Cubital / carpal tunnel?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
One is done at the wrist and the other is done at the elbow. Anyone ever have both done and what is the recovery time? Ortho says I should be good in a few days. People I have talked to whom had carpal surgery say anything from 5 days to 10 weeks off for recovery.

Things I have read say 2 weeks to 6 months, sometimes a year. Seems like there is so much variance, I have no idea what to expect. I'm just trying to get an "average" and see if it's worth getting done sooner rather than later. Also, if anyone has had the surgery, has it helped, made it worse, or remained unchanged.

scooby0048

Cubital?

I had ulnar nerve release surgery in both elbows. Two weeks off, two weeks light duty.
Cubital / ulnar release is the same, just didn't know if some had heard it called ulnar release. 2 weeks light duty...was UPS accommodating towards you for this? I'm being told that since it is not work related, there would be no TAW and since there are restrictions, ie light duty, there would be no work for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cubital / ulnar release is the same, just didn't know if some had heard it called ulnar release. 2 weeks light duty...was UPS accommodating towards you for this? I'm being told that since it is not work related, there would be no TAW and since there are restrictions, ie light duty, there would be no work for me.

How is it not work related?

scooby0048

How is it not work related?
There's a longer backstory to this that I just don't think anyone wants to hear. It is, (I think) but not from UPS. The ortho is guessing that it is carpal / cubital but more elaborate tests have not been done and that's why they are opting for surgery since it's quick and *cough* (most likely carpal / cubital syndrome)

Just out of curiosity, how would it be work related from UPS. I am naive on carpal tunnel but didnt think what we do would contribute to it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's a longer backstory to this that I just don't think anyone wants to hear. It is, (I think) but not from UPS. The ortho is guessing that it is carpal / cubital but more elaborate tests have not been done and that's why they are opting for surgery since it's quick and *cough* (most likely carpal / cubital syndrome)

Just out of curiosity, how would it be work related from UPS. I am naive on carpal tunnel but didnt think what we do would contribute to it.

Have you had the EMG yet?

Mine was determined to be caused by repetitive option and was covered by comp.

scooby0048

Just don't choose your surgeon based on a coupon from the Yellow Pages.

It's funny you say that. He was highly recommended but I also heard others tell me to just flip open a phone book and pick one as carpal tunnel surgery is so simple anyone could do it. I asked him how long it took to do and he told me, " usually an hour but I have done so many that I can get in and out in about 40 mins"

Can't say I was happy about his bragging. Been stressed out since then hence why I'm on here getting input.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I got carpal tunnel in both wrists, surgery in one. I was back to playing drums and lifting weights a week post surgery. Granted this was in my early twenties.

scooby0048

Have you had the EMG yet?

Mine was determined to be caused by repetitive option and was covered by comp.

That's the nerve induction right? I had one done long time ago after the original issue but not recently. This ortho said that insurance did not require one so one was not done.