dental insurance...

mainebrown

hey, i was wondering how good our dental plan is...i will be needing oral surgery because i have an undebite....just wonding how much i'll need to pay outta my own pocket...has anyone gone to the ortho for severe dental problems?..if so...did it cost u alotta money?..

satellitedriver

hey, i was wondering how good our dental plan is...i will be needing oral surgery because i have an undebite....just wonding how much i'll need to pay outta my own pocket...has anyone gone to the ortho for severe dental problems?..if so...did it cost u alotta money?..
Go to your dentist. He will check your insurance and give you the amount that you will need to pay out of pocket.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go to your dentist. He will check your insurance and give you the amount that you will need to pay out of pocket.

Actually you can check out your benefits without leaving your home by going to the provider website and/or reading the material that you should have received in the mail. If you go to a participating dentist you should have zero out of pocket.

helenofcalifornia

Braces? I ended up paying $2000 each for my daughters. In hindsight, you can probably get a cheaper orthodontist. For regular dentist visits, I usually pay no more than 10% of the cost.

rod

Retired 22 years
I went to the dentist every 6 months for 30 years and had all the normal work done plus a few biggies ( half a dozen crowns and bridge work once). I can only recall being billed for and extra 6 bucks one time and after I complained the dentist got rid of that. He always told me that I had the best dental ins. he had ever dealt with.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This will most definitely result in out of pocket cost for you. My daughters wisdom teeth set me back around $1K after what the insurance paid.

My son had all four wisdom teeth cut out this past Summer in the oral surgeon's office. We had to pay out over a thousand bucks out of pocket after Central States settled. These plans differ around the country, like someone said, check the website or call the insurance clerk at the doctor's office.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Uh oh, not another picture of Steve. Funny that this dental plan thread came up on the day I was going to post a thread on my new braces.

I just went to the dentist for a cleaning and to replace a crown with a temp crown, total cost was $0 out of pocket. The next day I went to my Orthodontist to get braces, and I do mean next day as in yesterday. My braces will cost me $4,500.00 after all is said and done.

My wife has insurance that covers orthodontics for all of us, but it's an HMO and I would have had to switch orthodontists. I had already done all the preliminary work with my guy, so I just said the heck with it, and spent the extra cash.

When my now 18 year old daughter got braces, our dental plan covered her up to $1,500.00. Don't find too many plans that cover orthodontists for adults these days.

By the way, didn't get the braces to be the prettiest boy on the block. Had an unfortunate accident, which some will call an on purpose, when I was 21. My jaw was shattered and my bite has been off since. That story is for another day and time.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It really depends on the insurance companies available in your state. When I transferred from PorOR to SpoWA, my insurance companies were entirely different. And recently, my coverages have changed slightly. I NEVER used to have a copay, but when I got my new insurance card last year, there's suddenly a $10 co-pay. However, my dental is still really good. I don't pay anything for regular cleanings (2 a year) Fillings is paid at 90% and crown, bridge, and braces (if it's not vanity) is covered at 85%. Everything else, including oral surgery and vanity braces is covered at 80%. Not bad considering the alternative.

writer

Preoad Supervisor

It is good. I have been having work done and it pays well and promptly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Obviously the Union dental plan is much better than the Management Plan.
Wife is getting extensive dental work done next week and our out of pocket will be around $7,000.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think Dentists and Dr.'s adjust their rates according to what they can get out of the insurance company. Sucks for people who walk in of the street and can't afford the high rates.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think Dentists and Dr.'s adjust their rates according to what they can get out of the insurance company. Sucks for people who walk in of the street and can't afford the high rates.

My dentist (same one I have seen for 35+years) treats me VERY fairly now that he knows I don't have dental insurance. But I do agree with everything you posted

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My dentist (same one I have seen for 35+years) treats me VERY fairly now that he knows I don't have dental insurance. But I do agree with everything you posted

You didn't retire with full benefits, rod? 35 years for your dentist is a long time. Hope he's younger than you. My Dr. is the same age as I am, as is my daughters pediatrician, really cool guys, except for my guys, finger in the butt every so often.