. It just seems odd that either way I am doing the same job but if he is clocked in I make my rate and if he isn't clocked in, i make his rate.

User123

Honestly my entire (5 hour) shift I am a "helper" for this 22.2 job. I pull trucks in and out of the building, I gas them, I park them in the building. I basically do his job with him at a discounted rate. I assume there must be some way that they get out of paying me his rate(via the contract) cause if they had to pay me his full rate they would just work me inside the building instead at my regular pay.