Delivering right after loading shift

TheKingOfQueens

Hello my fellow UPS brothers !! Question . I loaded from 615 till about 10:30 cuz we were backed up and was asked if I wanted to make a drop of packages an hour away. I said yes and put my browns on. Waited around for a couple mins but then was told that there weren't enough packages and that they weren't gonna use me . The question is ... Does the 10 hour rule not apply to this ? I know some loaders load for a couple hours then deliver to airport. Does the 10 hour rule not apply to these types of deliveries ? I'm thinking not .. Little help please :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
10 hour rule applies to anyone with a DOT card. You can not drive unless you had 10 hours down time the previous night.

TheKingOfQueens

I have a dot card . So driving directly after a load shift for an hour or 2 is ok ? I was in my browns and ready to go .

Sent using BrownCafe App

I was only on the clock for about 4 hours and they asked if I wanted to make some deliveries . They also said they were sending a sup with me .

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was only on the clock for about 4 hours and they asked if I wanted to make some deliveries . They also said they were sending a sup with me.

They were sending you with a sup because the sup cannot deliver on his own.

How long did you hang around before they told you to go home? Were you paid for that time?

I was only on the clock for about 4 hours and they asked if I wanted to make some deliveries . They also said they were sending a sup with me .

Sent using BrownCafe App
Was this AM or PM? At first it sounded like you were shuttling packages to the airport. Then you said making deliveries. You would be paid air rate.

TheKingOfQueens

They were sending you with a sup because the sup cannot deliver on his own.

How long did you hang around before they told you to go home? Were you paid for that time?

For about an hour . Before I left one of the sups took my time down so I did get paid till I left . Not driver pay though .. Loader pay.

Sent using BrownCafe App

opie

I think the 10hr rule would apply if you punched out. But if you stay on the clock as you should, there wouldn't be any problems.

TheKingOfQueens

I think the 10hr rule would apply if you punched out. But if you stay on the clock as you should, there wouldn't be any problems.

Thanks opie. I was asked to help the loaders put in some bulk and was kept on the clock while waiting so the 10hour rule doesn't apply . Thanks for the info guys !

Sent using BrownCafe App

The 10 hour rule says you have to have 10 hours off between days. A lot of times I come in and work the AM doing air deliveries and come back in the PM and do pick ups. Can't go over 12 hours and must have 10 hours off before the next AM deliveries. UPS also can't make you wait off the clock for them to decide if they want you to go to the airport or not.

TheKingOfQueens

The 10 hour rule says you have to have 10 hours off between days. A lot of times I come in and work the AM doing air deliveries and come back in the PM and do pick ups. Can't go over 12 hours and must have 10 hours off before the next AM deliveries. UPS also can't make you wait off the clock for them to decide if they want you to go to the airport or not.

I was on the clock . Loader pay though . But then they said they didn't have enough packages and then they clocked me out and I went home .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Whatever your start time, say 12 midnite, you have to be off by 2pm to have 10 hours off before your start.

If you are working, punch out, you can not punch in again regardless of what time it is until 10 hours has passed.

Whatever your start time, say 12 midnite, you have to be off by 2pm to have 10 hours off before your start.

If you are working, punch out, you can not punch in again regardless of what time it is until 10 hours has passed.
I disagree with that statement. Lots of drivers have worked their hours, punched out and been called back in for an emergency situation. Can't force you to come back in and still have to follow hours of service rules. Some drivers do not have a regular start time.