cut backs cut backs

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If your woried about UPS being troubled logistically, just give on your own to the charity of your choice.

I do not participate in the UPS United Way campain, I give my money to the charity I choose without any cut of it going to someone else.

pretzel_man

THE CEO OF THE UNITED WAY MADE OVER 3 MILLION DOLLERS LAST YEAR.

THAT WAS HIS CUT. SO WHEN UPS CALLS YOU IN FOR A DONATION TELL

THEM NO YOU ARE CUTING BACK:peaceful: JUST LIKE YOU HERE EVERY DAY

WHEN THEY PUT THAT EXTRA SEC ON YOU

PEICE:happy-very:

Please quote your source..... I've looked all over and have seen no evidence of the salary you claim.

Brian Gallagher is the president and CEO. Charity Navigator quotes his 2007 salary as $530K.

The United Way's form 990 for 2008 also shows a much lower number than you posted. It says his compensation was less than $1M.

The way I understand form 990 compensation includes base salary, bonuses, deferred compensation and benefits.

I have found zero evidence that he made $3M. Please provide your source.

BTW, United way rates very highly in charitable efficiency. Look at charity navigator for more info.

P-Man

TSup

The CEO of United Way made over three million dollars last year. That was his "cut".

When you are asked to make your pledge tell UPS you are "cutting" back.

Maybe they will think twice about putting that extra second on you.

Peace.

Where did you get this info?
One of your buddies tell you so it must be true?
Well it's not according to the Federal 2008 tax documents
He made just over $627,000 (look at page 75 of the document)
http://national.unitedway.org/AnnualReport/upload/2008_Form_990.pdf

Next time you want to bash a charity, check your facts first. You only hurt those that need help when you spread false info.

Stran

Holy Toledo
I give to United Way because I have worked for a United Way funded agency in the past...when I was part time. Lke any organization you can find fault with something if you look hard enough. But if you look at the good that the agencies receiving funds do in your communities..or even volunteer some time to them..you will find a small contribution is worth while. I also give funds to local ministries that do not receve United Way funds. You may never know who benefited from your giving. A neighbor, a co-worker, or someone in your extended families...just my honest opinion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where did you get this info?
One of your buddies tell you so it must be true?
Well it's not according to the Federal 2008 tax documents
He made just over $627,000 (look at page 75 of the document)
http://national.unitedway.org/AnnualReport/upload/2008_Form_990.pdf

Next time you want to bash a charity, check your facts first. You only hurt those that need help when you spread false info.

If you would have bothered to take the time to read the OP you would have seen that I had simply translated it from his gibberish to something that could be read. I do not agree with what he wrote.

pretender

No, you quit giving because you had an excuse. You never wanted to in the 1st place but could not think of a good reason without being a dick.

With all due respect, you have no idea how much and to whom I give, my friend. I don't care how good the cause is, it is not right to cut a person's hours because they choose not to contribute...

helenofcalifornia

Is anyone else disturbed by UPSOCK's statement that he cuts hourlies pay by $10 a week if they don't contribute? The arrogance! (where is spell check when you need it?) Don't bash me, I contribute to a specific charity each year.
Socks, ain't for you to pass judgement on others for not donating part of their check each week.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Is anyone else disturbed by UPSOCK's statement that he cuts hourlies pay by $10 a week if they don't contribute? The arrogance! (where is spell check when you need it?) Don't bash me, I contribute to a specific charity each year.
Socks, ain't for you to pass judgement on others for not donating part of their check each week.
Helen, he is sooo full of **** it's not even funny. He is all mouth. There is no way he gets away with talking like this in any other place than right here and only becasue Cheryl is so tolerant of ******. If he were a sup at any of our centers we eat him for lunch.

Big Babooba

Mr UPS Socks
Just talks and talks
Within his head
You'll just find rocks
If it is true
He'll get some grief
For stealing pay
Is a legal beef

reydluap

"I quoted this sentence as I don't think it is entirely accurate. Yes, UPS does match our contribution, but I believe it is matched by a single donation to United Way, not 350,000 or so individual donations to specific charities. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare of trying to do that? For example, I donate mine to the local Hospice while a co-worker donates his to the Boy Scouts. UPS would match our donations but that money would go to UW to use as they see fit."

Upstate,

Yes and no. When you donate to to your local Hospice for example, that money you specify goes to Hospice in your area. PLUS, the Hospice organization request money from the United Way and still receive their fare share with the extra monies availiable. So in a round about way, they do get it. The amount you specify for them doesn't get used against them for other financial request.

UPSSOCKS

Helen, he is sooo full of **** it's not even funny. He is all mouth. There is no way he gets away with talking like this in any other place than right here and only becasue Cheryl is so tolerant of ******. If he were a sup at any of our centers we eat him for lunch.

Not you wouldn't. You might eat alot for lunch but you wouldn't eat me.

UPSSOCKS

I cut 15 minutes a day off everyone because of the non givers. When I first started my campaign I tried to cut just the people that didn't give. I got myself in a trick box due to seniority. So I whispered to the right people that if everyone didn't give everyone will be penalized.. It worked.. I want a dollar and if you can't give it, I'll take a hour.

UPSSOCKS

It's funny how people cry and complain on here about time, grievances, benefits, and everything else. Some people don't have to worry about that stuff. Some people don't have jobs to support or feed their family. UPS asks for you to give back a small percentage of your earnings to help people in need. I ask my part time employees to give a dollar a week. If they don't I take ten a week off of them by cutting their time. Interesting stat 92% of my employees give. For all you non givers, I hope you need the United Way one day. Imagine getting struck by a natural disaster, Imagine your homes burning down, imagine your family starving. Because when United Way offers you help don't accept it. The truth is, the people that don't give will be the first ones in line with their hands out.

I keep posting this but someone keeps taking it down without an explanation.

rod

Retired 22 years
I cut 15 minutes a day off everyone because of the non givers. When I first started my campaign I tried to cut just the people that didn't give. I got myself in a trick box due to seniority. So I whispered to the right people that if everyone didn't give everyone will be penalized.. It worked.. I want a dollar and if you can't give it, I'll take a hour.

I wish you had been my old sup. I tried every trick in the book to get less hours but always got the opposite. I would have quit giving to United Way long before I did if thats all it took to get a cut.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Why doesn't UPS let us contribute to the charity of our choice, or if it is too difficult to track and dispense the funds, can't they enlarge the choices? Maybe offering say 10 additional charities?

UPSSOCKS

Why doesn't UPS let us contribute to the charity of our choice, or if it is too difficult to track and dispense the funds, can't they enlarge the choices? Maybe offering say 10 additional charities?

You can pick any non-profit you want to. I designate mine to a local agency. You can donate to any non profit organization in the United States. Fire Depts, Animal Shelters, Cancer Research, Abused Women, anything you want. On your United Way card write in where you want your contribution to go. As far as tracking out where you funds go, I get a christmas card every year from where I donate to, thanking me for my donation.

chopstic

After a quick google search for united way exec salaries, I am very surprised and disturbed. Although I didn't find the claimed 3 million dollar salary, I found a 2 million dollar retirement package, and claims of 300k-500k salaries.

I must thank the OP for this post. This sheds a lot more light on the United Way. They are run by a CEO that is asking all of us to donate our time and money, while he over fills his bank account with more money than he can probably spend. Where is this guy's priorities? I can understand taking a reasonable salary, but making yourself wealthy is over the top selfish in a charitable organization.

I for one am going to cancel my 2010 UW weekly donation tomorrow at work, as I would rather give my money to a charitable organization that isn't "in the business" to make themselves a millionaire.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Curious, how do you end your UW donation? I tried to last time around during the summer, and they just keep taking money from me. When mgnt asked me to donate, I said I was giving nothign this year. I heard you have to contact payroll. Is this true?

chopstic

Curious, how do you end your UW donation? I tried to last time around during the summer, and they just keep taking money from me. When mgnt asked me to donate, I said I was giving nothign this year. I heard you have to contact payroll. Is this true?

I'm sure there has to be some way to cancel the donation commitment. I'm just going to contact my HR rep.