Covid and childcare

Makiveli

Hello this is my first time posting. I can’t find the answer to my question but basically I work preload 430 to 9 AM. My daughters Child care informed me that she could no longer watch her until further notice due to the current situation.

I want to know if ups will use absences against me and if my Insurance will still be valid since I have to watch my daughter? I know they said if you need to take care of a sick family member it wouldn’t be used against you I believe.

it’s already stressful waking her up early to bring her to her grandmothers but I’ve made it work for five years. I rarely call out And have done pre-load for five years.

542thruNthru

Hello this is my first time posting. I can’t find the answer to my question but basically I work preload 430 to 9 AM. My daughters Child care informed me that she could no longer watch her until further notice due to the current situation.

I want to know if ups will use absences against me and if my Insurance will still be valid since I have to watch my daughter? I know they said if you need to take care of a sick family member it wouldn’t be used against you I believe.

it’s already stressful waking her up early to bring her to her grandmothers but I’ve made it work for five years. I rarely call out And have done pre-load for five years.

I understand your situation but UPS doesn't care.

They will still discipline you for attendance. You could try FMLA but I don't think it will be available just for child care.

Makiveli

I understand your situation but UPS doesn't care.

They will still discipline you for attendance. You could try FMLA but I don't think it will be available just for child care.

Thank you, I would use my 3 weeks vacation but they still haven’t sent the sign up sheets around and our stewards are both out on quarantine

Makiveli

Her mother passed away 3 years ago. I know it’s normal for one parent to always be a scumbag nowadays and it’s all fun and games but sometimes it’s not. I guess I’ll just tell them I can’t and that I will take unpaid or if I can sign up for my vacations ahead of time.

542thruNthru

Her mother passed away 3 years ago. I know it’s normal for one parent to always be a scumbag nowadays and it’s all fun and games but sometimes it’s not. I guess I’ll just tell them I can’t and that I will take unpaid or if I can sign up for my vacations ahead of time.

Have you spoken with your sups/manager?

Have you looked for other day cares that may be open right now during this. They were deemed essential I believe.

Makiveli

Have you spoken with your sups/manager?

Have you looked for other day cares that may be open right now during this. They were deemed essential I believe.
Her grandmother watches her during my shift. I work preload I can’t afford that, but if they have a special thing for covid I’ll check it out. I try to abstain for government assistance and use my family in the area. Just wanted to see if any other parents are going thru this situation and what they did. And as far as the sups working, I’ve been there 5 years, I know how it goes. Grievance grievance grievance nothing changes. Done all the things I have been able to do but they just don’t care in that regard.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am very sorry for the loss of your spouse.

Bringing your daughter to her grandmother's house before your shift is inconvenient for all involved. Do you think Grandma would be willing to take her the night before and watch her until you get off work the following morning? IMO this would work out best for all involved. You should then treat Grandma to a nice dinner or perhaps get her a gift card to whatever her favorite online store may be.

All 3 of my grandchildren have had their day care close due to the crisis. Fortunately both of my children are able to work from home and are actually saving $300/week and $530/week, respectively.

Working from home while trying to watch your children is not all that it is cracked up to be.

542thruNthru

Her grandmother watches her during my shift. I work preload I can’t afford that, but if they have a special thing for covid I’ll check it out. I try to abstain for government assistance and use my family in the area. Just wanted to see if any other parents are going thru this situation and what they did. And as far as the sups working, I’ve been there 5 years, I know how it goes. Grievance grievance grievance nothing changes. Done all the things I have been able to do but they just don’t care in that regard.

There is no child care assistance that i know of i just mean day cares are open still.

Why can't your grandmother not watch her anymore?

Makiveli

I am very sorry for the loss of your spouse.

Bringing your daughter to her grandmother's house before your shift is inconvenient for all involved. Do you think Grandma would be willing to take her the night before and watch her until you get off work the following morning? IMO this would work out best for all involved. You should then treat Grandma to a nice dinner or perhaps get her a gift card to whatever her favorite online store may be.

All 3 of my grandchildren have had their day care close due to the crisis. Fortunately both of my children are able to work from home and are actually saving $300/week and $530/week, respectively.

Working from home while trying to watch your children is not all that it is cracked up to be.
I pay her and make her dinner! It’s not that she doesn’t want to watch her, she’s 70 and scared :censored2:less, even more so because of the nature of my job. I can’t blame her, my own mother actually just caught covid coming back from Costa Rica 3 weeks ago. I’m based in New England.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I pay her and make her dinner! It’s not that she doesn’t want to watch her, she’s 70 and scared :censored2:less, even more so because of the nature of my job. I can’t blame her, my own mother actually just caught covid coming back from Costa Rica 3 weeks ago. I’m based in New England.

Obviously you can't "force" her to watch your daughter and I don't blame her for being concerned with what you do for a living. Are there any other family members that can watch her in the interim?

Makiveli

Closest one besides her in roughly 2 hours away. I’m lucky my second job landscaping let’s me bring her with me so money isn’t really the problem. More was concerned about what would happen when I tell them I can’t possibly go in, getting a straight answer out of management is a nightmare at least up here. Only thing I care about is if my job would be secured and I wouldn’t be fired or have my Insurance become invalid while I deal with this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would be one thing if she was going to a certified or registered daycare which had been forced to close due to the crisis. There are provisions in the MOU to cover this. There are no provisions to cover your situation.

Have you been tested yet? Would a negative test put Grandma's fears at ease?

Your work hours make it really hard to have anyone other than a family member or trusted personal friend watch your daughter.

This would suck but do you think the family member that is 2 hours away would be willing to let your daughter stay with them until this whole thing blows over?

The alternative would be to use up whatever personal time that you may have built up and then take "dead days" until Grandma decides to start watching her again.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Closest one besides her in roughly 2 hours away. I’m lucky my second job landscaping let’s me bring her with me so money isn’t really the problem. More was concerned about what would happen when I tell them I can’t possibly go in, getting a straight answer out of management is a nightmare at least up here. Only thing I care about is if my job would be secured and I wouldn’t be fired or have my Insurance become invalid while I deal with this.
Hello, call your local union office. They might not be there. So get online. Ask them what your options are.

Very few mom's post here because they'll get swamped with snide remarks. You sound like a mom out working & trying. You should be able to get some help somewhere. Dept of Health & Welfare could help too. I hear exactly what you're saying about not wanting handouts. That's the right attitude. However, it is there for people just like you and your situation. Nobody should feel guilty or ashamed of using the D of H&W when it's totally legitimate.

Summary; call/e-mail your local

and/or

Contact Dept. Health & Welfare.

Makiveli

Ya it figures...I want to use my 3 weeks vaca so I at least get paid but for whatever reason they are not passing out vacation schedules to pick. Makes no sense we pick them in March every year. If they won’t let me do that then they can fire me or have me sit in a meeting when the steward gets back.

Contrary to many people on here, I don’t mind preload, I mean what else would I do at 3-4am and get bennies part time and allow me to have the whole day to work or do whatever. Sucks that I’m getting paid $280 a week and still have to pay rent bc I’m essential while restaurant workers are getting paid $600 plus and or don’t have to pay rent. It is what it is tho. Life ain’t fair.