Crazy feeder accident

Johney

Really? You can lose control and jacknife, total a tractor and two trailers, and they won't fire you? I'm not saying the guy won't get his job back, that depends on his record, but unless the police charge someone else for being at fault or the investigation reveals some kind of equipment malfunction that guy is gonna get some time off.
Yup. I know of at least three guys who have rolled sets for whatever reason one was back on the road by the end of the week. Now the guy who recently burned his rear pup to the ground for not doing a proper pretrip on a bypass set is getting fired, but I'm sure he'll be back after a while.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
why.never heard of a term for an accident in feeders. now several in a certain length of time, yes.
Most guys get their jobs back, only permanent terminations I ever saw in Feeders were for stealing time. But yeah, you lay a set on its side you better have a good explanation or you're getting fired.

MaceFremonti

Yup. I know of at least three guys who have rolled sets for whatever reason one was back on the road by the end of the week. Now the guy who recently burned his rear pup to the ground for not doing a proper pretrip on a bypass set is getting fired, but I'm sure he'll be back after a while.

What did he miss that set the rear pup on fire?

Johney

What did he miss that set the rear pup on fire?
Apparently the air lines were left open on the rear trailer and it backfed air to the rear trailer brakes causing them to heat up and catch fire. I heard that the guy who originally built the set had a problem getting to the meet point and had to stop and rebuild the set causing him to be late to the meet point. I guess he never closed the air lines and the meet guy who had a 5 hour trip back and was already late just hooked up and hauled ass so about 20 miles down the road guess what. There must have been just enough drag as to not stop the trailer yet still heat the brakes up. Once that happens forget it it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is that an automatic termination in feeders?
Pretty much.

Umm....

Not an immediate termination, but "taken out of service" pending investigation.

Article 18 Section 3

Not here.

Not to doubt your word, but that would be surprising. (too me)

I have never seen a feeder driver that laid down a set.... not sit out for a couple months.

-Bug-

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Umm....

Not an immediate termination, but "taken out of service" pending investigation.

Article 18 Section 3

-Bug-
Well, he said "automatic", not "immediate" which is what I was responding to. They will obviously conduct an investigation first and I doubt they will fire the driver while he's in the hospital, although I have seen that happen. They might not fire the guy at all, I've seen folks do some pretty crazy stuff and not get fired, but it's definitely the pattern around here to fire drivers for a serious accident if the company determines them to be at fault.

Johney

Not to doubt your word, but that would be surprising. (too me)

I have never seen a feeder driver that laid down a set.... not sit out for a couple months.

-Bug-
I know it's hard to believe and I'm sure far from the norm, but I've seen it happen more than once. Don't misunderstand me they do sit out.....just not very long. Seems maybe they conduct their investigations rapidly?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Apparently the air lines were left open on the rear trailer and it backfed air to the rear trailer brakes causing them to heat up and catch fire. I heard that the guy who originally built the set had a problem getting to the meet point and had to stop and rebuild the set causing him to be late to the meet point. I guess he never closed the air lines and the meet guy who had a 5 hour trip back and was already late just hooked up and hauled ass so about 20 miles down the road guess what. There must have been just enough drag as to not stop the trailer yet still heat the brakes up. Once that happens forget it it.
My guess was hub oil, I didn’t even know leaving the valves open on the back would do that. I had a meet point driver leave me a single pup one night with the service line open on the back. I caught it in the pretrip and closed it but I wonder how he got it all the way there if that’s what happens when it’s left open.

Johney

My guess was hub oil, I didn’t even know leaving the valves open on the back would do that. I had a meet point driver leave me a single pup one night with the service line open on the back. I caught it in the pretrip and closed it but I wonder how he got it all the way there if that’s what happens when it’s left open.
No it was not hub oil. It was the airline both were left open so the red was backfeeding air to the blue. I too never thought about it. Although part of the Pretrip is to check both valves on the rear trailer.

Last edited:

MaceFremonti

I had a "buddy" open both valves on my rear trailer one day in New Stanton as a joke. He had quietly come up behind me as I was finishing putting the set together and I never saw him.

I start to pull out of NEWPA's 400 section and the set feels REALLY heavy. By the time I get to the phones I realize something is not right so I make a quick u-turn and head to the shop. NEWPA by the way has the absolute BEST trailer guys that UPS has.

I pull in, the shop guys ask me what's going on and I say it feels like the brakes are dragging somewhere. They quickly deduce it's because both rear valves are wide open.

That's impossible I say, they roll their eyes, close the valves, and I'm on my way trying to figure out how in the hell I made such an error.

About 45 minutes out my "buddy" calls me and asks me if I left NEWPA on time. I say I did. He says you didnt have any issues? Nope I reply. He hesitates and says uh, you might want to pull over and check your air on your back box....

Needless to say when we got off that night we had a nice little chat in the parking lot.

quad decade guy

I had a "buddy" open both valves on my rear trailer one day in New Stanton as a joke. He had quietly come up behind me as I was finishing putting the set together and I never saw him.

I start to pull out of NEWPA's 400 section and the set feels REALLY heavy. By the time I get to the phones I realize something is not right so I make a quick u-turn and head to the shop. NEWPA by the way has the absolute BEST trailer guys that UPS has.

I pull in, the shop guys ask me what's going on and I say it feels like the brakes are dragging somewhere. They quickly deduce it's because both rear valves are wide open.

That's impossible I say, they roll their eyes, close the valves, and I'm on my way trying to figure out how in the hell I made such an error.

About 45 minutes out my "buddy" calls me and asks me if I left NEWPA on time. I say I did. He says you didnt have any issues? Nope I reply. He hesitates and says uh, you might want to pull over and check your air on your back box....

Needless to say when we got off that night we had a nice little chat in the parking lot.

See, it's stupid juvenile crap like this that get's people killed. There was a popular cafe meet point around here. Older senior drivers thought it funny to pull the dolly handle of fellow driver. End of career for instigator. OMG. Funny stuff...that.

Johney

There was a popular cafe meet point around here. Older senior drivers thought it funny to pull the dolly handle of fellow driver.
So the rear drops off onto likely lifted landing gear and possibly broken air/electrical lines? What kind of a maroon does crap like this? Not only fired, but should have his face kicked in.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
So the rear drops off onto likely lifted landing gear and possibly broken air/electrical lines? What kind of a maroon does crap like this? Not only fired, but should have his face kicked in.
That is 100% an ass whoopin if you do that to me.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm having a hard time believing someone would actually do that. I've heard the stories about truckers pulling someone else's 5th wheel release at a rest stop because they're mad at them, but pulling the dolly handle as a joke?

Johney

I'm having a hard time believing someone would actually do that. I've heard the stories about truckers pulling someone else's 5th wheel release at a rest stop because they're mad at them, but pulling the dolly handle as a joke?
You know that's kinda what I was thinking. No way in hell a UPS driver would do that to another at least not anything to that degree. I have heard of guys placing clear tape over a red glad hand on an M/T a fellow driver was scheduled to pull resulting in the trailer not moving(if they didn't catch it)but that's the extent of shenanigans I've heard of nothing to the extent of damage being done.