Days To Scratch?

MC0493

Hey all, i'm currently in the process of doing my 30 days. Friday was my 9th day. I've been on the same route since day one and i'm curious how long til i should be running scratch? Lately i've been getting done later and later, yesterday i was out for nearly 12 hours with 110 stops plus 20pu, handled over 800 pieces between pickups and deliveries. I'm just concerned that i'm not going to get up to speed fast enough and i'll get booted out when my 30 days are up. Suggestions and tips appreciated, i know its hard without knowing my specific route.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You need to get to know your fellow drivers, find out who has been running the route, and ask them for tips. There's always ways to shave time off but without knowing the details of the route, it's close to impossible to help you.

They might even tell you it's not possible to scratch it. We have a training route that is complete garbage, you can't scratch it without working through lunch. That's why it's a training route, so they have another reason to get rid of any new driver they don't want to keep.

Don't hit anything and don't give up.

MC0493

Aside from Friday i was getting in at a reasonable time. The route is heavy on businesses and they've been adding different residential stops each day. I'll have to ask the guy who ran this route before me how he did on time. My sup for now has said don't worry about scratch and just be safe, but the center manager keeps saying they want to see scratch at some point.

Holydriver

Hey all, i'm currently in the process of doing my 30 days. Friday was my 9th day. I've been on the same route since day one and i'm curious how long til i should be running scratch? Lately i've been getting done later and later, yesterday i was out for nearly 12 hours with 110 stops plus 20pu, handled over 800 pieces between pickups and deliveries. I'm just concerned that i'm not going to get up to speed fast enough and i'll get booted out when my 30 days are up. Suggestions and tips appreciated, i know its hard without knowing my specific route.
800 pieces, huh? I'd say you ran a mall route if not for the 110 stops. I think you're lying. Maybe, MAYBE, you handled 400 pieces.

9.5 everyday

He's counting pickup pieces. Would be a light day for some of our routes.
How would that be a light day? Do they work out of a hog? (Box truck) even working out of a P1200, and delivered 400 pcs, you'd still have to pick up 400 pcs. Our heaviest routes MIGHT touch 650 pcs. a day. Not to mention, you'd have to be done all deliveries before doing your first pick up.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
How would that be a light day? Do they work out of a hog? (Box truck) even working out of a P1200, and delivered 400 pcs, you'd still have to pick up 400 pcs. Our heaviest routes MIGHT touch 650 pcs. a day. Not to mention, you'd have to be done all deliveries before doing your first pick up.
Yes they're 1200's. Heavy on pickups. If you don't finish deliveries before pickups you're pretty much screwed.

DriverNerd

My first day alone I was 1.25 hours over (but this is considering I had a 7 hr dispatch). They slowly ramped up my stops from the 80 I started with up to 120 over the next week. After 2 weeks I was about an hour over. 3 weeks got that down to 45 minutes. At week four I was at 30 minutes and was really worried that I wasn't going to make scratch in the next 2 weeks, but really by then you really get to know the route and can learn the most efficient ways to deliver it, plus with doing the same thing over and over you just get quicker. By the end of week 5 I was running 15 minutes under allowed.

Biggest things: Don't hit anything. Don't freak out about your over/under unless you're WAY off the mark after 4 weeks. Doing the same thing day in and day out on the same route may not feel to you like you're getting faster, but you will be.