Crossing the Picket Line

542thruNthru

I couldn't drive a school bus dealing with today's kids a few hours a day, can you imagine spending all day with 45 kids teaching them?

I can for 75k, pension, home by 4:30pm everyday, weekends off, every holiday off and all summer off.

Not saying the jobs not hard but I would do it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It’s probably more about the class sizes and resource allocation. Doesn’t matter what you make if you’ve got 50 kids in your class who you’re also buying supplies for and your workday is unmanageable.

I read a 1st grade teacher has 26+ students with no teachers assistant and a school nurse one day per week. I volunteered in my son's class a few years back when he was in first grade, there is no way the kids in LA are getting the education they deserve with that many children and no assistant. Especially if there is a sick child and the teacher has to drop everything to take care of that child. Kids that age need lots of 1 on 1 attention.

I'm sure LA also has a ton of private schools which lowers the overall quality of student for the public schools as well.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What country is Los Angeles in?

upload_2019-1-15_16-23-49.png

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can for 75k, pension, home by 4:30pm everyday, weekends off, every holiday off and all summer off.

Not saying the jobs not hard but I would do it.
You willing to take on $50k in student loans to make that happen? To earn $75k per year in the Los Angeles area? Good luck buying a house on that income...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You willing to take on $50k in student loans to make that happen? To earn $75k per year in the Los Angeles area? Good luck buying a house on that income...
Then why go into teaching? More still, why stay in a place that is priced so high?

542thruNthru

Yep I'm willing. Money isn't everything and having all that time I could easily work another job that let me work my own schedule to supplement my income.

Also 100k a year doesn't buy you a house in LA either.

I feel sorry for teachers. They work as much or more then us, get paid here in Ohio $40-$50,000 less per year then we do. Deal with parents who at the drop of a hat freak out because their kid is not Albert Einstein (with no help from them), gets in trouble all the time. All because people suck at parenting. Oh and the 184 days you talk about has about 20-30 hours of OT built in it during the teaching season. Then they have to go to school in the summer and pay fees to keep getting shafted and disrespected by everyone. I will stick with cardboard and :censored2: bosses that is can laugh at. You go get that teaching job.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
For the most part if you have to physically cross a strike line, don't deliver. If everyone but management is gone and someone is at the office, go ahead. I would call the district main office since that would be a good way to CYA.

Sorry, but you’ve no idea what you’re babbling about

@burrhead your rite those examples are made up and not just personal experience. Good talk. All I’m saying is it looks great from the outside looking in but I guarantee that there are plenty of teachers that would love the opportunity to drop their jobs and make $36 an hour to sling cardboard. The grass is always greener and unless you have done the job you never really understand what they go through. Just like public think all our trucks have air conditioning. Lol