Decision to make...help!

Desk jockey

Hello all. I am new here and everyone on this site seems well informed so here it goes. I've been offered a part time courier job with fed ex. 2:45-730 weekday pickups 9-1 Saturday deliveries. 16.66 an hour. I've talked to a couple people who work at thes particular fed ex and seem to enjoy the job. However I have read horror stories about this company as you all know. First off the guaranteed hours make no sence to me of 17.5 hours when my times equal to 26ish. I understand I would have to suck a fat one for a couple years until I can even think of getting ahead. I need a career and if that's what I have to do so be it. However I would be taking a major pay cut from my lousy service advisor job which pays 4-450 a week with no Benny's, opportunity to advance, 45 hours a week with 3 days off and an easy going boss. I can also walk to work, but nonetheless the customers are awful and this job stresses me to the max. I need a career to be able to start a life with my wife but I'm not sure if this is worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hello all. I am new here and everyone on this site seems well informed so here it goes. I've been offered a part time courier job with fed ex. 2:45-730 weekday pickups 9-1 Saturday deliveries. 16.66 an hour. I've talked to a couple people who work at thes particular fed ex and seem to enjoy the job. However I have read horror stories about this company as you all know. First off the guaranteed hours make no sence to me of 17.5 hours when my times equal to 26ish. I understand I would have to suck a fat one for a couple years until I can even think of getting ahead. I need a career and if that's what I have to do so be it. However I would be taking a major pay cut from my lousy service advisor job which pays 4-450 a week with no Benny's, opportunity to advance, 45 hours a week with 3 days off and an easy going boss. I can also walk to work, but nonetheless the customers are awful and this job stresses me to the max. I need a career to be able to start a life with my wife but I'm not sure if this is worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Hmmm. Where shall I start? I will tell you like I tell all the rookies in my building (speaking from over 25 years of Fedex experience). This job is no longer a career. It is a job. You will be promised the moon and given very little. You will NEVER reach top pay. I know couriers who have been here five years making only .50 more than new-hires. You will be met with unrealistic expectations that you will NEVER be able to attain without running yourself ragged and cutting corners. The benefits are getting less and less every day. If you think you are stressed at your current job, you ain't seen nothing yet. I won't lie, I do occasionally have fun with my co-workers, only because I refuse to let this job kill my 'happy'. If you are young, don't take the job. There are other jobs out there that are a lot easier on your body and mind.

Oh yeah, and then there's the part of never having a life at Christmas. When you do become full-time, never being able to make plans during the week unless you take the day off. FedEx OWNS you when you are full-time. The guarantee pay is what it is. When you are on nights, it's a better deal for you because you will work more hours than the guarantee. Full-time guarantee is 35 hours. There are many other reasons I'm sure others will add to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hmmm. Where shall I start? I will tell you like I tell all the rookies in my building (speaking from over 25 years of Fedex experience). This job is no longer a career. It is a job. You will be promised the moon and given very little. You will NEVER reach top pay. I know couriers who have been here five years making only .50 more than new-hires. You will be met with unrealistic expectations that you will NEVER be able to attain without running yourself ragged and cutting corners. The benefits are getting less and less every day. If you think you are stressed at your current job, you ain't seen nothing yet. I won't lie, I do occasionally have fun with my co-workers, only because I refuse to let this job kill my 'happy'. If you are young, don't take the job. There are other jobs out there that are a lot easier on your body and mind.

Oh yeah, and then there's the part of never having a life at Christmas. When you do become full-time, never being able to make plans during the week unless you take the day off. FedEx OWNS you when you are full-time. The guarantee pay is what it is. When you are on nights, it's a better deal for you because you will work more hours than the guarantee. Full-time guarantee is 35 hours. There are many other reasons I'm sure others will add to.

What Operational Needs said, and let me add that your stress level will be through the roof at this craphole company. Anything they've told you is probably a lie, and they will try and screw you at every opportunity by cutting your hours OR trying to pressure you to work...but only when they need you. Always on their terms, and you will be nothing but a cog in the machine. Look elsewhere.

DRAisawesome

Ok I'm just going to breakdown a couple numbers for you. Let's just say you get 25 hours a week. That's $417 per week. If you are going to carry your families insurance that will be a little over $100 per week premium. Also the 16.66 starting pay will be that and may get a yearly raise. There is no pay scale. Oh and if you do get full time you just get more hours not a higher hourly pay. So take of it what you may. It is a job and not bad at times but a "Career" that's up to you. I am a 7-8 year employee and I'm 70 cents above a new hire.

Someone that has the family plan deductible can add that. I'm not sure what the deductible is and that is on top of your outlandish premiums.

Good Luck. Hopefully your wife has a good job.

dezguy

FYI there are guys at my station with close to 10 years seniority who are still PT and not by choice. It may be different down there in the States but there are a lot of stations up here where guys have a decade in and aren't FT.

Nolimitz

You must be in a big metro area. I've been here 4yr and barely make over $15. No need to say where you are. the powers that be care watching all social media sites including this one. My advice is Run Forrest Run. Find a real career cause this aint it.

Dex01

Banned

Are you thinking of going to school? Working part time, and utilizing the company's tuition reimbursement might work out pretty well.

hypo hanna

Are you thinking of going to school? Working part time, and utilizing the company's tuition reimbursement might work out pretty well.
Better to go back to school while at his present job. FedEx will jerk his schudule around so much he will miss classes and spin his wheels.
Like the others have said, if you want a career where you are valued and respected by your employer, look elsewhere.

!Retired!

Thank you all. I was on the fence and this is what I needed to hear. Should have went with my gut from the start. Thanks again!
Which is what?
FedEx will jerk his schudule around so much he will miss classes and spin his wheels.
That would depend on what kind of manager you have. We have PT'ers with second jobs and some going to school. As far as I know, they don't have any problems getting there on time. When I was PT, my manager kept asking if I wanted to stay later. When I refused, he would mumble that I wanted to be FT but didn't want to work the hours.
What Operational Needs said, and let me add that your stress level will be through the roof at this craphole company. Anything they've told you is probably a lie, and they will try and screw you at every opportunity by cutting your hours OR trying to pressure you to work...but only when they need you. Always on their terms, and you will be nothing but a cog in the machine. Look elsewhere.
I used to get a stressed. To much work, not enough work, make service, late freight...etc etc. Then I figured, our managers and upper management doesn't care, why should I?

cancan

I don't know about you guys. But I feel like we did something good here. I would never encourage anybody to quit because when your in it, your in it. But if we can stop them from getting in this rotting cesspool in the first place. That one person we saved feels pretty darn good.

Serf

My 0.2 cents, just about all of the feedback is accurate. However, I work out of a larger station and the "work" is there for people who want it. Couriers sign up for extra hours and do split shifts. I would say they are constantly close to 40 hours, if not more a week most of the year. Good JOB, not good Career.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know about you guys. But I feel like we did something good here. I would never encourage anybody to quit because when your in it, your in it. But if we can stop them from getting in this rotting cesspool in the first place. That one person we saved feels pretty darn good.

Great point. That's perhaps the biggest reason I keep posting here. If what I say keeps even one person out of this shatbox, then all of my efforts are worthwhile. Bravo Zulu to all of you who insist on spreading the truth about FedEx.