Deaths at UPS

Apollo

O.K. So i found out about 2 deaths that have happened in my hub last night. And i know of at least 3 others. I was just wondering two things.

1. How many deaths have there been at UPS In the past 30 or so years? (i hear they average 1-2 a year)

2. Why the hell don't i hear about deaths and major injuries at UPS on the news or in the paper?

UPS doesn't like to advertise this kinda stuff, heck who would. You can find out word-of-mouth which is usually unreliable and exaggerated. Or you can use FOIA (freedom of information act): search OSHA website, newspapers, lawsuits, other government entities, etc for this kind of stuff.

bears2

i doubt that ups averages a death or 2 a year by accident at any hub in america,not on ups property anyway unless its a heart attack scenraio.ive been at ups for 20+ years and ive seen an heard of alotta injury accidents,some serious injuries but not 1 death since ive been there. there was 1 death a couple years before i started but in last 24 years,zero deaths in the biggest hub in U.S..

drewed

Shankman
I tend to agree with Bear, any accidents resulting in death at the least would get PCMd at some sort.....actually come to think of it I heard of a pilot that walked out the door without having the stairs there and he died.

I know of four off the top of my head in 20+ years, two drivers and two ptimers.
One driver was hit by train while driving across tracks in railyard, one was run over because he was looking at his ivis and walked behind another backing semi. UPS lost a big lawsuit over that one.

One ptimer had a heart attack in the summer,one was clearing a pile of smalls when someone started a high speed belt and it tore his leg off and he bled to death before anyone could get to him. Lost lawsuit there also

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
nation wide there are 7-12 deaths involving ups vehicles a year. about half of those deaths are ups employees.

as far as employees being killed at ups facilities, i either know of or have heard of at least 100 over the last 15 or so years. by hearing, mentioned by safety management, news clippings etc.

so while ups does try to have a safe word place, it still can be a very dangerous place to work.

many deaths and injuries by belts and not observing proper methods when dealing with moving belts. and there is a reason why par time sups dont wear ties around a moving belt.

as far as the freedom of information act, that applies to government offices, not private companies.

d

drewed

Shankman
Danny I think he was going for the FoIA for the reports that would be sent in to OSHA about a workplace death/injury.

OMG Im glad we dont have to wear ties anymore, I just wish they gave a better color polo.

Almost everything at UPS is dangerous whether its crossing the yard to get to the building, marshalling in an airframe or moving packages; theres a reason UPS has all those safety rules and whatnot.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
O.K. So i found out about 2 deaths that have happened in my hub last night. And i know of at least 3 others. I was just wondering two things.

1. How many deaths have there been at UPS In the past 30 or so years? (i hear they average 1-2 a year)

2. Why the hell don't i hear about deaths and major injuries at UPS on the news or in the paper?

Know of 2 in the Atlanta area in the past 35 years.
P/T Sups head crushed by a feeder backing into a hub door.
Another P/T Unloader run over leaving the building at property line.

Not on clock either but...Another guy shot another UPSer in the parking lot and then committed suicide.

bears2

nation wide there are 7-12 deaths involving ups vehicles a year. about half of those deaths are ups employees.

as far as employees being killed at ups facilities, i either know of or have heard of at least 100 over the last 15 or so years. by hearing, mentioned by safety management, news clippings etc.

so while ups does try to have a safe word place, it still can be a very dangerous place to work.

many deaths and injuries by belts and not observing proper methods when dealing with moving belts. and there is a reason why par time sups dont wear ties around a moving belt.

as far as the freedom of information act, that applies to government offices, not private companies.

d

I work in the biggest hub ups has,worldport.I have been in pcm's and worked with chsp members and i have a tv a,radio,newspaper an computer and i have seen or heard of a handful of ups employee deaths in 25 years at ups. Im 100% positive theres been 1 death at our hub in the last 28 years. involved a forklift. I seriously doubt you can recall 100+ deaths at ups facilities. If there was 100+ deaths at ups facilities over the last 15 years osha would be on ups like white on rice. so would the news. ups can only hide so much. Maybe deaths on the road for feeder drivers an package car drivers is fairly high but on property deaths is very minimal. I would be willing to bet on it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Uh Oh, sounds like he's trying you, D. Here we go again. I'll make sure I use indented paragraphs for all my posts on this subject, too. Got nauseas trying to read that run-on post, lol.

Heard about a supe in JAX that was missing and found a day later crushed behind a feeder. That happened this year I believe. Monavie Leaker should know about that one.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Uh Oh, sounds like he's trying you, D. Here we go again. I'll make sure I use indented paragraphs for all my posts on this subject, too. Got nauseas trying to read that run-on post, lol.

Heard about a supe in JAX that was missing and found a day later crushed behind a feeder. That happened this year I believe. Monavie Leaker should know about that one.

Pm me his name.....I'll ask a coworker whos a shifter on twilight see if he knows about it...I never heard about it...Only death I've heard about here is a loader getting their head crushed by a feeder backing up to a bay door

705red

Browncafe Steward
We had someone ran over at Rockford about a year ago by a tractor who died, and i know of at least 2 ptimers in the last 7 or so years that died due to heat in my area.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Pm me his name.....I'll ask a coworker whos a shifter on twilight see if he knows about it...I never heard about it...Only death I've heard about here is a loader getting their head crushed by a feeder backing up to a bay door

Don't know the name ML, was that loader killed this year?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
bear

better get more invovled with safety.

if you would care to re-read the post

as far as the killed in building or on ups property, you need to dig deeper. not that long ago one part timer got killed when he stepped into a mobile dist. trailer that was not properly grounded. ups got burned on that one really bad, because they tried to cover up the fact that it was not properly grounded.

sups getting pulled into converyor belts by their ties, people working on belts getting killed because some dummy cut it on, people walking between trailers and docs while the trailer is still moving, shifters hanging out of the package car while backing in, and the foot slips off the clutch crushing their head between the two trucks and the list goes on and on.

it used to be you could access the information for all those killed in the past, but getting harder and harder.

If there was 100+ deaths at ups facilities over the last 15 years osha would be on ups like white on rice
?????? and you have been at ups 25 years???? and on the safety team? why pray tell did they create the safety team concept? i forgot:wink2:

d

chev

Nightcrawler
I know for a fact that a supe was crushed between a trailer and the dock in Meadowlands a few years back. He jumped down to pick up packages that fell from the trailer while it was backing on. He was not found till the next day.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
One ptimer had a heart attack in the summer,one was clearing a pile of smalls when someone started a high speed belt and it tore his leg off and he bled to death before anyone could get to him. Lost lawsuit there also

I remember reading about the heart-attack. Didn't that happen on ADDIL's Twilight? If memory serves, that was the first p/t'er fataility at ADDIL.

When I worked in Illinois, an old-timer told me a similar story about a guy's legs getting crushed or ripped off. I thought that one was at CACH.

A friend of the family whom worked for UPS for 25 years in mostly administrative roles told me there had been several fatalities at Jeff St. One was a decapitation because the p/t'er was hanging out of the package car when an unload slid went by :anxious:. Its been awhile since I heard this story, so I may be wrong on the circumstances. Maybe somebody out of Jeff St. has heard this one??

P/T Sups head crushed by a feeder backing into a hub door.

They had one like that at DENCO in the last 5 years. I never did hear the whole story.

Dying on the job ain't no way to go.....-Rocky