Customer concern

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I received a customer concern yesterday which said that I improperly RTS'd a package. I deliver to a local marina which has a policy of not accepting deliveries for boaters without prior approval. Thursday I had a package for a boater which was promptly RTS'd. I had another one yesterday for the same boater which I also promptly RTS'd. Shortly thereafter I received an ODS asking me to call the center. I did and was told about the concern. I reminded them of the marina policy and the fact that there is a sign placed right behind the checkout counter which clearly spells out their policy. I asked the marina for permission to take a cell phone pic of the sign. They asked me if the boater had given us a hard time, as he had given them a hard time, and I told him that he had and they told me to take the picture, which I did and then sent it to my center manager's cell phone. He downloaded the pic, printed and attached it to the concern. The boater is a Canadian and unfortunately they don't think the rules apply to them while they are here in the States. The concern was closed out as invalid. The evening clerk, who was also shown the pic, told me she would have loved to have RTS'd this package as well.

My point? Not all customer concerns are valid ones and you should provide your mgt team with proof of invalid concerns.
Sign.jpg

over9five

Staff member
As long as you made the three attempts the shipper paid for, you did the right thing.

The customer could have tracked the first attempt, and then given the marina prior approval for the next attempt.

Are you a runner and gunner????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As long as you made the three attempts the shipper paid for, you did the right thing.

3 attempts? The package was refused on the first attempt per marina policy. They do not accept personal packages for boaters without prior approval. The boaters take it upon themselves to order stuff and have it sent there thinking that since it is there the marina will accept it. They don't.

The customer could have tracked the first attempt, and then given the marina prior approval for the next attempt.

The package was refused by the marina. The customer then tracked it and called in the concern. The package was placed on SDWC but I went back to the marina to deliver it so that I could take a picture of the sign.

If you call a driver who follows the procedure(s) put in place by the customer a runner/gunner than I am a runner/gunner.

I agree with Ovah. Make three attempts and if during the course of those three the consignee doesn't get approval for the delivery then tough beans on them.

over9five

Staff member
Uhh, the marina was not the customer......

You let someone who had nothing to do with the package refuse it???

I think the shipper paid for three attempts, and I think you should have made three attempts because maybe the boater might have cleared it with the marina by attempt three.

Slow down, do the job right.

Indecisi0n

I think the shipper paid for three attempts, and I think you should have made three attempts because maybe the boater might have cleared it with the marina by attempt three.

I agree. Just another runner looking for short cuts.

Either walk into the business with the package and ask if he wants it or at least write down the tracking # and who it is from and go into the business to see if he will accept the package. Like Over said someone paid for 3 attempts so they deserve it UNLESS they tell you the first time "I want to refuse it." We don't use signs here.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I kind of agree that the marina can not refuse the package. They are not the customer in this case. I would probably sheeted as NSP and taken to clerks to find an alternate delivery location.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The address the consignee used is the address for the marina. They are using the address without permission from the marina. The marina receives other packages as well, which they accept, but when I walk in with packages for the boaters I am told by the marina that they will not accept delivery unless the boater receives prior approval, which is rarely or ever given. I am not allowed nor am I about to go down to the dock, walk out to their slip number and attempt delivery there. This is a refusal and unless the consignee arranges for a SDWC the pkg is then RTS'd. I am simply following the policy of the customer which is no delivery of personal packages without prior approval. Now, if I had walked in and they said that this particular customer had asked for and received prior approval they I would have had no problem delivering the package. I would much rather get rid of them than to have to bring them back.

The boaters are more than welcome to set up an account at the UPS Store or Mail Boxes Etc for the summer and have their mail and packages sent there. They can even have them sent to us and have them held at the center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree. Just another runner looking for short cuts.

Either walk into the business with the package and ask if he wants it or at least write down the tracking # and who it is from and go into the business to see if he will accept the package. Like Over said someone paid for 3 attempts so they deserve it UNLESS they tell you the first time "I want to refuse it." We don't use signs here.

They did tell me on the first attempt that they were refusing delivery of the package. I took a picture of the sign to show my mgt team what the policy of the marina was in regard to personal packages. I agree that we don't use signs, especially on the pickup side of things, but I wanted to provide proof of what the marina policy is.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If an apartment complex office refused to take a package because it wa actually to a tenant and not the office but said tenant forgot to put the apt number on it does that mean the office can refuse it? No!!!! It just means all the necessary information was not there to make the delivery on the first attempt. I realize this probably happens a lot at this place and is very annoying. However the only person with the right to refuse a delivery is the individual whose name is on it.

I kind of agree that the marina can not refuse the package. They are not the customer in this case. I would probably sheeted as NSP and taken to clerks to find an alternate delivery location.

The marina can refuse to sign for the package but the customer should be given a chance to arrange its delivery. If the driver doesn't want to hump it three days then put the marina number on the box and let the clerk try and contact the consignee. If they don't respond the rts.

westin

You not in the pkg 3 attempts to give customer time to make arrangments. 3 attempts is our promise to shipper. You might as well go work at Fedex ground. Sounds like their thinking. Hate when guys like you run my route. Create any excuse to not deliver any pkg.

I agree with Ovah. Make three attempts and if during the course of those three the consignee doesn't get approval for the delivery then tough beans on them.
That's what I would do also. We are a service company. Even though ups says we are a logistics company good drivers like us truly know we are really a service company.

Im 407 and I approve this message

CAFAL

Seems to me the issue lies between the boater and marina. Upstate clearly attempted delivery. Marina clearly refused delivery. Any more attempts would be stealing company time. If the boater had time to call in a concern, then they could have cleared delivery with the marina. How would you guys sheet this package without falsifying records? You can't dr to marina then have one package ni1. You can't put in as a second stop. Say the marina accepted the package, and boater says they never received it? The marina has their policy as does ups for a reason.

You not in the pkg 3 attempts to give customer time to make arrangments. 3 attempts is our promise to shipper. You might as well go work at Fedex ground. Sounds like their thinking. Hate when guys like you run my route. Create any excuse to not deliver any pkg.

En anglais s'il vous plait?

I had a new customer on my route recently ask me why I thank him everyday after I pick up his stuff. I said because I'm greatful for his business. He said he had never had a ups driver do this ever. I said you will now"because that's how I roll".

UPSGUY72

Happens all the time.

Three attempts if no one is there someone was there and they refused the package they didn't want to sign for it that's refused that not Ni1 come back tomorrow till there is someone there they will sign for it.

A delivery Attempt was made at the business where there is one delivery location. They refused to sign for the package because it wasn't their's (ie they don't want to be responsible for other people stuff as they obviously had problems in the past ). Leaving a DN for the customer to sign isn't going to help as again the maria isn't going to accept the package so where is Upstate going to leave the package.

Upstate did the right thing going back for 3 attempt is just waste of time as he is going to keep getting the same results unless the person the package was addressed to was personally waiting for him at the delivery location to sign for the package.

CAFAL

The marina can refuse to sign for the package but the customer should be given a chance to arrange its delivery. If the driver doesn't want to hump it three days then put the marina number on the box and let the clerk try and contact the consignee. If they don't respond the rts.

Didn't they have a chance when they ordered the package? This happened to me last month. Package addressed to marina. Boater called ups,oms contacted me, I called customer to arrange delivery. Marina was never involved.

UPSGUY72

I had a new customer on my route recently ask me why I thank him everyday after I pick up his stuff. I said because I'm greatful for his business. He said he had never had a ups driver do this ever. I said you will now"because that's how I roll".

I roll the same way.