Delivering In The Dark

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The new late commit times present a new issue that most Express drivers are not used to....delivering in the dark. As others have pointed-out, FedEx isn't providing flashlights, spotlights, or any aids to help you here. It is very difficult to deliver residentials in the dark if you've never done it. Plus, it's very easy to fall or hit something just because you have limited vision. In a semi-rural or rural area without street lights? Good luck! As always, anything bad that happens will be your fault. WAD, go very slowly, and bring back lots of DEX 01s and 03s for Fred.

HomeDelivery

you kiddin' me?

i've armed myself with the following all year long:

peak-1-million-candlepower-spotlight-pkcotm-3.jpg

some here said they use their smartphone's flashlight as well...

peak-1-million-candlepower-spotlight-pkcotm-3.jpg

FUFred

Also remember in those poorly lit rural areas, that are far away from the truck, sometimes a lose dog shows up. Many times during peak and at night, I'd come across one or two dogs just walking around. I was lucky it was a yellow lab or just a very friendly dog who wanted to play. A few other couriers weren't so lucky. Fedex, will of course tell you that the dog bite was preventable and its your own fault.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Delivering in the dark for Brown is the norm. Not that big of a deal. Just bring a spotlight. Try delivering in the dark during xmas for 4 or 5 hours after it gets dark that sux :censored2: lol.

barnyard

KTM rider
Maybe you shouldn't have to provide it on your own dime.

UPS drivers provide their own flashlights, including feeder drivers that have to have one in order to pretrip.

I have a law enforcement style that used AA batteries and has an LED light source. It is very bright, bright enough to see numbers on houses from the cab. Plus the batteries last more than a year (I replace the batteries every year at Thanksgiving, just because I am pretty much always on vacation that week and when I come back, I have all me 'peak' stuff ready to go.)

MAKAVELI

UPS drivers provide their own flashlights, including feeder drivers that have to have one in order to pretrip.

I have a law enforcement style that used AA batteries and has an LED light source. It is very bright, bright enough to see numbers on houses from the cab. Plus the batteries last more than a year (I replace the batteries every year at Thanksgiving, just because I am pretty much always on vacation that week and when I come back, I have all me 'peak' stuff ready to go.)
If we made $32 an hour, I don't think anyone here would be complaining about furnishing their own flashlight.

Kirk

Many years ago during the peak rush! I went to a customer's house animals were everywhere! I shut the truck off, delivered the package got back into the truck shut the doors and when down the road. BUT I had to go back because I had a sheep in the back of the truck! Damn sheep! Owner thought it was funny!

!Retired!

Also remember in those poorly lit rural areas, that are far away from the truck, sometimes a lose dog shows up.
I've never lost my dog, so you'd be safe on my block.

If we made $32 an hour, I don't think anyone here would be complaining about furnishing their own flashlight.
You should have a flashlight in your home. A 3-D Cell Maglite would cost you $20.65 on Amazon + 10 Energizer D batteries $14.99 = free shipping. Batteries last for a year or so depending on use.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

There's a reason, though, that law enforcement types like the 3D Maglite and hold it overhand. ie: Wrong answer! Whack!

CJinx

Even if you did make 30+ an hour, I'm sure you'd still complain about any out of pocket costs; that's what you do. :\