Delivery to neighbor policy?

bc500

The European policy, called UPS Terms and Conditions of Carriage, REV. 01/11, states that "UPS may deliver a shipment to ... neighbours of the receiver".

I have three questions about this.

Is this a recent revision or a long time policy? I've had several packages shipped to me with UPS before and they never been left with a neighbor if I wasn't home. The process has always been three delivery attempts, then the package is left at the distribution center for me to pick up. So is this a new policy? Or how do they decide between three attempts, or delivery to a neighbor? Can it be that they attempted to delivery my package to my neighbors on previous deliveries to me too, but that my neighbors also happened to be away on previous deliveries the same times I was away? So this was the first time one of my neighbors was home, and I wasn't home, when they attempted delivery?

Secondly, UPS only gave me the first name and the first letter of the last name of the person that received the package. Does UPS have any obligations beyond this to help me receive my package? For example give me the full name of the receiver, tell me the apartment number and adress of the receiver, or contact the receiver and ask them to give me the package if they don't give me the package, or refund me if the receiver has opened the package or stolen parts of the delivery?

Lastly, are there any delivery options that rule out neighbor delivery? The only option I've identified is Adult Signature Required combined with sender instructions to not leave your shipment with a neighbor[source]. Are there any other options?

I'm sad to say that I lost my package, including possible sensitive information on the receipt such as credit card number or passwords, to a neighbor. I filed a lost package claim with UPS, with the sender and with the payment service. In all cases the response is that they can't do anything since the UPS Terms and Conditions allow delivery to a neighbor. To me this means that I from now on have to get written confirmation from the sender beforehand that they will instruct UPS to not leave my package with a neighbor. Before I place the order in the online order form. Which means additional work.

Thank you for keeping your replies exceedingly parsimonious and to the point and without any fluff. Please cite sources for all stated facts, i.e. rules, regulations, code, policy or terms or conditions or other sources. Please keep the discussion to the European UPS policy only since their US terms and conditions is a different document.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
The European policy, called UPS Terms and Conditions of Carriage, REV. 01/11, states that "UPS may deliver a shipment to ... neighbours of the receiver".

I have three questions about this.

Is this a recent revision or a long time policy?NO I've had several packages shipped to me with UPS before and they never been left with a neighbor if I wasn't home. The process has always been three delivery attempts, then the package is left at the distribution center for me to pick up. So is this a new policy?NO Or how do they decide between three attempts, or delivery to a neighbor? Can it be that they attempted to delivery my package to my neighbors on previous deliveries to me too, but that my neighbors also happened to be away on previous deliveries the same times I was away?Could be So this was the first time one of my neighbors was home, and I wasn't home, when they attempted delivery? Yes
If the driver sees signs of life at your neighbors he may try to indirect it

Secondly, UPS only gave me the first name and the first letter of the last name of the person that received the package. Does UPS have any obligations beyond this to help me receive my package? For example give me the full name of the receiver, tell me the apartment number and adress of the receiver, or contact the receiver and ask them to give me the package if they don't give me the package, or refund me if the receiver has opened the package or stolen parts of the delivery?if the driver leaves your package with a neighbor,he is trained to leave an info notice with a description of where he left it.

Lastly, are there any delivery options that rule out neighbor delivery? The only option I've identified is Adult Signature Required combined with sender instructions to not leave your shipment with a neighbor[source]. Are there any other options?

I'm sad to say that I lost my package, including possible sensitive information on the receipt such as credit card number or passwords, to a neighbor. I filed a lost package claim with UPS, with the sender and with the payment service. In all cases the response is that they can't do anything since the UPS Terms and Conditions allow delivery to a neighbor. To me this means that I from now on have to get written confirmation from the sender beforehand that they will instruct UPS to not leave my package with a neighbor. Before I place the order in the online order form. Which means additional work.It may be the only option

Thank you for keeping your replies exceedingly parsimonious and to the point and without any fluff. Please cite sources for all stated facts, i.e. rules, regulations, code, policy or terms or conditions or other sources. Please keep the discussion to the European UPS policy only since their US terms and conditions is a different document.
If you can find the person that signed for it,they are legally responsible for it.I'm sorry for my lack of parsimoniousness,sorry this happened to you,I suggest you keep complaining to ups,they have an obligation to provide a service and they failed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are trained to indirect the package when possible if the consignee is not home. If we are able to leave the pkg with the neighbor we leave the address where the pkg was left on the info notice. We cannot leave Adult Signature Required pkgs with anyone other than the consignee or an adult at the same address. The liability for the pkg does transfer to whomever signed for it. We clarify all signatures with the receivers last name and put the left at location in the DIAD.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sorry, I can't help since I'm only familiar with the US terms and conditions.

You can, however call UPS 800 number and get transferred to somebody local to you and have them add a note to the Diad (scanner) that says "No indirect _____(your address)

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, I just been told today, I should be thankful to the UPS driver, leaving it at my neighbors, even though I really disliked it (family of 10 or more chinese) and took me 2 days to retrieve it.
Thought they had an early xmas present !

I would have rather gone down to the center and picked it up personally !

Big Babooba

Well, I just been told today, I should be thankful to the UPS driver, leaving it at my neighbors, even though I really disliked it (family of 10 or more chinese) and took me 2 days to retrieve it.
Did you get egg roll or fortune cookie?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Never hurts to let your wine age another couple of days!

moreluck

golden ticket member

Got a little too close to the melting pot, huh?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Why weren't you home? You didn't go out and become gainfully employed behind our backs now did you?:smart: Maybe the neighbors will feed you like Clint in Gran Torino. "That old women hates my ass".

just remember it's not all a out you.

klein

Why weren't you home? You didn't go out and become gainfully employed behind our backs now did you?:smart: Maybe the neighbors will feed you like Clint in Gran Torino. "That old women hates my ass".

I was working, Safety Watch for a coal plant shut-down (left my house at 5:15am, came home after 7pm), 7 days a week for 3 weeks. According to the info notices, I only missed him by 10 min. each day.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was working, Safety Watch for a coal plant shut-down (left my house at 5:15am, came home after 7pm), 7 days a week for 3 weeks. According to the info notices, I only missed him by 10 min. each day.

what about the hot dogs and making $400 a day ????????????

klein

what about the hot dogs and making $400 a day ????????????

Working on that. Did my food safety course last Saturday, and been looking at carts for sale all week, just haven't found the perfect one for me, yet.
Also talked to the Safeway assistant manager yesterday, if I can set it up in front of their doors.
I'm waiting for corperate to get back on me on that.

Got a huge outdoor concert to go to for 4 days (Canada Day long weekend) that 20.000 people attend.
Going to sell maybe 2000 dogs and smokies per day.

I'll get there, yet. :)