Crap. I have a hernia.

Hannah-banana

I have an indirect inguinal hernia. Not sure that I can prove that it happened at ups. But I know it did. I'm a small woman in preload. Filing a claim sounds like a nightmare and I don't have insurance yet. Any advice?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I have an indirect inguinal hernia. Not sure that I can prove that it happened at ups. But I know it did. I'm a small woman in preload. Filing a claim sounds like a nightmare and I don't have insurance yet. Any advice?
File a claim and let Ups deal with it. If you get hurt on the job then you get hurt, stuff happens.

IESucks

Had a fellow driver say the same thing to me and asked my advice since I've had 3 at ups. I told him to pick a time during his day on his route that he felt a pull or strain in his abdomen/ crotch area. I told him to call in and report it at the exact time and place and what he was trying to lift correctly.(pick a heavy box) He said that even though he's sure it was ups's fault he didn't think he should. Long story short, they denied the workers comp claim because he couldn't pinpoint the time and place. He was out 6 weeks with no pay. The only thing is if you've already seen a doctor your out of luck. You can still claim it was ups's fault but I strongly suggest you have a date and time to pinpoint it on. And what you were lifting or struggling with. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Heavy Package

Not sure that I can prove that it happened at ups. But I know it did. I'm a small woman in preload. Filing a claim sounds like a nightmare and I don't have insurance yet. Any advice?

You should immediately file a claim. This is America, not China, and you have the right to be treated fairly and have medical professionals and experts take care of this. You work at UPS in pre-load. Honestly where else could this have happened? Just tell the truth and you should be fine. Best of luck in your treatment. DO NOT be intimidated by UPS. That is BS.

UPeopleSuck

Just pretend like you hurt it on your next shift... done this a few times when I wasn’t sure about an injury. Essentially “re-enact” it during a similar movement then go to your sup.

can a doctor say for certain it happened at ups? Read up on your states comp laws. Ups might try saying you waited too long, or how can you be sure it happened at work?

YOU MUST FILE A CLAIM. Ups then has a right argue against the claim. Don’t let them deny you by not filing a claim. If your claim is denied by the state, you can appeal. You can also contact the ombudsman in your state.

A hernia is not an uncommon injury at ups. I have never seen one denied by the state.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm in the same boat OP. I've been a preloader for four months, and I'm questioning if I can stand it in the long run.

I thought things would improve after peak but it hasn't.

The pattern is the corporate human meat grinder vibe of just always pushing people harder and harder. Pushing the volume to the point of it being impossible to maintain egress on the entire pen.

Then of course, blaming the workers for any problems. The work is fine, it's the dehumanizing disregard from management that bothers me.

I'm considering other options

I guess one of your other options was getting a hernia?

Maplewood

Had a fellow driver say the same thing to me and asked my advice since I've had 3 at ups. I told him to pick a time during his day on his route that he felt a pull or strain in his abdomen/ crotch area. I told him to call in and report it at the exact time and place and what he was trying to lift correctly.(pick a heavy box) He said that even though he's sure it was ups's fault he didn't think he should. Long story short, they denied the workers comp claim because he couldn't pinpoint the time and place. He was out 6 weeks with no pay. The only thing is if you've already seen a doctor your out of luck. You can still claim it was ups's fault but I strongly suggest you have a date and time to pinpoint it on. And what you were lifting or struggling with. Good luck
You already :censored2:ed up if you went to a doctor already without reporting the injury first. That only means UPS will try to bully you even worse. Report it to your supervisor, get a state injury form, don't leave work without a copy of the form you filled out. As for when and where just refer to it as a condition that has gotten worse over time. Take that form to a doctor. Only the Doctor or the State gets to determine if it's an occupational injury. You and UPS and any insurance company don't get to make that determination. Sadly I have seen plenty of employees of this company bullied and forced to shoulder the burden of their work injury.
You need to clear this up immediately. The longer you wait the harder it's gonna be for you. It is illegal for UPS to deny you State injury form. All they can do is appeal. Meanwhile you should be getting free medical attention and paid while you are off work. It's the Law.

Johney

You already :censored2:ed up if you went to a doctor already without reporting the injury first. That only means UPS will try to bully you even worse. Report it to your supervisor, get a state injury form, don't leave work without a copy of the form you filled out. As for when and where just refer to it as a condition that has gotten worse over time. Take that form to a doctor. Only the Doctor or the State gets to determine if it's an occupational injury. You and UPS and any insurance company don't get to make that determination. Sadly I have seen plenty of employees of this company bullied and forced to shoulder the burden of their work injury.
You need to clear this up immediately. The longer you wait the harder it's gonna be for you. It is illegal for UPS to deny you State injury form. All they can do is appeal. Meanwhile you should be getting free medical attention and paid while you are off work. It's the Law.
No but they can deny it causing you to hire an attorney and if they want to fight you hard enough send you in front of a workers comp judge for them to decide. Which around here there is a year and a half to two year backlog.

IESucks

Wow. Lolo. Not sure it works that way at ups. In fact I'm positive

over9five

Staff member
I once had a hernia. It was discovered during my physical, so I had no idea how or when it happened. Someone, a UPS nurse I think, asked me how I suppose I had done it. "Lifting heavy boxes at UPS", I answered. Nothing else happened, I went on comp, had it fixed.
Just sayin', anyone who suggests this happened outside of UPS is gonna look like a fool. You lift heavy items every day for a living, of course that's where it happened.
Maybe they'll screw with people they think they can get away with it with, maybe I'm the type they know not to fool with, I don't know.
But I'd file that claim right away.
You already went to a doctor? So what, you had a pain you wanted checked out. Now you're filing because OF COURSE it happened at work.
Haven't gone to a doctor yet? I'd lean towards doing what @IESucks said just to be safe.
Good luck, either way file tomorrow.

IESucks

I once had a hernia. It was discovered during my physical, so I had no idea how or when it happened. Someone, a UPS nurse I think, asked me how I suppose I had done it. "Lifting heavy boxes at UPS", I answered. Nothing else happened, I went on comp, had it fixed.
Just sayin', anyone who suggests this happened outside of UPS is gonna look like a fool. You lift heavy items every day for a living, of course that's where it happened.
Maybe they'll screw with people they think they can get away with it with, maybe I'm the type they know not to fool with, I don't know.
But I'd file that claim right away.
You already went to a doctor? So what, you had a pain you wanted checked out. Now you're filing because OF COURSE it happened at work.
Haven't gone to a doctor yet? I'd lean towards doing what @IESucks said just to be safe.
Good luck, either way file tomorrow.
All I'm saying is, I've seen many a driver try to get workers comp to pay for it. If you don't tell them a time or place it happened they always denied coverage. I speak from actual experience. My abdomen looks like a checkerboard. Lol everyone occurred after the weight increase. Go figure