Definition of a bad steward?

Owen8

My union steward threw me and four people under the bus and took another employees side. He didn't talk to anyone except the person with the "grievance." He has secret conversations with that employee and gave them pointers on what to write. This seems very wrong especially since I thought stewards were supposed to be neutral. I confronted the steward and they didn't seem to care, like this is acceptable behavior. Whom would I talk with when I can't trust my steward? Has anyone had a similar experience?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
My union steward threw me and four people under the bus and took another employees side. He didn't talk to anyone except the person with the "grievance." He has secret conversations with that employee and gave them pointers on what to write. This seems very wrong especially since I thought stewards were supposed to be neutral. I confronted the steward and they didn't seem to care, like this is acceptable behavior. Whom would I talk with when I can't trust my steward? Has anyone had a similar experience?

You can speak to your BA, the local president, and further up the chain, you can speak to the national folks but getting a one on one with one of them is going to be pretty difficult.

hyena

Tell your BA you want to run against him. And get your coworkers to vote you in. That's how I did it.

542thruNthru

First off what was the grievance? Let me guess you guys were doing something like working off the clock.

SoCalUPS

Call your BA, have a sit down with your steward and BA. Clear the air, if the steward was wrong, your BA will handle the situation and set him straight. Now if this is something that the steward continuously does, write a letter to your Union leadership.

Last edited:

LeadBelly

Banned

Give more details. Who did he throw you under the bus to?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Your leaving out essential parts of your story. Those points are crucial for the validity of people being "thrown under the bus".

Spongebob1

Your story seems to be missing a lot of pieces, Talk with your B.A.

hyena

Tell your BA you want to run against him. And get your coworkers to vote you in. That's how I did it.
Tell your BA you want to run against the steward. (I wanted to clarify ,my original post could be construed to mean run against BA). And like the others have asked , how did he throw you under the bus?