Delivering on Diversity: How UPS is confronting its past with an eye on the future

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

rod

Retired 22 years
Delivering on Diversity: How UPS is confronting its past with an eye on the future - Atlanta Business Chronicle

It's Day 1 at UPS, and Rhonda Clark doesn't see anyone who looks like her.

It's 1989, and Clark is the only woman and the only minority on the plant engineering team at a United Parcel Service hub in Knoxville.

She felt out of place, and at times, lonely.

It’s a sentiment she recounts in a new book, “Black Voices from Big Brown, Untold stories of Black employees at UPS.”

Maybe I should write a book. The Untold Stories of EVERYONES First Day at UPS. (out of place and lonely).

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Maybe I should write a book. The Untold Stories of EVERYONES First Day at UPS. (out of place and lonely).
Nooooo! We want to hear the OTHER untold stories. You know the ones you couldn’t talk about while working at UPS, for fear of being fired. And the ones from before you married your lovely bride. Lol.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nooooo! We want to hear the OTHER untold stories. You know the ones you couldn’t talk about while working at UPS, for fear of being fired. And the ones from before you married your lovely bride. Lol.
There are no UPS stories before I got married other than about 3 months as a part timer. Back then from what I was told by the hiring people, to become full time, you had to be 21 - have your service obligations out of the way (Vietnam era you know) and BE MARRIED. UPS wanted people who they felt were responsible and settled down. I got married on a Saturday and was hired FULL TIME the following Tuesday. (It was Memorial weekend) . I wouldn't be able to tell all my stories until I checked to make sure the statute of limitation has ran out.