Dangerous Delivery

Re-Raise

I am a 30 yr employee and a 23yr driver. I just returned to work last week from a lost time injury after being off for 10 weeks.

Apparently while I was gone a driver on the route next to mine had some kind of problem with a customer. The customer called UPS..I am not sure what number he called.. and said "If a UPS driver ever comes in my garage again I will shoot and kill him"

My center held his packages and I guess a person in security has talked to him and UPS has now decided it is safe to deliver there now. I think the CIA talked to the Orlando shooter a couple of times..

Well of course they are cutting my route Monday which puts me on a combo route making me the first one to deliver to this clown.

What would you do in this situation? If UPS really cared about our safety, I would think this guy would have just given up all of his UPS privileges!

upschuck

I'd say that customer as just having a bad day, everybody has them. He has had a cooling off time, and is probably fine, unlike the many, many other people who keep it all inside, those are the one's you worry about.

Box Ox

Sounds like you should just release to a front or side door from now on.

Garages are shady business anyway. Tools, stuff you don't know about, cars potentially rolling over DR packages, customers potentially tripping over it on their garage steps.

Re-Raise

I'd say that customer as just having a bad day, everybody has them. He has had a cooling off time, and is probably fine, unlike the many, many other people who keep it all inside, those are the one's you worry about.
I am actually really surprised by your response. To say he "is probably fine" is amazing to me. If I went into a business and threatened to shoot and kill an employee there I would be arrested.

I don't feel comfortable at a rural delivery where this guy could come up with any story he wanted about why he killed me on his property.

Re-Raise

Sounds like you should just release to a front or side door from now on.

Garages are shady business anyway. Tools, stuff you don't know about, cars potentially rolling over DR packages, customers potentially tripping over it on their garage steps.
It wasn't me that went into his garage.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I am actually really surprised by your response. To say he "is probably fine" is amazing to me. If I went into a business and threatened to shoot and kill an employee there I would be arrested.

I don't feel comfortable at a rural delivery where this guy could come up with any story he wanted about why he killed me on his property.
Except now UPS is aware of the threat and I doubt the guy would be stupid enough to do anything to you, knowing they know.

upschuck

I actually heard a customer say this, called the center to notify driver, but by the time the driver got it, he responded it was already delivered, and had absolutely no problems. It is all smoke to make them feel superior.

It would be much more dangerous going into some of these inter-city slums, then going to this address.

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't know him. He lives down a 1/4 mile driveway in a timber. I don't even know what his problem was with the other driver, yet.

Some customers are nuts. I knew one who complained and one driver wasn't allowed to deliver to him. If he had a delivery it went on the route next to his to deliver. That guy even complained about an ORS who was not allowed there. I got along with him fine but you had to be really careful what you said because he might take it the wrong way.

Re-Raise

I actually heard a customer say this, called the center to notify driver, but by the time the driver got it, he responded it was already delivered, and had absolutely no problems. It is all smoke to make them feel superior.

It would be much more dangerous going into some of these inter-city slums, then going to this address.
Apparently people can feel free to threaten you or yours and face no consequences? Not in my world.

upschuck

Apparently people can feel free to threaten you or yours and face no consequences? Not in my world.
Just telling you how I feel on the subject. You can feel free to do whatever you want to do. Don't go in the garage, not that big of a deal, probably has contraband there that he does not want you to see.

Driveslayer

Unfortunately them hot headed jersey folks have invaded the south. Problems like this are all to common down here! That's why I took a rural route cuz they are scared of the woods!

Re-Raise

Just telling you how I feel on the subject. You can feel free to do whatever you want to do. Don't go in the garage, not that big of a deal, probably has contraband there that he does not want you to see.
I just can't believe you can threaten an employee of a business and the business doesn't deny you services from then on. Why do we have to deliver to him? Who knows how crazy he is?

The company thinks I can't walk up and down the steps of my package car without one hand on the handrail, but will send me onto the property of someone who said they will shoot and kill me?!?

I guess it makes sense to you, but it doesn't make sense to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am also really surprised by his response. A bad day would be "get the :censored2: off of my property", not threatening to kill the next UPS driver to come on his property.

If it were my route I would refuse to deliver there until the consignee agrees to put a "drop box" out by the road. No way I would drive 1/4 mile in to a known hostile situation.

Why would they care? They can get someone else just like you if anything happens.

Really??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just can't believe you can threaten an employee of a business and the business doesn't deny you services from then on. Why do we have to deliver to him? Who knows how crazy he is?

The company thinks I can't walk up and down the steps of my package car without one hand on the handrail, but will send me onto the property of someone who said they will shoot and kill me?!?

I guess it makes sense to you, but it doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't any make any sense to me either.

It's too bad you don't have the other driver's contact information. I for one would be on the phone with this guy trying to figure out what happened.

If you don't feel safe either DR it out by his mailbox or bring it back and put on will call.