Crossing picket lines of striking customers to deliver

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I tried to search for this but didn't see any relevant information. So I have a customer who's workers might go on strike this Monday. For the 2nd day in a row their management asked me if I would deliver there if that happened. I've never encountered such a situation before so I don't know what the 'rules' are. Are we, as union employees, not supposed to cross the picket lines of another union on strike? If not, how would I explain that to management? If they instruct me to deliver and I don't, couldn't I be fired for failure to follow directions? I'm gonna ask about it when I get back to the building but I wanted to get some feedback from some of the senior drivers here who know more about this kind of stuff.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Only encountered a picket line once. I was covering a route and I sheeted packages exempt for "strike". never heard a word about it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If their strike is legitimate, do not cross.

The Teamsters will stand behind you, and your management will have to make other arrangements for their deliveries.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I tried to search for this but didn't see any relevant information. So I have a customer who's workers might go on strike this Monday. For the 2nd day in a row their management asked me if I would deliver there if that happened. I've never encountered such a situation before so I don't know what the 'rules' are. Are we, as union employees, not supposed to cross the picket lines of another union on strike? If not, how would I explain that to management? If they instruct me to deliver and I don't, couldn't I be fired for failure to follow directions? I'm gonna ask about it when I get back to the building but I wanted to get some feedback from some of the senior drivers here who know more about this kind of stuff.
They cannot instruct you to deliver there. They can arrange an alternate delivery location that doesn't involve crossing a picket line.

rod

Retired 22 years
Honor all legitimate picket lines. Bring their stuff back and inform your management why. In fact it won't hurt to inform them Monday morning so they can check to see if this company went out on strike over the weekend.

Faceplanted

Had a place on strike where in my center. The bid driver attempted to deliver to the said location, the guys on strike called up teamsters and a cpl Stewards had a talk with said driver. I think he is one of the cpl drivers who doesn't pay dues. Our management even told him to honor the strike

I covered his route one day when they were on strike, sheeted packages nr1 put strike in comments. Supervisor from said company wanted to meet me to pick up packages and set up meet point, I told ods sup I didn't feel safe or comfortable doing so. Made his ass come get them from the hub

Support union brothers!!!

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Thanks for the info guys! Guess I won't be delivering to that place till the strike is over. What do you think my management will do? This place is a bulk stop that gets about 10 NDA and 50 pieces daily.

oldupsman

Thanks for the info guys! Guess I won't be delivering to that place till the strike is over. What do you think my management will do? This place is a bulk stop that gets about 10 NDA and 50 pieces daily.

Doesn't matter what they do. Not your concern. Always honor legitimate picket lines. There will be no
repercussions.

clean hairy

Read the contract, Doggone it!!
Article 9 page 28 provides all info in regards to crossing picket lines.
I just read it, but someone else will have to read it to give the answer to the OP question.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We just had a verizon strike end this summer. I will not cross it. I told our management. They held all deliveries and called them to come and pick up their boxes. I think it was a month later they reached an agreement. All of those guys still come up to me to say thanks for honoring their cause. 11 % raises

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Usually during strikes, UPS will agree to arrangements for them to pick it up.
We've had a few nursing homes that would have a pallet waiting for them weekly.

As a rule, UPS drivers are never to cross picket lines.

Browntown2014

You never cross a picket line.

Browntown2014

We just had a verizon strike end this summer. I will not cross it. I told our management. They held all deliveries and called them to come and pick up their boxes. I think it was a month later they reached an agreement. All of those guys still come up to me to say thanks for honoring their cause. 11 % raises

To the credit of our management here they told us to NOT cross Verizon's picket line. Just sheet it up as strike

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Article 9 of the Master.
ARTICLE 9. PROTECTION OF RIGHTS
Section 1. Picket Line
It shall not be a violation of this Agreement and it shall not be cause
for discharge or disciplinary action (including but not limited to the
temporary or permanent replacement of any employee) in the event
an employee refuses to enter upon any property involved in a pri-
mary labor dispute, or refuses to go through or work behind any pri-
mary picket line, including the primary picket line of Unions party
to this Agreement, and including primary picket lines at the
Employer’s place of business, and the Employer shall not direct any
employee to cross a primary picket line.
Section 2. Struck Goods
It shall not be a violation of this Agreement and it shall not be a
cause for discharge or disciplinary action if any employee refuses to
perform any service which his/her Employer undertakes to perform
as an ally of an employer or person whose employees are on strike,
and which service, but for such strikes, would be performed by the
employees of the employer or person on strike.