dell account

P

parttimejon

so...what happened with the dell account. i haven't been seeing much here in the last week or so when we normally get at least one full truck.

A

at

We lost both Dell and Gateway. It appears we picked up LTD though.

K

kidlogic

Fedex bid on Dell. Then Dell came to UPS and gave us a copy of their bid to see if we could do better. UPS look at the new deal as not making money so the gave it up.

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Too bad there isn't anyone posting on here from the Whites Creek Hub or Massman Hub out of Nashville, Tn. They could probably tell you what is going on for sure. Two of the major Dell Factorys are located there. </font>

Y

yonnko

From what I understand Fed Ex also negotiated as part of the deal, that they, (Fed Ex) agreed to purchase a certain amount of Dell PC's for their office facilities

R

rushfan

Seems the excuse is "so and so gave them a better deal than we can so we gave them up". Why? I always hear "ups's labor costs are too high and we'll have to do some wage re-negotiating so we can give the shippers a better deal." Another words-the driver's fault why we lost all these accounts.
The same old excuse.
Man,I'm so sick of hearing that.

L

lifer

I hate to hear about us loosing Dell. Its not just about profit ---- you have to look at market share. we have to do whatever it takes at the bargaining table to keep the deals like this one. ridiculous.

S

sertsg

The Dell account was fought for very hard. UPS's CEO and Dell's CEO even met to try and save the account. UPS will still get a small percentage of the Dell volume coming out of TN. We will just have to wait and see if their new shipper can ramp up their ground network to accept the volume and deliver what they have promised. I think Dell will come back eventually because of the poor service they will be getting from their new carrier.

C

clarkie

Those systems (sometimes 4 to 5 boxes) take up a good bit of space in our p800's. Those Fedex home delivery people are going to LOVE those things in their spacious vans...

B

bglyle

Guy's
I'm a contractor for Fedex Home Delivery. We had the Dell account a couple of years ago. We were happy to see it go. Signatures for all boxes. Contractors don't make money if we can't get our stops off. Most people were not home during the day. We had to jump around to get them off. Most of us do 8 to 20 zips and it was hard. When our regional manager came in and told us we lost the account we all cheered even our terminal manager and regional manager. Our regional manager said the Fedex Home Delivery was not making money on Dell. I hope Ground keeps the account but, I hope we get NONE of them.

Bil

U

upsdude

AT (Unregistered Guest)...........

"We lost both Dell and Gateway. It appears we picked up LTD though."

We didn't lose Gateway.

L

local804

I see bits and pieces of Dell and Gateway still coming through the system in NY. All business is good business, but those are two accounts we can do without.If the customer service reps were out getting new business instead of the meetings at Dunkin Donuts, Ruby Tuesdays,and the Olive Garden, and the AE reps would get their fat A$%Es out of their BMW`s and their Jags, we wouldnt have this problem. Well ... thats my two cents worth......

T

th35

<font color="0000ff">The Dell deal goes Postal via "gypsy" contractors.
anonymous.gif
</font>

U

upsdude

"If the customer service reps were out getting new business instead of the meetings at Dunkin Donuts, Ruby Tuesdays,and the Olive Garden, and the AE reps would get their fat A$%Es out of their BMW`s and their Jags, we wouldnt have this problem. Well ... thats my two cents worth......"

local804...........
My center manager said something soooooooo true this morning, How many AEs work 11-12 hour days? We would get more volume if we trained the drivers to set up accounts!

O

over9five

"We would get more volume if we trained the drivers to set up accounts! "

Sure, 11 or 12 hours aint enough. Why arent the AEs out getting volume? Im in an indusrial area all day and I havent seen one (of ours) in years. What the Hell do they do?

L

local804

What do they do all day?????? They collect a very very large paycheck and drive a very expensive car is what they do. I see one AE bring pizza pies to a very large shipper on Fridays. The workers tell me she brings them pizza all the time. I guess to keep them happy, she buys the guys in the back pies.Not too bad, a six digit salary pizza delivery lady GETTING PAID>>>>>>>>>

T

tieguy

I'm not an AE; but in fairness to them I'm not sure if your giving them a fair shake. While they do draw a salary they have to deliver extra volume if they really want to make any money. Most of their compensation is incentive based. If they don't do the job then they don't make much money. If you see one driving a jag then chances are good the person did they job.

P

proups

Turn in some sales leads and ask your manager to get the AE to come talk to you about them. When the AE shows up, ask him/her why you don't see them on the street and see what they say.

It makes for an interesting conversation.
wink5.gif

O

over9five

Sales Leads have become such a crock! You have to enter them by DIAD now. They go to a phone center that calls the customer.....and thats the end of the lead!