Decline of the Middle Class

Meat

I read today that half of all people between the ages of 56 and 61 have less than $17,000 saved for retirement. In your opinion, which political party is more responsible (arguments must be supported by factual data). This is a serious thread (no trolling please).

floridays

I read today that half of all people between the ages of 56 and 61 have less than $17,000 saved for retirement. In your opinion, which political party is more responsible (arguments must be supported by factual data). This is a serious thread (no trolling please).
I feel a set-up. You want factual data, is this a research paper? Since when is factual data required for opinion? Your'e still week kid. Re-word the question and deliver it again. Not trolling. Legitimate response.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well the Me generation wanted everything Now, and they spent their entire lives borrowing money to get it. They ran the country's finances the same way they ran their own. I'm not really sure one political party is more to blame than the other. Seems to me their irresponsible stupidity was a bipartisan effort.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The decline of the middle class has happened pretty much in lockstep with the decline of unions. I blame the voting public more than I blame either political party.

floridays

Bad premise, define savings. Are real assets..... included in savings? How did the article you read define savings?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
democrats for sure

the republicans are all about investing into 401k’s, the democrats were hyper focused on keeping the AWFUL pension plans going

now the republicans can obviously be blamed for a lot of other stuff, but poor investing is 99% the dems fault

floridays

The decline of the middle class has happened pretty much in lockstep with the decline of unions. I blame the voting public more than I blame either political party.
I'd have to disagree with the decline of the union's angle, and I am definitely pro union.

floridays

democrats for sure

the republicans are all about investing into 401k’s, the democrats were hyper focused on keeping the AWFUL pension plans going

now the republicans can obviously be blamed for a lot of other stuff, but poor investing is 99% the dems fault
What was a defined pension plan? This is a real question searching for your answer.

floridays

I feel a set-up. You want factual data, is this a research paper? Since when is factual data required for opinion? Your'e still week kid. Re-word the question and deliver it again. Not trolling. Legitimate response.
You're correct @Sportello , it's you're, besides being a :censored2:, I'm..... fill in the blank.

Meat

Hard to argue against that, as it is a statistical fact that union employees are compensated at higher levels than non-union employees.

Was there some sort of event, maybe in the earlier 80’s, that declared it was “open season” on unions?

floridays

Hard to argue against that, as it is a statistical fact that union employees are compensated at higher levels than non-union employees.

Was there some sort of event, maybe in the earlier 80’s, that declared it was “open season” on unions?
You're a punk bitch, there was, tell us.

bbsam

Staff member
I heard the national saving amounts were lower.
Thankfully I lived a spartan lifestyle and saved a lot , for now I can afford my toys.
That’s really not true in this discussion. You’re part of the generation that put us $27 trillion in the hole. Therefore you own a portion of that debt.

floridays

That’s really not true in this discussion. You’re part of the generation that put us $27 trillion in the hole. Therefore you own a portion of that debt.
I stipulate that you are correct. What is your solution? Do you have a solution to offer or are you just rubbing noses? It is your chance to shine smart guy. Offer one possible solution to the current predicament. @bbsam . To be noted it is a hell of a lot more than 27 (your number) trillion dollars, have you heard of unfunded liabilities?

Cellphones
Cable TV
Netflix
Tattoos
WiFi
Starbucks coffee
X box

All expenses that didn’t really exist 50 years ago. How much would one save without these?

Last edited:

I stipulate that you are correct. What is your solution? Do you have a solution to offer or are you just rubbing noses? It is your chance to shine smart guy. Offer one possible solution to the current predicament. @bbsam . To be noted it is a hell of a lot more than 27 (your number) trillion dollars, have you heard of unfunded liabilities?
They really should fully fund SS.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
In your opinion, which political party is more responsible
I guess if you're looking to blame a political party, Republicans are obviously anti-union. At the same time it's hard to argue Democrats have done much to protect unions so they have a lot of blame too.
The decline of the middle class has happened pretty much in lockstep with the decline of unions.
(arguments must be supported by factual data).
union_density_middleclass.png

union_density_inequality.png