Delivering After 7:00

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My favorite is the 10pm sig required.... Saw the guy put his gun away after he saw it was UPS... lol He wanted to know why I would ring his doorbell at 10pm... Ummmm because knocking didnt work

Instead of NI1, there should be a Sleeping1 option!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont even attempt if its an old person, I know it will take forever for them to get up, and answer, plus they are scared. I just remember the next day to get there early. Have spoken to several, and they are fine/happy with that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
All you guys are funny. What a great job we have huh? Things never change. UPS, last on the street in the morning and last one on the street in the evening. Whats wrong with that picture lol.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have no problem ringing anyone's bell at anytime to deliver a package. If they have a problem with our delivery hours they are more than welcome to voice their concerns to the 1-800 number. God knows our voices don't matter, maybe theirs will.

Re-Raise

I have no problem ringing anyone's bell at anytime to deliver a package. If they have a problem with our delivery hours they are more than welcome to voice their concerns to the 1-800 number. God knows our voices don't matter, maybe theirs will.

Just wait, some clown in a cubicle somewhere will figure out that if we delivered all night while just shuttling packages and fuel out to the drivers we could increase the shareholder dividends.

I don't even care to fight it anymore, I'll just let them pay me the triple time. I can skip to the door for $100 an hour if they want me to.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just wait, some clown in a cubicle somewhere will figure out that if we delivered all night while just shuttling packages and fuel out to the drivers we could increase the shareholder dividends.

I don't even care to fight it anymore, I'll just let them pay me the triple time. I can skip to the door for $100 an hour if they want me to.
As long as they do it in 60 hours, I'll bring the wheel barrow.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
All you guys are funny. What a great job we have huh? Things never change. UPS, last on the street in the morning and last one on the street in the evening. Whats wrong with that picture lol.

You realize it. I realize it. Our customers realize it. The people at the top wondering why we lose volume and don't grow don't. What's wrong with that picture?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I only ring the doorbell if i'm delivering after 7 !!

Most people have already come home, checked to see if their package came, ate dinner, and watching tv by then.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Instead of NI1, there should be a Sleeping1 option!

If its after 9:00 at night, then instead of NI1 there is the "missed" option that I normally employ. While it does tend to piss off my management team, it also tends to motivate them to pull their heads out of their asses and start making rational dispatch decisions. They are free to write me a warning letter if it will make them feel better, but it wont change the fact that at 9:00 I am done with knocking on doors and delivering packages. Period. I dont need to have dogs sicced on me or guns pulled on me or customers yelling at me because I woke them or their kids up or scared the hell out of them by walking up their unlit rural driveway on a pitch black night. I dont have a problem working 60 a week during peak but at 9:00 at night I'm heading back to the building whether I have stops left or not. Knocking on doors after 9:00 PM is unsafe as well as being disrespectful to the customer.

upshawk

An older driver at our center was telling me that one late night delivering during peak He knew it was getting late when as he was walking to the front door he could hear The Tonight Show theme song playing on their tv.

Indecisi0n

If its after 9:00 at night, then instead of NI1 there is the "missed" option that I normally employ. While it does tend to piss off my management team, it also tends to motivate them to pull their heads out of their asses and start making rational dispatch decisions. They are free to write me a warning letter if it will make them feel better, but it wont change the fact that at 9:00 I am done with knocking on doors and delivering packages. Period. I dont need to have dogs sicced on me or guns pulled on me or customers yelling at me because I woke them or their kids up or scared the hell out of them by walking up their unlit rural driveway on a pitch black night. I dont have a problem working 60 a week during peak but at 9:00 at night I'm heading back to the building whether I have stops left or not. Knocking on doors after 9:00 PM is unsafe as well as being disrespectful to the customer.

Don't ever come to my center.

ymelord

I understand some drivers wanting the overtime, and I'm cool with that, but if you don't, and are consistently getting dispatched to heavy, then you are being way, way too productive after 7 o'clock.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The company no longer cares about customer service when it comes to residential deliveries. In the old days (early 90's) if we came back after 7pm we had to have a pretty good explanation.

Today, at 6 pm, drivers in my hub have anywhere between 60 and 100 stops left to deliver. A simple math equation would tell you how many hours of work that is in the dark.

100 stops @ 15 sporh avg. 6.6 hours of work
75 stops @ 15 sporh avg. 5.0 hours of work
50 stops @ 15 sporh avg. 3.3 hours of work
25 stops @ 15 spohr avg. 1.6 hours of work

With these kinds of numbers, UPS continues to overwork its driver force and then wonders why injuries are on the rise. With just 50 stops at 6 pm, another 3.3 hours means the driver would complete the dispatch at 9:15pm before being able to return to the building.

Then, as an added bonus, the routes plan out less than 8.5 hours each despite having 12 hours worth of work on them.

The company clearly doesnt care about its employee's health or safety when it operates in this fashion.

Peace

TOS

screamin chicken

if im out after 7, 8, 9 i ring the bell , knock what ever, so the cust. will be like really couldnt you just leave it im sleeping, and like i tell them do me a favor and call in a complaint about the your pkg being delivered at 8 pm and the driver woke you up, then may be we can get better then 10 plus hr days back to 8.5 hr days....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The company no longer cares about customer service when it comes to residential deliveries. In the old days (early 90's) if we came back after 7pm we had to have a pretty good explanation.

Today, at 6 pm, drivers in my hub have anywhere between 60 and 100 stops left to deliver. A simple math equation would tell you how many hours of work that is in the dark.

100 stops @ 15 sporh avg. 6.6 hours of work
75 stops @ 15 sporh avg. 5.0 hours of work
50 stops @ 15 sporh avg. 3.3 hours of work
25 stops @ 15 spohr avg. 1.6 hours of work

With these kinds of numbers, UPS continues to overwork its driver force and then wonders why injuries are on the rise. With just 50 stops at 6 pm, another 3.3 hours means the driver would complete the dispatch at 9:15pm before being able to return to the building.

Then, as an added bonus, the routes plan out less than 8.5 hours each despite having 12 hours worth of work on them.

The company clearly doesnt care about its employee's health or safety when it operates in this fashion.

Peace

TOS

You guys out west are laid back but taking 12 hours to do an 8.5 plan? You take 9 hours to do that plan in my Center and they would be all over you.

brostalss

It comes with the job. When it gets dark you do have to slow your pace a little bit. I try not to be out when it's dark. If I am I always leave the easiest most well lit section on my route.

bham brown

9:00 PM is my cut off time as well for deliveries that I deem unsafe. I have been told to use the emergency conditions selection in the DIAD. Which I have used numerous times this week. I no longer put myself in harms way just to deliver a package. I have had one to many guns pulled on me. And if they don't like that then they are more than welcome to come get it and deliver it to the trailer sitting a half mile off the road down a rutted out muddy driveway.