current ops sup from a union ltl company considering joing UPS as a driver

doneitall

Hello All
real quick about me, currently operations supervisor at a major unionized LTL carrier so I know all about how management will suck you life, the good the bad and disconnect between drivers, dockmen and mid level management and higher level management putting all on their frontline supervisors. I know all that ......

Im considering resigning from my current job and get hired on as a full time temporary seasonal package deliver driver or tractor trailer driver as I am qualified and have plenty of driving experience for either position
My intention is to get my foot in the door and progress into a management position , can anyone tell me if thats possible? what can i expect if I do make my intentions clear during an interview?
no i have not applied yet but in the local market that i am it is hard to find drivers with clean spotless record I know for a fact that i would be considered , all i have to do is apply

any and all opinions are welcome
btw Im new here :)

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
hmm. so, you are leaving a high-level job for a shot at a maybe temp job. makes sense

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Hello All
real quick about me, currently operations supervisor at a major unionized LTL carrier so I know all about how management will suck you life, the good the bad and disconnect between drivers, dockmen and mid level management and higher level management putting all on their frontline supervisors. I know all that ......

Im considering resigning from my current job and get hired on as a full time temporary seasonal package deliver driver or tractor trailer driver as I am qualified and have plenty of driving experience for either position
My intention is to get my foot in the door and progress into a management position , can anyone tell me if thats possible? what can i expect if I do make my intentions clear during an interview?
no i have not applied yet but in the local market that i am it is hard to find drivers with clean spotless record I know for a fact that i would be considered , all i have to do is apply

any and all opinions are welcome
btw Im new here :)
Once you go driving, then see how management is treated here, you'll stay driving. This is of course if you're coming from a place that actually treats its management staff with the ability to make decisions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Once you go driving, then see how management is treated here, you'll stay driving. This is of course if you're coming from a place that actually treats its management staff with the ability to make decisions.

You are showing your age ... the unawareness hydra rears it's heads again.
Remember, UPS is becoming like the rest of the corporations.
Therefore, I'm sure he is already aware of that aspect of operations management.

doneitall

hellfire
this ia hardly a high-level job, im just a piss ant who needs to do as he is told, and every decision is being analyzed to no end, to add insutl to injury our technology is about 20 years behind competition so everything we do is in hour heads, the stress is through the roof at times and it affects my life and health. I have a CDL, used to drive as well own trucks and operate my own small trucking company ( im under 40 mind you)
Jack B
im the kind of individual that does not need guardian angel and warn me of the managment, here is the universal rule of a thumb, managment always suck and are bunch of morans blah blah blahhhhh.....i have heard it all , to understand management you need to stop thinking like a driver and have to understand that company needs come first, always , live with it, it aint going to change for anyone

my financial situation is ok and i could afford to take that risk, i gambled like this few times in the past thats why im am where i am and it will always be on my resume ,
never get to complaisant at one place

doneitall

no i do not have a degree, and i know where i can stick my complaints about how i feel and where it will get me, at least at UPS there is as advancement options and decent pay i would think, i have not gotten a raise in 4 yrs
I dont mind working under stressful situations, although well paid job that does not require lot of thinking ( sorry , speaking as a former driver , dont get all bent out of shape ) woudl be nice change of pace thats once of the reasons i kept my CDL , place to fall back on just in case

Catatonic

Nine Lives
no i do not have a degree, and i know where i can stick my complaints about how i feel and where it will get me, at least at UPS there is as advancement options and decent pay i would think, i have not gotten a raise in 4 yrs
I dont mind working under stressful situations, although well paid job that does not require lot of thinking ( sorry , speaking as a former driver , dont get all bent out of shape ) woudl be nice change of pace thats once of the reasons i kept my CDL , place to fall back on just in case

I'm sure there are exceptions but UPS does not promote someone into management unless they have a degree.

I know that one is not needed to be in management in operations but that is a prerequisite.

doneitall

thanks Hoaxter,
what are the chances of getting a full time job offer from seasonal ? I might just go back to the roots of it all and be a driver again , life was easier than ......

Catatonic

Nine Lives
thanks Hoaxter,
what are the chances of getting a full time job offer from seasonal ? I might just go back to the roots of it all and be a driver again , life was easier than ......

Not good if you are from the "outside" - it is 1 outsider to 6 part-timers in most locations.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
once u drive n find out about how shady management is youll want to stay in driving. once you sell your soul to go into management have fun looking at yourself in the mirror knowing your living your life as a lie as somebody that cant be themselves.

doneitall

the things we do for a paycheck.......some people make 200 stops a day , some ppl tell other ppl to make 300 stops a day , while yet other ppl tell the people who tell to make 300 to make 400 stops and on and on and on, and its never good enough, no matter what, if everything and everyone was perfect all packages or freight would get delivered daily with out damage shortage or injuries with no over time and company would make profit on every day, but the only perfect days are days off so you can hate management all you want, its human nature to dislike your superiors and if they crack down on the deadbeats and you get offended than you are part of the problem , not calling anyone out here, just saying ,

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It depends on your location...but I'd put money on slim to none. Union spot...seniority rules. After seasonal driving they'll tell you you'll be put on a list. The ratio is either 6-1 or 7-1 for hiring outside of the part timers. And usually it's a pt management going driving. In my almost 17 years, I've seen one person get hired off the street...and it was at a small center with only 16 drivers.

UPSGUY72

the things we do for a paycheck.......some people make 200 stops a day , some ppl tell other ppl to make 300 stops a day , while yet other ppl tell the people who tell to make 300 to make 400 stops and on and on and on, and its never good enough, no matter what, if everything and everyone was perfect all packages or freight would get delivered daily with out damage shortage or injuries with no over time and company would make profit on every day, but the only perfect days are days off so you can hate management all you want, its human nature to dislike your superiors and if they crack down on the deadbeats and you get offended than you are part of the problem , not calling anyone out here, just saying ,

Your best bet would be to apply for a job at UPS freight if your looking to eventually get a permanent job... The hiring process for freight is different than for package cars.