DEBATE

moreluck

golden ticket member
I watched the debate and kept yawning most of the time.

I don't think either candidate was powerful enough to change any "fence-sitter's" mind.

I think John McCain managed to get across that B.O. is naive & in-experienced in war matters.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It didn't live up to all the hype, thats for sure. They did get at each other more, but there were no stunning blunders by either one of them.

I am going to go ahead and vote early next week. Where I am, you can go down the the elector's office and miss the crowds on election day. I have also done it by mail a few times with an absentee ballot.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We have permanent absentee ballots......I like voting at home with the booklet beside me that explains all the issues.

over9five

Staff member
The best part was whenever they talked about some world hotspot, McCain could tell how he's been there, knows the people, knows the terrain etc. Really underscored Obamas inexperience.

Not a knock-out, but I'd give McCain the win.

av8torntn

My two highlights were McCain saying he would freeze government spending and him calling B. Hussein a liberal then B. Hussein saying he was not a liberal because he only wanted to expand needed government programs. :happy-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes I agree it was a yawner.
Its known McCain has experience and Obama does not. And McCain doesnt want higher taxes, he thinks it can be fixed by cutting unneccesary spending, and Obama does so he can change the world, and have more money to allocate.
I think Obama held his own, for those who want that in a president.
But it was not a mind changer

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think that both of them "parse" words. I think neither of them are going to get their agenda's across. Obama however, is crazy if he thinks that giving tax breaks to the middle class (which is ok), yet keeping heavy taxes on business is going to help anyone. You take away money from a company on taxes and they make it up on the employees first and then their customers. We, as upsers, know that for a fact. I have a hard time believing that Obama, who is not poor in any way, shape, or form doesn't also use the tax break loop holes for the rich. Also, the notion that the US has lost respect in the world is a notion that really doesn't hold weight. It's true, yes, but sometimes you have to be the bad guy to do the right thing for your people. Have we done a great wrong in the world? I don't think so. We need to be pro-active in keeping America safe rather than reactive.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I watched the debate and kept yawning most of the time.

I don't think either candidate was powerful enough to change any "fence-sitter's" mind.

I think John McCain managed to get across that B.O. is naive & in-experienced in war matters.

Pretty much what I took away as well

drewed

Shankman
The best part McCain was explaining something Obama said regarding Pakistan, at the end of the jaunt he said you just don't say things like this out loud. I thought it was funny.

I think McCain did the better job, especially when hes spent the last couple days trying to get the bailout deal worked out. I was watching the MSNBC fact check after the debate and they brought up how Ike's second letter wasnt a letter of resignation, they didnt tell what it was, but it was a letter apologizing for the loss and accepting all responsibility, which still proves the point he was making.

Honestly, Obama didnt have the body language that the event deserves, Im not saying McCain had the most respectful body language, but most of it was in response to Obamas, so of turned off sort of petty.

Well thats my POV on it...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You want to know how much power you have Tooner? Ohio is going to decide this election. Pretty cool huh?

Last time Ohio too.
I dont see too many signs for either here. Even in the inner city, I see some but not what I would expect. In the country it seems to be mixed. I havent checked the facts, but I think its going 50/50, hard for the state to be the deciding vote if it is.

diesel96

Biden's assessment was dead on......this was expected to be McCain's debate (mainly foriegn policy) he was suppose to win big but didn't deliver nor did he get all his facts in check. One thing I noticed, what was McCain staring at ? Not Barack ...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Biden is an idiot. He does have his talking points down, though. Did he plagiarize anybody tonight? He is well known for that trait. Is he the best they could come up for VP? Very generous too. I outgive this millionaire to charity all the time. If you give a few bucks to the United Way, you donate more than him in the last few years. Biden is generous with other people's money. Thats pathetic, but that explains Obama, Pelosi, and Reid too. Not much there to draw from. What was McCain looking at? Nothing interesting across the stage, thats for sure.

tieguy

Banned
I thought it interesting that both were disruptive to the other. Obamas style was more argumentative when he would interupt McCain where McCain tended to chuckle when Obama said something he disagreed with. At one point Obama looked to the moderator with frustration as if he was physically trying to tell him to move on to the next subject.
I also noticed McCain tended to stare straight ahead when Obama was speaking. Not sure that is the best tactic for a debate. You normally take notes on those items that you wish to rebut while your opponent is speaking. To McCains credit he did not need to take notes.

Overall I thought McCain scored points for selling his experience and the fact he has flown to the areas discussed while Obama had not.

Not a knock out for either side slight win in McCains favor.

I also watched MSNBC's coverage of the debate. Saw lots of clips where they showed McCain speak first and then Obama's rebuttal. Such coverage tends to make the person rebutting look better. No surprise that MSNBC used this approach.

av8torntn

I suppose everyone who watched the debate was surprised that McCain so easily caught B. HO in so many lies. The one that got the most media attention was B. Ho talking about wanting to cut middle class taxes and McCain had to point out that B. Ho had voted to raise middle class taxes in the Senate. I thought this however was the boldest lie yet. I was thinking that McCain was going to get so angry he was about to slap the Ho. I have been wondering if the media was going to cover it and I finally found it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I thought he was condescending on many areas, and it looked better for him than to blow a gasket. That is what people wanted to see happen that would vote for Obama.
I would prefer someone to fight for me than to try to talk their way through it in most instances that works better.
Talking is great, sometimes you need to show aggression. Sad but true. McCain needs to show his temper. Pussyfootin dont work.

diesel96

Biden is an idiot. He does have his talking points down, though. Did he plagiarize anybody tonight? He is well known for that trait. Is he the best they could come up for VP? Very generous too. I outgive this millionaire to charity all the time. If you give a few bucks to the United Way, you donate more than him in the last few years. Biden is generous with other people's money. Thats pathetic, but that explains Obama, Pelosi, and Reid too. Not much there to draw from. What was McCain looking at? Nothing interesting across the stage, thats for sure.

Scratch, is attacking Joe Biden the only way to show people that you care, is to donate money? If so, I had no idea.
I think it’s strange that people feel the need to tell others how to show concern for the common folk. Some people do it via charitable donations and others may do it via donating their time and effort. But judge Biden if it makes you feel better.
Let's not forget those who pad their donations dishonestly that have plenty of money and cheat the system as a result, weakening this country, How patriotic! How condescending of you to misrepresent Joe Biden as some kind of cheap millionaire who's known as one of the most modest earning senators in the senate.

Will you hold Palin to the same standard and not vote for McCain if she doesn’t meet your standard of giving?
I guess she has to provide us with this information soon, so that you can firm up your final criteria on who you will vote for.
Or is it Palin-McCain no matter what?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree with just about what everyone said. It was boring and dragged out far too long. Both canidates bidding for the white house were unprofeesional on more than one occasion. Our minds are already made up and of course we sat there hoping our guy would deliver the knock out punch, neither did, but i believe that both might have lost some support just due to the childish like behavior both showed.

I was watching katie afterwards and she hammered mccain by saying that she called Kissinger and his point of view on iran is as obama has said.

Mccains best chance to gain support was this debate, this is were his experience and knowledge comes into play alot with the voters, and i feel that obama held his own and there is no clear cut winner. Which also means mccain lost ground, Jmho!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Diesel,
Yes, I do think that what people give to charity does say a lot about their character. A politician who is generous with our tax money and stingy with his own shows how much he really cares for people.