Coworkers opted not to work and getting unemployment?

Godzilla55

I work for Express and found out 5 couriers at our station “opted out” not to work due to the pandemic. We were told we could do this but would not be compensated. Now I find out these coworkers not only are not working but are getting unemployment along with the additional $600 a week the Feds are kicking in. So, how is it you can make a $1000 a week sitting at home when you DO have a job? And what about us employees that are working and picking up all the slack? Unbelievable we are not getting a little something more out of this. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I work for Express and found out 5 couriers at our station “opted out” not to work due to the pandemic. We were told we could do this but would not be compensated. Now I find out these coworkers not only are not working but are getting unemployment along with the additional $600 a week the Feds are kicking in. So, how is it you can make a $1000 a week sitting at home when you DO have a job? And what about us employees that are working and picking up all the slack? Unbelievable we are not getting a little something more out of this. I’ll get off my soapbox now.
Are you a millennial or gen-x?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I’m a boomer. Most opting out of work are Millennials. Go figure.
As a fellow boomer I'm ashamed of your work ethic. You're getting your hours, and possibly overtime.
Who owes you "something more"?

bacha29

Oh my god. Post some info and everyone gets unhinged.
At the same time if you have some low earnings years that would still be part of your highest 35 years you could use the additional earnings and OT this year to knockout and replace those lower years which might raise your monthly SS benefit a bit.

Working4the1%

Tweet

42ba3cb969becdfe53c8bbf233450c88-seinfeld-meme-jerry-seinfeld.jpg

I am FedEx

At the same time if you have some low earnings years that would still be part of your highest 35 years you could use the additional earnings and OT this year to knockout and replace those lower years which might raise your monthly SS benefit a bit.

Lol social security benefit.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I am surprised that FedEx didn't work to deny their claims.

Same. Express put out a memo stating that you could take off if you were scared of the COVID-19. The compensation would be your vaction/personal/floating holidays first, then your sick days, then the rest of the time would be unpaid.

It's possible that those 5 employees aren't telling a complete and accurate story.