Covid policies for training new hires

New_guy

Hello everyone,

I’m almost through my first week of training to become a package delivery driver. I’m looking forward to what will hopefully be a new career working for UPS. I wanted to share my experience and some concerns about my experience to see if I could get some feedback.

Although the training has been conducted mainly through Zoom each day, we are still required to be at the facility in the training room to take part. There are from 1 to 4 trainers there in the room throughout the day and about 12-15 trainees. My concern is that there are a fairly large number of people at a time in the room all day long, most of whom are not wearing masks. Specifically, the instructors have not been wearing masks at all. Social distance guidelines have not been adhered to either. The room has zero windows. This would be a situation in any other circumstance that I would absolutely avoid but since I really need this job I have had to adjust my risk tolerance. This is all in a city that has recently delayed reopening due to rising covid numbers and issued mandatory mask orders.

As a new guy I don’t want to rock the boat but every day when I leave I can’t help wondering if I’m putting myself and my elderly mother (who is a member of my household) at risk. I thought of speaking with the HR person who I have been dealing with but that person wasn’t a mask wearer either... and I really don’t want to stigmatize myself as “that guy”.

Additionally, I am wondering what would happen if myself or one of the other trainees did contract Covid. Having to quarantine and recover seems like would likely result in termination of the hiring process... or being let go shortly after? That is the worst case scenario playing out in my mind.

With so much emphasis on safety at UPS, I am a bit surprised that there is not more caution regarding the health safety of its employees and trainees. Perhaps it is different at other facilities?

Thoughts?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hello everyone,

I’m almost through my first week of training to become a package delivery driver. I’m looking forward to what will hopefully be a new career working for UPS. I wanted to share my experience and some concerns about my experience to see if I could get some feedback.

Although the training has been conducted mainly through Zoom each day, we are still required to be at the facility in the training room to take part. There are from 1 to 4 trainers there in the room throughout the day and about 12-15 trainees. My concern is that there are a fairly large number of people at a time in the room all day long, most of whom are not wearing masks. Specifically, the instructors have not been wearing masks at all. Social distance guidelines have not been adhered to either. The room has zero windows. This would be a situation in any other circumstance that I would absolutely avoid but since I really need this job I have had to adjust my risk tolerance. This is all in a city that has recently delayed reopening due to rising covid numbers and issued mandatory mask orders.

As a new guy I don’t want to rock the boat but every day when I leave I can’t help wondering if I’m putting myself and my elderly mother (who is a member of my household) at risk. I thought of speaking with the HR person who I have been dealing with but that person wasn’t a mask wearer either... and I really don’t want to stigmatize myself as “that guy”.

Additionally, I am wondering what would happen if myself or one of the other trainees did contract Covid. Having to quarantine and recover seems like would likely result in termination of the hiring process... or being let go shortly after? That is the worst case scenario playing out in my mind.

With so much emphasis on safety at UPS, I am a bit surprised that there is not more caution regarding the health safety of its employees and trainees. Perhaps it is different at other facilities?

Thoughts?
Run away

PPH_over_9000

Thoughts?

Wear your mask and keep your distance. I went through the program a few weeks ago and damn near everybody had some kind of face-covering on the Zoom meetings. Our instructors/facilitators typically didn't wear one, but they also hosted their parts of the meetings from an office or an otherwise isolated area.

idk, man, I hate these damn masks... but I also like to err on the side of caution, and I'd hate to bring anything like that home to the family.... I wouldn't make waves but, if someone asks why you're kind of aloof, just be real and say you're worried about the virus and want to practice social distancing. You might get some funny looks but I highly doubt they'll send you home.

Best of luck, bud.

New_guy

Wear your mask and keep your distance. I went through the program a few weeks ago and damn near everybody had some kind of face-covering on the Zoom meetings. Our instructors/facilitators typically didn't wear one, but they also hosted their parts of the meetings from an office or an otherwise isolated area.

idk, man, I hate these damn masks... but I also like to err on the side of caution, and I'd hate to bring anything like that home to the family.... I wouldn't make waves but, if someone asks why you're kind of aloof, just be real and say you're worried about the virus and want to practice social distancing. You might get some funny looks but I highly doubt they'll send you home.

Best of luck, bud.
Thanks for the response. Seems like your experience was slightly better in this regard. I hate the masks too but not as much as I hate hospitals!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello everyone,

Thoughts?

LOL

you’re kidding right?

ManInBrown

I’m amaxed. Every day when I’m at the 5 or 6 different buildings I go to, there are sups riding shotgun in tractors and package cars. Are these people afraid to stick up for Themselves? I’m walking out the door and going home before you’re getting in my tractor with me and doing some dumb safety ride.

X6UPS6X

Hello everyone,

Thoughts?
Did they have you recite your 5 and 10s out loud, over zoom, or an online test of some sort? I heard they are doing some thing s differently.

FreedomOne

Hello everyone,

Thoughts?

There is no emphasis on safety at UPS just the illusion of it.