death in family

Pasaholic

just woould like to know how many paid days off we grt for death in family, my father passed away tusday and didnt get a chance to ask.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
I thought I got 3. I think 5 if the services are are so many miles away. Sorry for your loss, My condolences to you and your family

B

Brown and Down

just woould like to know how many paid days off we grt for death in family, my father passed away tusday and didnt get a chance to ask.

I think it is 3 days. If it is more than 100 miles away you get 5 days (2 travel days). That is what I got when father in law passed. Sorry for your loss.

raceanoncr

Sorry for your loss. Art. 29, Sec 2, "Funeral Leave", states:

A regular full-time eimployee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite.

In paragraph one, it states,

In the event of a death of a member of the employee's family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

In other words, you will probably be allowed to more days off then paid for but will not be compensated if it is more than the regular days paid. Hope this helps.

This was found in UPS Master Agreement.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Sorry for your loss. I hope your management team allows you whatever time off you need without a hassle. The packages will always be there but not your loved ones. The paid time off isn't that important, it's the time that you need to take care of things that is. I hope your center has enough staffing to allow you off as long you need!

D

driver x

You will be entitled to 4 days pay but you can also have more time off,within reason, without pay to handle family matters. The FMLA act can even be used,say in a situation to care for your mother in getting affairs in order,helping her with her bereavment,etc.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry for your loss. When both my father and mother died I was told to take off as long as I needed. I think I got paid for 4 days

Braveheart

Sorry for your loss. When my father passed I got 3 days paid funeral leave. Found out later it should have been 4. Take what time you need.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
it all depends on the day of death.
you get three, unless you have to travel you get one day for travel.
if someone dies on an early am wednesday, but the funeral is on Sat, you gotta be back on Monday if you want pay as Sunday would be your day to travel.
But fifty different people may have fifty different answers and it may depend on your contract.
Either way, losing a dad is tough, my condolences. Take off some time to regroup, going back to work is hard.

satellitedriver

Sorry to hear of your loss.
When my father passed away 13yrs ago I was paid for three days.
My center manager told me to take as many as I needed.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Take what ever time you need.
Money doesn't mean anything, at times like these.
My sincerest condolences,
Sat