Dear Investors: Fred S is a Lying Sack

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
there was an interview on NPR this morning's edition of "Fresh Air" and I couldn't help but think of you. It was with an investigative journalist from the New York times (I think) who has written extensively on lobbying in Washington. If you have time, you might consider checking out the podcast. Very interesting in material but paints a pretty bleak picture of things changing in any meaningful way in any near future.
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaP...&islist=false&id=276448190&m=276545654&live=1

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. When I mentioned the FedEx "party house" in DC the other day, I wasn't kidding. Add-up all of the lobbying, campaign donations on both sides of the aisle, the free plane rides on our executive jets (with a FedEx lobbyist riding shotgun), and Fred's current level of power, and I don't see anyone touching Ground any time soon.

None of these facts alter my view that Ground is another political gift that Fred has bought himself. If it were any other company, Ground drivers would have already been classified as employees.
And I don't disagree. But the law dealing with contractor/employee status is they key and that far predates Ground or even RPS. That law is not a gift or a political payback to Fred. Companies and the government itself has positioned themselves in such a way as to rake advantage of such laws. That's the whole reason the law has been left vague decade after decade with absolutely zero push to change it. The business/government relationship is the conspiratorial juggernaut that will keep things as they are, not a couple senators in Fred's pocket.

The RLA exemption? Yep. 100% political payback.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And I don't disagree. But the law dealing with contractor/employee status is they key and that far predates Ground or even RPS. That law is not a gift or a political payback to Fred. Companies and the government itself has positioned themselves in such a way as to rake advantage of such laws. That's the whole reason the law has been left vague decade after decade with absolutely zero push to change it. The business/government relationship is the conspiratorial juggernaut that will keep things as they are, not a couple senators in Fred's pocket.

The RLA exemption? Yep. 100% political payback.

Fred S is a glaring example of what's wrong with our political system. I shudder to think what he could be getting away with if Romney had been elected.