Delivery driver or management job?

upscubus

Hi,

I'm new to this site. Before I get to my questions here's my situation:

I got hired 2 weeks ago as a loader in Washington state. I have a day job as an accountant that pays $20/hour (I have Bachelor in accounting and finance). I wanted to become an UPS delivery driver because of 4 reasons: 1.it pays more than my day job, 2.better benefits, 3.kind of don't like seating in an office all day, 4.I like UPS uniform (not in particular order).

When I asked the hiring manager at the interview, she told me that currently, it'd most likely take 8 months to 1 year to become a driver in my hub because there's a shortage. The UPS delivery driver who delivers package to my day job told me also that he's started out as a package handler 2 years ago and it took him just over a year to become a delivery driver. But when I talked to my part-time sup, he said it'll most likely take 3-5 years.

If it will actually take more than 1.5 years, I would consider non-union jobs such as finance or accounting.

So here are my questions:
1. who should I believe regarding time it takes to become a driver? my sup or HR hiring manager?
2. If I decide to pursue non-union jobs, what are my chances of getting a position at a finance or accounting department? How long will it take and How are the pays like?
3. What would be the fastest route for me to make $30+ an hour at UPS?

Thanks in advance.

​-shawn-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi,

I'm new to this site. Before I get to my questions here's my situation:

I got hired 2 weeks ago as a loader in Washington state. I have a day job as an accountant that pays $20/hour (I have Bachelor in accounting and finance). I wanted to become an UPS delivery driver because of 4 reasons: 1.it pays more than my day job, 2.better benefits, 3.kind of don't like seating in an office all day, 4.I like UPS uniform (not in particular order).

When I asked the hiring manager at the interview, she told me that currently, it'd most likely take 8 months to 1 year to become a driver in my hub because there's a shortage. The UPS delivery driver who delivers package to my day job told me also that he's started out as a package handler 2 years ago and it took him just over a year to become a delivery driver. But when I talked to my part-time sup, he said it'll most likely take 3-5 years.

If it will actually take more than 1.5 years, I would consider non-union jobs such as finance or accounting.

1. who should I believe regarding time it takes to become a driver? my sup or HR hiring manager?
2. If I decide to pursue non-union jobs, what are my chances of getting a position at a finance or accounting department? How long will it take and How are the pays like?

Thanks in advance.

​-shawn-
Your HR person may not be the closest to the actual trends in your UPS Center.
Your sup is probably a better source but he/she, may be wanting that job and may want you to quit so he/she has a better chance.
Ask other drivers in your center and ask if any are retiring soon.
Bottom line, don't take anyone's word. Balance out the various inputs and come up with a range based on that input and plan accordingly.

Not many, if any, new management people get $30 / hour at UPS. More like $25/hr and expect 45 hours per week at least.
Don't count MIP or bonus in your salary as you cannot depend on that and that is probably 2 years out.
Management has no pension but a paltry 4% 401-k match.
Management has a decent healthcare plan but plan to spend $350 / month plus co-pays on doctor visits and other medical until a $5000 out-of-pocket is reached.
​Prescriptions are around 20% - 50% depending on drug and their is no out-of-pocket limit.
Based on what you have stated, you are not in a major metro area.
Most UPS management jobs are concentrated in major metro areas.

And this is probably the best advice:
1-Get your MBA.

2-Get a lot of clients.

3-Stay an accountant and enjoy life.

Last edited:
You will love sitting in an office when it is raining all day long. You will love sitting in an office when it is 100 degrees outside and it's 130 degrees in the back of that truck. You will love sitting in an office when it is Zero degrees outside and you are in a heated environment. You will love sitting in an office when the heaviest thing you have to lift is a pen, while the UPS driver is lifting 150 pound exercise machines up six flights of stairs because there is no elevator.
You really like the uniform? I'll give you one of mine to wear on Halloween. Don't quit what you're doing now for something that looks appealing on the outside, but once unwrapped becomes very ugly.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Part time sups know virtually nothing about anything and even less about getting a full time union job. Local HR folks may be able to give you an approximate timeframe but it is usually their best guess. Ultimately you should ask your business agent or union rep what the current average wait is to go driving. P.S. in most places you can only sign the driver list in January for the whole year and need 9 months seniority as a part time union employee first.

You should ask your local HR rep.

If you were a mechanic instead of an accountant that would have helped :). Aside from that either full time management, car washer or driver are the only things that come to mind.
Thanks in advance.

​-shawn-[/QUOTE]

40andOut

I have been at UPS over 30 years. I have seen about 10% of management make it all the way to retirement. Many are fired or forced out, and most quit. As difficult and demanding the driver position is, being a manager at this company is far worse. They will expect/pressure you to compromise your principles (especially honesty), manipulate and harass your workers, sacrifice your family life, etc. etc.

If you choose the package car route expect allot of forced overtime and harassment. Also expect your body to be so beat up after 20 years that you will feel 15 years older than you actually are. If you choose feeders expect less toll on your body but don't expect to see your wife and kids for the rest of your career, 12+ hrs work a day. Allot of divorced feeder drivers.

You are young. Find a company that values it's workers and doesn't put unreasonable demands on them. Get out while you still can.

brostalss

Screw management. Having to put up with all those whiny drivers? I'd tell them " if you don't like it, then quit"

I just drive. Our job as drivers is fairly simple and low stress. Problem is a lot of drivers make it difficult on themselves with a piss poor attitude.