Customer question regarding releasing driver liability for deliveries

SignalEcho

Hi all,

First and foremost, I am a customer and not an employee for UPS. I apologize if this is intruding as a result, but I have a question after some frustration in dealing with customer support and our local hub. Ultimately, my goal is to cause less frustration to our delivery person who is being considerate in not leaving our packages due to potential theft (high traffic area).

Some background to the issue (the long of it):

My wife and I ordered books with a specific delivery date for our partner's daughter. We will not see her for another week, and were excited to give her these things as a back-to-school gift. The package was not left by our delivery person out of concern for potential of theft, and the liability he would have to assume in doing so.

We contacted the customer service number to explore the option of releasing liability of the delivery person, since we both work until 6:00pm. We are in a multi-family house where we know our neighbors, and have confirmed that packages may be left at alternate entrances. We cannot confirm that they would be home during these deliveries. We were given conflicting information by two different representatives and a supervisor, who all ultimately said we should fill out a form (which I cannot locate on the UPS website, as directed to check) that would release the delivery person's liability in unsigned delivery (exception of signature required packages noted and understood). I was directed to the local hub, who contacted me with additional information that conflicted (leave a written, signed note for the driver) with previous contact.

Due to my wife's frustration, since we missed the opportunity to give this gift to our partner's daughter, our delivery person circled back and gave us the package today. I spoke with him to clarify what needs to happen next, and when he contacted the hub, he was told that the form was on the UPS.com website. I have been unable to locate such a thing besides information on the "Shipper Release" option that can be provided by the shipper.

I don't want to cause undue difficulty to our delivery person, so I am reaching out to those who would most likely know methods around the red tape.

The short of it (too long; didn't read):

I would like to fill out a form or use correct verbiage in releasing our delivery person from liability of leaving packages at our residence. We will be glad to work with our neighbors to use their alternate (obscured) entrance as a drop. Is there such a form, or have I been handed back and forth too much?

Thank you in advance for your insight, and I apologize for the length of the post!

- Wesson

Indecisi0n

There is a form but as I understand it, it's up to the drivers descretion to leave the package or not. We are not allowed to leave a package at a multi dwelling house/unit. You better of trying to contact a neighbor who can take/sign for you.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is a form but as I understand it, it's up to the drivers descretion to leave the package or not. We are not allowed to leave a package at a multi dwelling house/unit. You better of trying to contact a neighbor who can take/sign for you.

That's not true. We cannot (or should not) driver release (DR) to multi dwelling houses, since they are basically like apartments (unsecured, greater chance of theft).

Wesson, you can leave a handwritten(or typed & signed) note on your door that authorizes us to leave the package. i have several customers who live in apartments and they have notes up year round authorizing both UPS and FedEx deliveries to be left at their door. We treat that note the same as one of our infonotices that has been signed.

Indecisi0n

We are not allowed to accept info notices as signatures. I was told if the diad is not signed in person to treat it as an attempt. If a customer leaves me a note and the area is sketchy I will not accept the note as signature.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Either sign the back of UPS INFO notice for release and leave notice on front door for driver to see, (note it wont work for Signature required pieces), or leave a note stating please deliver package to my nieghbor with nieghbors address and name. You could also "will Call" it and pick it up from your Hub next day or same day depending on what time your driver gets back to hub.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
SignalEcho, you could also call UPS or leave the driver a note and ask for the package address to be changed for delivery at your work address the next day.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We are not allowed to accept info notices as signatures. I was told if the diad is not signed in person to treat it as an attempt. If a customer leaves me a note and the area is sketchy I will not accept the note as signature.

why the hell not?? If the package is NOT a signature required, you leave an infonotice, and if the next day it is signed, you leave it. By the consignee signing it UPS is released from any and all liability should the package get stolen.

I suspect whoever told you that is a little slow.....because this would result in WAYYYY too many send agains, and management hates those.

If I get a signed delivery notice in the ghetto, I leave the package. If the consignee wants their neighbors to have a free package then why should I go against their wishes??

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You need to send a letter to your local UPS center releasing us of liability of all packages left at your door in a multi-unit building. Once received, a note is entered into our DIAD that a DR Release Letter Is On File for your unit and parcels can be left w/o a signature.

brown bomber

brown bomber
back when I was working (in the process of retiring), we were allowed to DR packages to secure multi-unit buildings........therefore, if the main entry door was locked, and you gained access, you were free and clear to DR pkgs. I had keys to several apts., so I rarely send agains to apt. buildings not sure if this is still a standard practice

C

chuchu

You need to send a letter to your local UPS center releasing us of liability of all packages left at your door in a multi-unit building. Once received, a note is entered into our DIAD that a DR Release Letter Is On File for your unit and parcels can be left w/o a signature.
That is how we were trained too. A signed delivery notice doesn't release the driver from responsibilty of a bad driver release charge against the driver by UPS management. We still have to be able to hide it from public view. If there is ever a claim from you (the consignee) it will be FOREVER for us to be able to leave ANY package in the future without a physical signature in person. Many customers in our area have sent letters to the local UPS center (not UPS Store!) absolving UPS of any responsibility of claims. That usually works. If you have the package address changed after it was shipped UPS will "address correct" it and there will be a charge of $5.00 for ground and $10.00 for air packages (each package) billed back to the shipper and they may bill YOU. If you are going to ship it to your place of work give the shipper your work address at the time you order it. It is actually cheaper to have it shipped to a commercial address. Also, a "shipper release" package does NOT have to be left by the driver...it is the still up to each driver to leave it (i.e. checks, medicine, etc) on the first attempt. If the pkg is not left the first time you will have to go pick it up at UPS. THANK YOU for your business!

DorkHead

why the hell not?? If the package is NOT a signature required, you leave an infonotice, and if the next day it is signed, you leave it. By the consignee signing it UPS is released from any and all liability should the package get stolen.

This has happened to me before. I was not held accountable because I followed correct procedures but UPS still paid the claim on this pkg. This address was then put in the Diad as NO DR Allowed.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I suspect whoever told you that is a little slow.....because this would result in WAYYYY too many send agains, and management hates those.

If I get a signed delivery notice in the ghetto, I leave the package. If the consignee wants their neighbors to have a free package then why should I go against their wishes??

I never accept a signed delivery notice, and I'll tell you why.
Some years ago I was included in a meeting with other drivers like myself in high claims areas.
This meeting was chaired by the head of LP along with several center managers.
The question arose as to when it was acceptable to leave a package when a signed delivery notice was present.
It was almost comical to watch these "executives" heatedly argue amongst themselves in the presence of a room full of drivers.
They never could come to a consensus on the subject.
I have since asked many supes that same question and never got the same answer twice.
They have never taken issue with me not accepting signed delivery notices, but when and if they do, I plan to tell them to provide me with written guidelines and I will.
I believe Art 10 of the National Master in conjunction with this story, which can be corroborated by a room full of drivers, will validate this course of action.
In addition, in my building, there is nothing more than a manila envelope in the OMS office used to control these signed delivery notices.
It's a slip shot system that I will not buy into.
I never have, nor will I concern myself with send agains.
I follow the methods and simply don't care how many I have.