Deaf UPS Employee’s Discrimination Claims Survive Challenge

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Deaf UPS Employee’s Discrimination Claims Survive Challenge - Bloomberg Law
  • Company failed to provide interpreters, employee alleged
  • Court encouraged parties to consider mediation
A deaf UPS Inc. employee who alleged discrimination based on his disability can seek a federal district court’s review without exhausting his union’s grievance processes, the Wisconsin court said.

Quinton Murphy said United Parcel Service, Inc. didn’t accommodate his request for sign language interpreters and denied him a full-time driving position on multiple occasions. The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin said collective bargaining agreements didn’t preclude his claims, and encouraged mediation in a Tuesday decision.

wilberforce15

No its not. He has a disability. He can be accommodated. We have a supervisor who is deaf.
Inability to hear is a safety hazard.

That's why we're not allowed to listen to music or have earbuds. It's a safety issue.

But then we hire people who can't hear.

Let the deaf guy walk in front of my train, and the bad hiring decision / idiot deaf guy will be the reason I'm fired.

Because the driver is always at fault.

wilberforce15

UPS likes to have a few people with disabilities on the payroll to head off possible lawsuits.
That's all it is.

They subtract from the operation and they are a danger to others.

But we hire people who are dumb enough or criminal enough that having an unsafe deaf guy around isn't so bad.

Karma...

a deaf person inside is paired with a non-deaf person for safety reasons.....perhaps a deaf driver can be paired with a non-deaf driver for safety reasons......I never served with any deaf people in the service...I guess the marines were safety conscience ...my m14 and m16 were my safety shields..

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
a deaf person inside is paired with a non-deaf person for safety reasons.....perhaps a deaf driver can be paired with a non-deaf driver for safety reasons......I never served with any deaf people in the service...I guess the marines were safety conscience ...my m14 and m16 were my safety shields..
Deaf people overall are very safe drivers. They don’t have the distractions hearing people do. Anyway, what’s the difference between a deaf person driving and a hearing person driving along with ear buds in their ears? I think I’d bet on the safety of the deaf person in that situation.

rod

Retired 22 years
I worked with some deaf guys in a machine shop. You want to see something funny just watch 2 deaf guys arguing. Talk about a flurry of hand signals and facial gestures.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Thank you for your service.