CVS Caremark PBM

Delivered

Retail price: For generic Lipitor (maintenance med) CVS charged $150, Costco only charges $17.*
The generic Lexapro found at CVS for $126 could be had at Costco for $7.*
*Source Consumer Reports

Do you think the Teamcare Trustees negotiate our CVS caremark plan to a price less than Costco already charges at Retail? Costco not only offers a mail in option for maintenance meds, but there is no membership required if you happen to live near a Costco. Perhaps Teamcare should use Costco as their PBM, and be better stewards with the plans $$

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I get what your saying in regards to maintenance medications going through CVS mail order.... but I highly doubt teamcare is gonna be paying CVS anywhere near what they charge at a retail store. CVS Caremark is the second largest PBM second only to Medco, which is who I'm using through my UPS plan now. Costco is not a Pharmacy Benefit Manager at all as far as I know.

Considering CVS is the second largest PBM in the US, and the number of teamcare members there are about to be.... I'm pretty sure the rx prices teamcare pays are gonna be pretty darn competitive.

Delivered

I get what your saying in regards to maintenance medications going through CVS mail order.... but I highly doubt teamcare is gonna be paying CVS anywhere near what they charge at a retail store. CVS Caremark is the second largest PBM second only to Medco, which is who I'm using through my UPS plan now. Costco is not a Pharmacy Benefit Manager at all as far as I know.

Considering CVS is the second largest PBM in the US, and the number of teamcare members there are about to be.... I'm pretty sure the rx prices teamcare pays are gonna be pretty darn competitive.

Costco does provide a PBM, I'd be interested in seeing what Medco or CVS Caremark negotiated rates are considering the Costco retail rates.

Costco PBM

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Interesting. I too would like to see what prices each PBM would give us. I'm guessing the people in charge have already done that dance though.

Delivered

Retail Drug Costs
drug-costs-compar.jpg

av8torntn

I thought all you had to do was get 90 days at a time supply to be able to go to a pharmacy. This is so confusing.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I thought all you had to do was get 90 days at a time supply to be able to go to a pharmacy. This is so confusing.
If you take a medicine on a regular basis, it's a "maintenance" medication. You'll need to get those through the mail order program..... There's a form you can just give to your doctor and they'll fax it in for you. You won't have to go pick up your medicine anymore, it will be delivered to you.

If you just need a medicine once or twice, like antibiotics when you get sick, you can go to the store and pick them up.

BrownChoice

In my area we will be getting the Enhanced prescription benefits and it says we can now fill at any retail pharm. in caremarks plan. 10% or 50$ is what we pay, whichever is lesser.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I hate CVS with a passion, they have the highest prices. I refilled one of my maintenance prescriptions yesterday. It went from $30 a month to $42. I called the pharmacist on the price jack, he was shocked when I told him I would only have to pay $5 January 1st when the new contract takes effect. CVS sucks, I'm amazed we have to use that ripoff company.

RealPerson

I hate CVS with a passion, they have the highest prices. I refilled one of my maintenance prescriptions yesterday. It went from $30 a month to $42. I called the pharmacist on the price jack, he was shocked when I told him I would only have to pay $5 January 1st when the new contract takes effect. CVS sucks, I'm amazed we have to use that ripoff company.

It ONLY takes place IF all Supplements pass...

RealPerson

Not what my local is telling members. It is what it is. National master passed. It's not going to change Vote that mattered allready friend'ed us all

Well it says it ON the DVD they sent out. and it says it on Every Mailing. They write it at the bottom.

It also says it on the website....

One reason is they expect it to pass and be done with by Jan 01. Even if there was another vote....

But yeah hall himself says on the DVD IF all supplements pass

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

What about maintenance meds that are a controlled substance? They must be picked up at the pharmacy & you must show a picture I D.

The way I read the new plan, I'll be paying a lot after the initial in store prescription.

upschuck

It'll be free, if you use Caremark mail order. Price only goes up if you use retail pharmacy for maintenance scripts. Plus being a controlled substance UPS would deliver it overnight with adult signature. I've used Caremark for years now, and the only problem I have is with their website, not the best in my opinion. You can't be free though.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that they had to be picked up in store since it was controlled substance.

av8torntn

If you take a medicine on a regular basis, it's a "maintenance" medication. You'll need to get those through the mail order program..... There's a form you can just give to your doctor and they'll fax it in for you. You won't have to go pick up your medicine anymore, it will be delivered to you.

If you just need a medicine once or twice, like antibiotics when you get sick, you can go to the store and pick them up.

So that's a change to the current plan correct? Now I pick up my "maintenance medicine" in 90 day supplies from the pharmacy(CVS). This seems very confusing.

cynic

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that they had to be picked up in store since it was controlled substance.

upschuck is correct. So much nicer than having to go into CVS monthly and having to show multiple ID's, pass a retinal scan, give blood, etc to pick up my kids' Adderall.

And in Texas we have to show similar ID for getting Sudafed because we're all mixing up batches of crank in 2-liter bottles in our closet. Grrrrrrrrrrrr