scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
So these brilliant guys steal a package car at the end of the day that should be empty? Hijacking the package car is a new twist lately. We had about six drivers in my center robbed over the last couple of years. They were mainly looking for cell phones.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So these brilliant guys steal a package car at the end of the day that should be empty? Hijacking the package car is a new twist lately. We had about six drivers in my center robbed over the last couple of years. They were mainly looking for cell phones.
As you and I know, these package cars are far from empty at 10:30pm as of late. Would love to have had the news ask “Why are drivers out delivering packages at 10:30 at night”.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As you and I know, these package cars are far from empty at 10:30pm as of late. Would love to have had the news ask “Why are drivers out delivering packages at 10:30 at night”.

Ha, you have a point. I get back to the building and see our new fleet of rentals full of missed packages. I had a supervisor from Long Island come take sixty stops off me today after my Helper forgot it was a work day. They flew management in from all over the country to bail us out. We made fun of each other's accents.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ha, you have a point. I get back to the building and see our new fleet of rentals full of missed packages. I had a supervisor from Long Island come take sixty stops off me today after my Helper forgot it was a work day. They flew management in from all over the country to bail us out. We made fun of each other's accents.
Roswell has corporate guys loading trucks every morning this week, over 200 of them doing things from shuttling misloads to delivering stops. They felt all proud of themselves loading a single truck until we told them guys making $10 do it better and load 3 at a time.

This morning those smiles and joking around they showed earlier in the week had disappeared, replaced with leaning on the belts and watching the belt for the drivers to come up so they could hit the break room and check their laptops scattered throughout the room next to outlets.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Maybe UPS should hire more drivers so they aren't working at 10:30pm. Why pay someone OT when they can hire some additional employees at regular rate to help out. It's a win-win. You have happy drivers who don't have to work till midnight and you have happy new hires who have a high paying job helping take work off overworked drivers.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Maybe UPS should hire more drivers so they aren't working at 10:30pm. Why pay someone OT when they can hire some additional employees at regular rate to help out. It's a win-win. You have happy drivers who don't have to work till midnight and you have happy new hires who have a high paying job helping take work off overworked drivers.
UPS math

They are more worried about how much health and pension money they pay the union every week than about the OT.
UPS owes money to the union for every hour (up to 40) each full time driver works.
After 40 hours, they just have to pay OT rate. Somehow, OT is cheaper than the contributions.
This is why they play games with new drivers, change job classifications, and cut routes leaving drivers out late at night.

I hope our union will increase the OT rate which will lead UPS to hire more drivers and leave more routes in.