Dear Investors: Fred S is a Lying Sack

bbsam

Staff member
Ground apologist? Hardly needed. It's legal, profitable and here to stay...just like I've been saying for years.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground apologist? Hardly needed. It's legal, profitable and here to stay...just like I've been saying for years.
Borderline legal at best. All with the help of Fred's wallet and politicians who don't mind being bought out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I could agree 100% with that and still be 100% certain that it isn't going to change.

Don't be so certain. Ground is barely legal, and Fred's money has everything to do with the fact that Ground even exists in it's present form.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't be so certain. Ground is barely legal, and Fred's money has everything to do with the fact that Ground even exists in it's present form.
To change the model the way you want it changed it will either have to become less profitable than the Express model or the law respecting contractor/employee status will have to change. Which do you see happening?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
To change the model the way you want it changed it will either have to become less profitable than the Express model or the law respecting contractor/employee status will have to change. Which do you see happening?

I see the law changing eventually. Ground drivers are de facto FEDEX employees. On paper, they work for you. In reality, they belong to Fred. It's that simple.

bbsam

Staff member
The law won't change. It's been purposely vague for decades for a reason and that reason is not specific to FDX.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The law won't change. It's been purposely vague for decades for a reason and that reason is not specific to FDX.

Many trucking firms have been found guilty of using owner/operators as employees. The only thing separating you from them is Fred's money and the "more than one driver" ISP BS. It's a scam, Sam, and you're just as bad as Fred for being part of it.

bbsam

Staff member
Ah. But you leave out the trucking firms that legitimately use owner/operators. Right now, that is the class Ground finds itself in. There are many such firms, aren't there? Or are they all scams?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ah. But you leave out the trucking firms that legitimately use owner/operators. Right now, that is the class Ground finds itself in. There are many such firms, aren't there? Or are they all scams?

There are certainly trucking firms that legitimately use owner/operators, and there are those that don't. Ground is a "don't". Without Fred's money and influence Ground would have been toast long ago. Employees, Sammy...E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-E-S.

Goldilocks

There are certainly trucking firms that legitimately use owner/operators, and there are those that don't. Ground is a "don't". Without Fred's money and influence Ground would have been toast long ago. Employees, Sammy...E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-E-S.

Ground is a scam. How many express drivers ride around with a Puerto Rican flag hanging from their mirror?

bbsam

Staff member
there was an interview on NPR this morning's edition of "Fresh Air" and I couldn't help but think of you. It was with an investigative journalist from the New York times (I think) who has written extensively on lobbying in Washington. If you have time, you might consider checking out the podcast. Very interesting in material but paints a pretty bleak picture of things changing in any meaningful way in any near future.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
there was an interview on NPR this morning's edition of "Fresh Air" and I couldn't help but think of you. It was with an investigative journalist from the New York times (I think) who has written extensively on lobbying in Washington. If you have time, you might consider checking out the podcast. Very interesting in material but paints a pretty bleak picture of things changing in any meaningful way in any near future.

I agree. When I mentioned the FedEx "party house" in DC the other day, I wasn't kidding. Add-up all of the lobbying, campaign donations on both sides of the aisle, the free plane rides on our executive jets (with a FedEx lobbyist riding shotgun), and Fred's current level of power, and I don't see anyone touching Ground any time soon.

None of these facts alter my view that Ground is another political gift that Fred has bought himself. If it were any other company, Ground drivers would have already been classified as employees.