Denied personal day

I signed up for a personal day next week and was denied... i need that day off.. what should i do? call in sick?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
For the future . . . . if you need a day and you absolutely have to have the day off. . . . .call in sick. Now that you tried to get a personal and were denied you still could call out sick but now you will be the "bad guy" for doing it in that order. :biting: Its all part of your learning curve. . . we've all been there:wink2:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
i wouldnt get fired or in trouble if i call in sick? even if the word is out i may call in sick

Tell them today you must have off that day, and that you won't be there that day.

They will bitch. They will moan. They will threaten. They will also survive & get over it.

You won't get paid, but you also won't be lying.

wolfman

Tell them today you must have off that day, and that you won't be there that day.

They will bitch. They will moan. They will threaten. They will also survive & get over it.

You won't get paid, but you also won't be lying.
why wouldnt you get paid? and in the future, don't give them the option to deny you. don't ask-tell them you are taking a personal day.

over9five

Staff member
I signed up for a personal day next week and was denied... i need that day off.. what should i do? call in sick?

I emphasized the key part of your post. You know what you have to do.
Everyone does it, they'll get over it. (Assuming you don't do it all the time).

kingOFchester

why wouldnt you get paid? and in the future, don't give them the option to deny you. don't ask-tell them you are taking a personal day.
My contract states
"......The personal holidays shall be days mutually agreed to by the employer and employee. Employees must give a maximum of four (4) weeks and at least two-(2) week's notice of desire to take such holiday"

And yes, that is exactly how it is written. Not sure that is how I would of worded or typed it.....but there it is.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
sick days are for those that absolutely CAN NOT make it to work. Personal Holidays are negotiable between UPS and the employee.

Now that you have asked for a day off, like the previous post mentioned, you are going to be the bad guy for calling in on that day.

If they are denying you wrongfully ( as in, there are no call-outs that day, normal vacations, staffing is acceptable) then talk to a steward or rep. That is definitely harrassment or something along those lines.

i gave it in a week in advanced.. someone else is taking a personal day that day... im not really sure what im doing to be doing, its actually for a doc appt. i have that evening, but the doc im seeing is very hard to get into and i lucked out on getting the appt that day. im either going to call in sick or just reschedule my appt. ; what you think?

Theichii

did they agree to it in writing? If they did, and they are forcing you to work and you are in the southern region...congratulations, you just got paid overtime for all hours worked today.

redshift1

i gave it in a week in advanced.. someone else is taking a personal day that day... im not really sure what im doing to be doing, its actually for a doc appt. i have that evening, but the doc im seeing is very hard to get into and i lucked out on getting the appt that day. im either going to call in sick or just reschedule my appt. ; what you think?

Depends on what the DR appointment is for. If its a serious health issue they must give you the day off, if not reschedule. At this point I would not call in sick no point in alienating the management team during these uncertain economic times.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Depends on what the DR appointment is for. If its a serious health issue they must give you the day off, if not reschedule. At this point I would not call in sick no point in alienating the management team during these uncertain economic times.

UPS is a money W****. The last thing on my mind is how well economically UPS is doing when I call in sick.

over9five

Staff member
There is no use re-scheduling. What if they deny you that day too? How many times are you going to re-schedule?
And it is none of their business what your doctor appointment is for.
Bang in. Your health comes first.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I emphasized the key part of your post. You know what you have to do.
Everyone does it, they'll get over it. (Assuming you don't do it all the time).

There is no use re-scheduling. What if they deny you that day too? How many times are you going to re-schedule?
And it is none of their business what your doctor appointment is for.
Bang in. Your health comes first.
Listen to the man!

bad company

semi-pro
Call in...

I once requested two personal holidays two months in advance in order to move. My center manager informed me that it only took one day to move and denied the second day. So I called in that morning and informed him that I was using an option day. He immediately started yelling and then resorted to begging me to come in. I told him since 2 months advance notice was not enough time for him to make proper staffing arrangements, I will now call in 1 hour ahead of start time for all future days off. He threatened a warning letter and I said "Good luck with that".

I try to do the right thing and give them plenty of notice to make arrangements. Who is he to tell ME how long it takes ME to move? So screw doing the "right" thing, and call in one hour ahead of start time.