cut backs cut backs

UPSSOCKS

no your turn smart aleck got the 800 number waiting on you see if you have the balls to tell the truth

Your going to tell on me? I wish I had balls like you. You are one bad dude. Maybe after you tell on me you can suck your thumb and twirl your hair. Please don't call the 800 number. Anything but that... :happy-very:

Wow, how bout this, I'll give you a list of names.

Archie
Judith
James
Todd

These are four employees that I like to make sure work is the worst part of their day. I just don't like the way they look. Pick one name and tomorrow I am going to make that person quit. If you don't pick I will pick for you and the girl will be too easy. Oh and when you are done, come shine my shoes.....

Yeah, because supporting women's health and access to contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancies is a truly awful thing.

In case you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic. :happy-very:
You aren't that naive are you? Planned Parenthood does much more than just that. Like it or not, agree with it or not some people don't feel it is morally correct to put money in the hands of people that think abortion is the same as a contraceptive. and you know what that is the individuals right to believe that way.

By the way, I love all the half baked justifications you guys come up with for not helping the less fortunate despite the fact that you all are very lucky to get a job that pays $70K or in many cases higher for unskilled labor.

I am a lowly part timer. And I still give, because I make enough to get by on (albeit barely) and I know there are people who can't.

The reason to give or not is each individuals choice, what you call half baked may well be a valid reason to others. Again it isn't your choice what anyone else does nor your right to judge them. When I was a PTer I didn't give to UW because I needed every penny I earned at UPS. I had two kids in high school, my wife was in her third year of teaching and didn't make much money. The utility bills took precedence over UW. I do believe that charity starts at home.

I have a different take from Socks pressuring of his part time employees. This is based on part time employees that worked for me.

I have heard every excuse under the sun as to why someone won't or can't give to United Way. Though I don't agree with not giving something, it is your choice but PLEASE don't make excuses. You have to live with it not me.

I have always contributed to non-profits and charities. At UPS I gave the average of what other full-time employees gave, but it took me by a shameful surprise to see my part-time employees (under no coercion) giving more money than me. These were individuals who made 10% of what I made. They were extraordinary people who I was very proud to be associated with. Needless to say I became a leadership giver that year. I also matched the weekly contribution amount that any employee gave as a personal thank you.

For all leadership givers (and I had at least 20), I would hold a steak & chicken BBQ in the hub and I would personally buy the food as an additional appreciation for their effort.

I say with all sencerity, hooray for you and your staff.

Anyone who is a giver knows there is no better feeling you can get from doing something for someone else with no other motive.

The Jewish faith teaches there are three levels of charity, what you just stated actually reads like the second one in the list. The third (and the highest) says, giving to someone you don't know and they don't know you and no one (but you of course) knows that you have given.
(Disclaimer: I am not Jewish, so if anyone here is and I misquoted this, please correct me.)

hedgehead

like i thought i knew you wouldnt because you know you are wrong just the reason the union is so strong having to work with people like you keep up the bad manners and the union gets stronger

chopstic

By the way, I love all the half baked justifications you guys come up with for not helping the less fortunate despite the fact that you all are very lucky to get a job that pays $70K or in many cases higher for unskilled labor.

I am a lowly part timer. And I still give, because I make enough to get by on (albeit barely) and I know there are people who can't.

I have no excuse not to pay charity, but I DEFINITLY have an excuse not to pay this guys 3 million dollar salary. Where do you think that money is coming from? United Way doesn't grow money on trees. That money is coming out of heartfelt donations that people believe are going towards charity, not multi-million dollar salaries.

UPSSOCKS

like i thought i knew you wouldnt because you know you are wrong just the reason the union is so strong having to work with people like you keep up the bad manners and the union gets stronger

the union is weak, the only ones that are strong are the one collecting your union dues.....

blue efficacy

I have no excuse not to pay charity, but I DEFINITLY have an excuse not to pay this guys 3 million dollar salary. Where do you think that money is coming from? United Way doesn't grow money on trees. That money is coming out of heartfelt donations that people believe are going towards charity, not multi-million dollar salaries.
Unfortunate fact is there is no magic way for money to get from UPS paychecks to the people who need it. It would be nice if this were possible. But like any product, it needs a distributor. And to manage these huge amounts of money requires skillful management. It's a lot like UPS, instead of packages they handle donations, and instead of consignees they have a myriad of different charities and such.

Sadly, in this country of overpaid CEOs it requires a large salary such as this to recruit and retain somebody with the competency required to run such an organization.

Not donating won't hurt the CEO. However, it will hurt the less fortunate in your community.

I am all for the excessive pressuring management gives us to give. Human beings by nature are selfish, especially if they are Republican, so sometimes it takes a little bit of prodding to get them to give a few bucks to where it will take care of basic needs, rather than wants.

over9five

Staff member
I am all for the excessive pressuring management gives us to give. Human beings by nature are selfish, especially if they are Republican, so sometimes it takes a little bit of prodding to get them to give a few bucks to where it will take care of basic needs, rather than wants.

Yikes! Those damn selfish Republicans! Thank God the nice thoughtful loving Democrats keep those ugly Republicans in their place.

satellitedriver

Unfortunate fact is there is no magic way for money to get from UPS paychecks to the people who need it.Yes, there is a "magic" way. I write checks directly to the charity from the monies I earned with my UPS paycheck. It would be nice if this were possible. But like any product, it needs a distributor.No middle man needed for me to give directly to the needy. And to manage these huge amounts of money requires skillful management.With a slice of the pie, to pay for their expertise in directing money that could be given directly. It's a lot like UPS, instead of packages they handle donations, and instead of consignees they have a myriad of different charities and such.

Sadly, in this country of overpaid CEOs it requires a large salary such as this to recruit and retain somebody with the competency required to run such an organization.Maybe, they could donate their time instead of taking a salary. That ain't gonna happen, since they need "their" money.

Not donating won't hurt the CEO. However, it will hurt the less fortunate in your community.

I am all for the excessive pressuring management gives us to give. Human beings by nature are selfish, especially if they are Republican,I am a Republican and I have 3 charities that direct draft from my bank account every month, by my choosing. No middle man needed. Every cent goes to them. so sometimes it takes a little bit of prodding to get them to give a few bucks to where it will take care of basic needs, rather than wants.
I am totally committed to the concept and action of charity. In my community, I am hands on. In other areas, I send my money to try and help.
This is not a political issue between political parties
BTW,
I do not give one red cent to United Way.

UPS Lifer

You think you're being sarcastic, but you're actually speaking the truth. Good stuff.

Thank you for providing a good definition for what "delusional" means.

According to Wikipedia - 22% of the people consider themselves liberal. That means the other 78% of the population is OTHER than liberal.

I will stand with the other 78% - Thank you very much. I am personally willing to give you and the other 22% of the liberals San Francisco. You can elect Nancy Pelosi as president and then the rest of the USA can declare San Franciso as part of the "axis of evil" and declare war!

Yeah! ...that will work for me. Actually - I really like San Francisco so I will have to come up with another city for you.... maybe Oakland. I am not a fan of the Oakland Raiders so YEAH that is a better choice. You can still have Nancy and I will throw in Howard Dean as VP and Harry Reid will soon be out of a job so you can make him Secretary of the Fence!

Please quote your source..... I've looked all over and have seen no evidence of the salary you claim.

Brian Gallagher is the president and CEO. Charity Navigator quotes his 2007 salary as $530K.

The United Way's form 990 for 2008 also shows a much lower number than you posted. It says his compensation was less than $1M.

The way I understand form 990 compensation includes base salary, bonuses, deferred compensation and benefits.

I have found zero evidence that he made $3M. Please provide your source.

BTW, United way rates very highly in charitable efficiency. Look at charity navigator for more info.

P-Man