Currently TCD - Driving only Saturdays...

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Currently TCD - Driving only Saturdays now, due to long-term investigation outlined elsewhere.

I was going in for local sort, maybe 4 hours/night, $44.- gross. It is completely for the birds.

I am now completely disappointed with my experience at UPS. I have not qualified, so I am still part time.

I want to tell my center manager that I want to only drive Saturdays, and work my new, real, paying job during the week. If UPS were to need me as a driver, I would consider it at this point - but only consider it. The vast majority of the drivers in our center hate their job. Life is too short.

Anyone here know of a situation where someone chose to stay part time (for the benefits) working just minimal hours?

When I started, I was Mr. Gung-Ho, Mr. UPS. I now hate the place. It is a tool for benefits, nothing else.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Currently TCD - Driving only Saturdays now, due to long-term investigation outlined elsewhere.

I was going in for local sort, maybe 4 hours/night, $44.- gross. It is completely for the birds.

I am now completely disappointed with my experience at UPS. I have not qualified, so I am still part time.

I want to tell my center manager that I want to only drive Saturdays, and work my new, real, paying job during the week. If UPS were to need me as a driver, I would consider it at this point - but only consider it. The vast majority of the drivers in our center hate their job. Life is too short.

Anyone here know of a situation where someone chose to stay part time (for the benefits) working just minimal hours?

When I started, I was Mr. Gung-Ho, Mr. UPS. I now hate the place. It is a tool for benefits, nothing else.

No reason to hate ... just a means.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I don't think there are Sat driving jobs only, at least not here. There has been talk of doing just that, (Sat driving jobs) but so far no one has acted on it.

LED

I have seen people wait for years to drive. They will drive for a week or so, and then decide that they do not like it. Many go back to part-time and stay there.

I know of at least 10 that have been at UPS part-time for over 10 years, with no desire to ever drive.

On a side note: UPS does offer a pension for part-time employees. Not sure how long you have to be here to get it.

evilleace

There are lots of people in my center who only work pt for the benefits and and have been there 10 or fifteen yrs we even have one 25+ yr pt employee

UnconTROLLed

perfection

They still have saturdays for union members?

Around here it's "Hey guys, no Saturday work today, don't bother coming in!" and 6 supervisors split up the stops and go out for 6 hours

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
No reason to hate ... just a means.

Absolutely agree - not hating (well, not as much anymore, just feel I wasted so much time that I won't get back)

I am aware that UPS if full of long-time part timers. I was wondering if there is any way to work the bare minimum hours just to continue getting benefits, as in just working Saturdays.

For some reason I was thinking one would have to work more than just Saturdays to qualify for any of the benefits. Never done that so I don't know for sure.