Customers that want you to call them..

undies

There is an apartment complex on this route, no code for access and the tenant does not have their name on the call box. They have a note on the door asking to call their cell phone so they can go down and get their stuff.

NI3 today.

undies

I tried it a few times when I started driving. Had people calling me asking about their packages...I was already on a different route. Very annoying.

I will do anything to get rid of it the first time. Otherwise you come back everyday. Who cares if they have your number? Most will delete it at the end of the day.

bumped

I will do anything to get rid of it the first time. Otherwise you come back everyday. Who cares if they have your number? Most will delete it at the end of the day.

Who cares if you come back the next day. You still get paid for it. Its not like the old days as your getting the stops anyways whether its in your regular area or and extra subdivision.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When I got my first cell phone back in '94, I was young and dumb and I thought it would be a good idea to save time by calling customers and giving my number out to any customer who wanted it.

BIG mistake. Within a matter of weeks it became unmanageable. I had customers giving my number out to their friends and neighbors, I had customers calling on the weekends, I had them calling when I was on vacation and demanding that I give them the number of whoever was running my route. I wound up changing my number and telling customers that I had dropped and broken my phone in order to solve the problem.

20 years later and there is only ONE customer on my entire route that has my number. She runs a business out of her home which is clear up on top of a mountain at the highest point on the route, and when it snows she will text me and warn me not to try and make it up her driveway and then we use our phones to set up an alternate meet point. She owns a one-ton 4x4 with a winch and has made it clear to me that I can call her any time I get stuck near her house. On a rural route up in the hills its pretty handy having a local with a 4x4 on my speed dial.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Your personal cell number is just that...personal. It's not a UPS hotline. That's what the 800 number is for. Just stay within the limits UPS places on itself and who cares if you have to go back the next day...you're probably going to be in the area anyway.

Packmule

Many of my customers have my number. I have hundreds of theirs in a file book in the truck. Mostly they get used for winter problems. Never felt like any of them abused my number anymore than I abuse theirs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with PT----I will do whatever it takes to try to get rid of it on the first day. I will use my cellphone if I need an apartment number or to otherwise fix a bad address and will then do the ADC on road. Yes, there are people who will try to take advantage of you after that point, but that is what caller ID is for.

UPSGUY72

I don't call any customer be it the 1st or 3rd deliver attempt.

I rarely use my cell phone for work if I do it's to call the center to tell them I'm booking off or it's to call one of my SUP's for something. I gone as far as not keeping other driver numbers in my phone either. If I need to meet a driver on the road I set it up by the DIAD.