death of relative during vacation

That is probably very correct of how you say "you are not a bargaining unit employee". With that being said that does mean that many decisions concerning time off, what is good and what is bad, etc is a personal determination of the particular supervisor. So knowing that, that is the reason I said what I said. It is not consistent where I work. One supervisor makes a decision affecting the team that works for him and another supervisor makes a total differnet decision that affects the team that works for them. We all work in the same building for the same company but have to go by different rules set forth by our supervisors. You are fortunate that this issue of bereavement pay or funeral leave is already determined for you. As well as any other time off issue. There are probably many other issue that are already predetermined that you do not have to wonder what is going to happen because your supervisor is going to make a decision concerning the issue. The outcome will be dependent upon, 'where are his current numbers' and does he like you or not. I would much rather work under predetermined terms of employee than the mood of my supervisor for that particular day.

[/QUOTE]
I have never worked for anyone where a written set of rules were not needed more than UPS. I shutter at the thought of UPS life without a contract and I am not a dye hard union fan, however UPS has a hard time staying within the contract, without one all bets are off.

What'dyabringmetoday???

How did this segway to the OP's boss being a total jerk? The boss was never mentioned in the OP--the OP was simply asking what the contract stated if you have a death in the family while you are on vacation. For all we know, the center manager will take care of the OP by granting him bereavement leave starting Monday.

On a somewhat related note, my father passed shortly before Peak last year. He was cremated and the family (my brother and I) decided that there would be no services and that we would have our own private moment in the spring, when we plan on spreading his ashes at a place that he loved to spend his spare time. Anyway, my on-car, center manager and I sat down and decided that I would take my bereavement leave the 1st 3 workdays after Peak. This did not leave them short-handed at Peak and gave me the time that I needed. Now, if we had decided that we were going to have a service, I would have taken my bereavement leave immediately but there really was no reason to.

Sit down with your mgt team Monday morning and I am sorry for your loss.
There is no question that you are dedicated-to UPS.

tiegirl

tiegirl
You cannot image the stress it causes to get up and know you have to go to work to a place that any thing can happen that day. It is the supervisor rules. They can say and do what ever they want and use you to make themselves look good to their management.

The stress has gotten to me so bad, my child is now suffering because he knows there is something wrong with me. I used to love my job and love to go to work. Now I have a supervisor out to get me because I complained about him more than once to upper management. I cannot even get up to go to the bathroom without, where have you been. I ignore such stupid questions and I love the delete button but this only makes him madder and more determined to get me.

I do not know what I am going to do. The idea of looking for a job under our current economic conditions is quite stressful.

I have never worked for anyone where a written set of rules were not needed more than UPS. I shutter at the thought of UPS life without a contract and I am not a dye hard union fan, however UPS has a hard time staying within the contract, without one all bets are off.[/QUOTE]

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont let the stress of this job ruin your family life, or your childs. pOpcorn for breakfast lunch and dinner is better than this. If you cant blow it off. This sup/mgr will move on, you dont have to. You seems intelligent from what you can know of someone in type, and young enough to have a child, so get out if it is that bad. I only say it as I wish I would have. It doesnt effect me AS BAD , now. But use your brain, if UPS is messing with your ability to function, you need to go now. Good Luck and God bless.

Braveheart

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER DIES DURING YOUR VACATION, ARE YOU STILL ENTITLED TO 4 DAYS PAY?:sad-little::sad-little:
You have up to 2 days past the funeral to take your days off.

If you have a family member die on say a thursday during a vacation but the funeral is not until the following wednesday then you would have until the following friday to use the days off.

satellitedriver

How did this segway to the OP's boss being a total jerk? The boss was never mentioned in the OP--the OP was simply asking what the contract stated if you have a death in the family while you are on vacation. For all we know, the center manager will take care of the OP by granting him bereavement leave starting Monday.

On a somewhat related note, my father passed shortly before Peak last year. He was cremated and the family (my brother and I) decided that there would be no services and that we would have our own private moment in the spring, when we plan on spreading his ashes at a place that he loved to spend his spare time. Anyway, my on-car, center manager and I sat down and decided that I would take my bereavement leave the 1st 3 workdays after Peak. This did not leave them short-handed at Peak and gave me the time that I needed. Now, if we had decided that we were going to have a service, I would have taken my bereavement leave immediately but there really was no reason to.

Sit down with your mgt team Monday morning and I am sorry for your loss.
The loss of your Father and the loss of my Mother-in-Law last year rings a common bell. Good relationship and communication with the center team makes all the difference.
My sup, (ass, that he can be), was a champ and supported the concept that family comes first and had no problems with me extending my vacation.
My heart goes out to all that has had to face the loss of a loved one.