Day after Christmas games

cajunboy

Ok my sup asked me if I wanted to work the day after Christmas. I said yes and he asked if I wanted my guarantee. I said yes. He then said you are laid off... Then he added I could displace 2 ptmers. Problem I am a night p/u driver whose route is geared to 4 hrs. Do I have a good grievance. What should I do? How would other more experienced 22.3's handle this?
cajunboy

browndevil

Ok my sup asked me if I wanted to work the day after Christmas. I said yes and he asked if I wanted my guarantee. I said yes. He then said you are laid off... Then he added I could displace 2 ptmers. Problem I am a night p/u driver whose route is geared to 4 hrs. Do I have a good grievance. What should I do? How would other more experienced 22.3's handle this?
cajunboy
Crap! You mean he didn't even say Merry Christmas after that

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you are a FT driver, you have a right-to work over those PT's

We were all asked if we wanted to volunteer. Volunteers were taken and about 12+ of us were approved for personals.

StopCount

He then said you are laid off...

If you worked monday then you are guaranteed to work the rest of the week. They cannont choose which days you can work.

I asked my steward what would happen if all the drivers in my center wanted to work. He said that most of us would push a broom for 8 hours...

Stopcount, that makes no sense at all. If the volume isn't there they certainly have the to right to decide how many people get to work on a given day regardless of what other days you have worked. Who gets to work and who doesn't is decided by seniority. Senior can, junior must.

upsman68

I have to work. I have been with the company for 19 years. I didn't want to. I rather have the time off to spend with my family. I wish UPS would make this a paid holiday for the company. I don't know how many hours I have to work but the fewer the better. No pickups and we are just delivering air and send agains from Wed. Merry Christmas everybody

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Looking for a game for day after Christmas?
Have you tried Cornholing?

cornhole_court.jpg

www.playcornhole.org

Singles Or Doubles Play:

Cornhole / Corn Toss can be played as doubles or singles. In doubles play two contestants are partners against another team of two contestants; in singles play a contestant competes against another contestant.

In doubles play, one member of each team pitches from one cornhole platform and the other members pitch from the other cornhole platform. In singles play, both contestants pitch from the same cornhole platform. All other rules are basically the same for doubles or singles play.

Hawk780

No One in Particular
Looking for a game for day after Christmas?

Have you tried Cornholing?

cornhole_court.jpg

www.playcornhole.org

Singles Or Doubles Play:

Cornhole / Corn Toss can be played as doubles or singles. In doubles play two contestants are partners against another team of two contestants; in singles play a contestant competes against another contestant.

In doubles play, one member of each team pitches from one cornhole platform and the other members pitch from the other cornhole platform. In singles play, both contestants pitch from the same cornhole platform. All other rules are basically the same for doubles or singles play.
Did you say Cornholing???? Don't bring the kids!!!!

gandydancer

If you worked monday then you are guaranteed to work the rest of the week. They cannont choose which days you can work...

Don't think so. Not everywhere, anyway. Contract language, please.

I was laid off Wed, offered 4 hours Fri (declined). I've got '98 ft seniority. As far as I know UPS can declare any day a layoff day, and then offer whatever guarantees they want to get enough volunteers, so long as they both make the offers and accept volunteers in seniority order. If they force you, which has to be done reverse seniority, you must be paid your guarantee.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Wednesday and Friday were lay off days for us. None of us night guys work on Christmas eve. So I used a personal for Wednesday. Friday I could have worked but chose to use a personal. Would rather have a 5 day weekend and since I don't work again until 930 pm Monday its like having a 6 day weekend. Now I think thats the right way to do the Christmas break. I learned long ago that those days aren't worth the headache of coming in to work.

cajunboy

The day after Christmas turned out hilarious. UPS turned into one big bomb and blew up. lol Instead of getting my 3.5 guarantee I got 4 1/2 hours because management failed to plan properly. Just for giggles I got 9.5 additionally (at reg. not at double) for grievance pay b/c the sups were doing some mad package handling. This layoff was the best payoff. The bldg. planned for 35k instead ran 50k.
cajunboy

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy
because management failed to plan properly.

It's hard to make predictions...especially about the future! :biting: