Delivering on Air Only days

1pocket73

I agree about grabbing a map and routing yourself. But 120 stops is a lot more then we normally run on Saturday. And having EDD just makes it worse. You get to depending on EDD to help you with the delivery order. After all that is the way you are trained.

Thank you! Exactly what I mean.I did end up mapping myself.However,when you're mapping 95+ stops in a very large area that you don't know,it takes a LOT longer than 10 minutes like the previous poster said.It took me more like 40 minutes! I had no other choice! Did what I had to do to finish.I probably ran 2 hours over or more.Combine that with late airs and I will probably get talked to tomorrow in the office.If that happens,I may go get my steward to go with me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

Upstate what are you going to say if management comes and ask you why you scanned the eam before you left the building. I know we have gone thru this before but now im curious as to what your answer to them would be? What are you going to do when you become unemployed? Seriously, what would your response be to them when they call you in the office? Always tell your sup that you will have late air. Never leave the building without letting them know. When they ask you why your air was late your only answer should be " I was over dispatched and I told my sup, he didnt seem to concerned ". Hang in their and DO NOT FOLLOW IN UPSTATES LACK OF INTEGRITY FOOTSTEPS!!!!!!!!!!!

BUCN85

I had about 60 or so stops. Over a large area. Didn't get my last noon commit off until about 1430. We had bad weather here in ohio so we were told to sheet as weather. I had 3 on call air I had to do at noon too. Finished the day at 1630.

They were my first stop which is the only reason I decided to do what I did. I know that if I had asked my on-car I would have been directed to do exactly what I did. Does that make it right? Absolutely not. Is this a battle I want to fight? Absolutely not.

Your on car won't be the one firing you. Someone up above will. I know 3 fired for doing that. All 3 had to fight to get their job back. Don't put yourself or your on car sup in that position. Your on car won't get their job back.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You designate them all as residential---gives you 4.5 hours to get them delivered on time if they are commercial..

Please don't tell people to do that. It's straight up blatant dishonesty and can get you terminated. If you are a new driver reading this, DO NOT HIT THE RES/BUS BUTTON to mark a business as a residence. You can lose your job.

Marne Vet

I always find these days much more difficult to deliver on because we are delivering a much larger area(for me yesterday,about 10 routes worth)with several 12:00 commits.Having to break off at 10:30 so I didn't have any late air(which I ended up having anyway)makes for big time inefficiency.Of course it helps to know the entire area you are doing,but yesterday I knew Zero of mine.That was pretty tough with 125 stops and 35 noon commits!

Does anybody else experience this on air only days?How have you dealt with it to improve?I was going to say something to management before I left but I didn't want to cause problems.It was one of the most stressful days I have had thusfar and have been full time driving for about a year now.Thanks for any responses!

There were a lot of upset senior drivers that volunteered the other day, that came in expecting to work their areas only to find out we were stuck on zips we weren't accustomed too. I had one myself. Hadn't been in this area in 11-12 years, so I did what I would do any time I had stuff I wasn't familiar with. I separated the work on the shelfs. Moved the stuff I did know to one side, and sorted it the best I could. Moved everything else to the other side. Took a count of my NDA's, and then started running the area I didn't know first. It's amazing what Google Maps on an iPhone can do for ya when you run your earpiece up through your shirt. Turn by turn navigation to get me to a street, bust out that street, and repeat if necessary. Kept an eye on the time for my airs, and half of them came off in the area I was unfamiliar with. Once that junk was completed all I had left was the stuff I knew. Ran the rest of my NDA's off, then finished the day. One stop at a time. The point of the story is that I didn't lose my mind over what they gave me. I stayed as calm as could be. I knew it would come off even if I had to use my phone for every address. I don't care about their times, and their stupid numbers. That's their game to play, not mine. I worried about it during my 30 day rookie inauguration. Now all I care about is getting done, whenever it is, and being safe doing it. Speed isn't a concern of mine, or if I'm out so late they have to send the Cavalry. If [they] make the decision to bury you in an area you have no knowledge on, then [they] should be prepared for the consequences. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please don't tell people to do that. It's straight up blatant dishonesty and can get you terminated. If you are a new driver reading this, DO NOT HIT THE RES/BUS BUTTON to mark a business as a residence. You can lose your job.

What the hell are you talking about? I am talking about designating the NDA Savers as residential or commercial in EDD, not when you are completing the delivery. Designating the NDA Savers as residential resets EDD to a more logical delivery order and has no impact on the actual delivery. When you deliver the stop you will then designate it as residential or commercial.

I never advised anyone to lie to beat the commit by designating a commercial as a residential. This is wrong and can get you fired. You need to read a bit more slowly and carefully before jumping to the wrong conclusion.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

20 minutes before a commit time, those stops will force themselves to the top of the list. If you hit res/bus for each one, all they do is go back to their original trace in EDD.

Happens everyday at 240pm when the residential NDA savers pop up, Upstate was just saying you can streamline the delivery order instead of having them bunch up at the top of the list. A driver is still on the hook for commercial delivery times.

Upstate said he was already wrong about the EAM, it was delivered late regardless so the refund potential is still in play but he just added risk to an unriskable offense.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I never advised anyone to lie to beat the commit by designating a commercial as a residential. This is wrong and can get you fired. You need to read a bit more slowly and carefully before jumping to the wrong conclusion.
There he goes again ... you know how Too those Techies can be!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What the hell are you talking about? I am talking about designating the NDA Savers as residential or commercial in EDD, not when you are completing the delivery. Designating the NDA Savers as residential resets EDD to a more logical delivery order and has no impact on the actual delivery. When you deliver the stop you will then designate it as residential or commercial.

You're mistaken. Hitting the Res/Bus button does not just bump the stop off the top of your list--it also tells your diad that it's a residence so it does not need to be delivered by the commit time. So if you have a business with a saver due by 3pm and hit the bus/res button then show up at 3:30pm to deliver it, you won't be forced to enter the late air reason and you won't show up on a report. Make sense?

To clarify, I'm not talking about residential stops. Obviously it's fine to hit the bus/res button on a res stop. That's what it's there for...

Indecisi0n

You're mistaken. Hitting the Res/Bus button does not just bump the stop off the top of your list--it also tells your diad that it's a residence so it does not need to be delivered by the commit time. So if you have a business with a saver due by 3pm and hit the bus/res button then show up at 3:30pm to deliver it, you won't be forced to enter the late air reason and you won't show up on a report. Make sense?

To clarify, I'm not talking about residential stops. Obviously it's fine to hit the bus/res button on a res stop. That's what it's there for...
Wrong. If you mark a business as a residential it will remove the the saver commit time (3pm) but if you then get a sig for the saver and enter it as a business location (front desk: dock etc) after 3pm the package will come up late.

In your example the only way to get around it being late is to not get a sig and use a DR tag (met man/women or just release) or after signature use 1 for residential delivery which would be falsifying records.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Right, you'd have to also select res when getting a sig (which sadly lots of people do to avoid getting pulled into the office.)

Pkgcar1988

Wrong. If you mark a business as a residential it will remove the the saver commit time (3pm) but if you then get a sig for the saver and enter it as a business location (front desk: dock etc) after 3pm the package will come up late.

In your example the only way to get around it being late is to not get a sig and use a DR tag (met man/women or just release) or after signature use 1 for residential delivery which would be falsifying records.
Correct, just did this the other day at a resi , accidentally hit 7 after having a resi sign for an Nda saver around 1800 came up as late air , voided it out and went back and rescanned package and did it the correct way so I wouldn't hear about it the next day.

Marne Vet

Correct, just did this the other day at a resi , accidentally hit 7 after having a resi sign for an Nda saver around 1800 came up as late air , voided it out and went back and rescanned package and did it the correct way so I wouldn't hear about it the next day.

You didn't? They see ALL voids. They know the second you "fat thumb" a Saver commercial when you should've hit residential, and you voided it out, and rescanned it. They see these, and it's now one of their "new" reports in my Center that we're NOT allowed to be on. No voiding stops.