Depression

gingerkat

my wife's brother has tried to kill himself a few times. Last time he called my wife and said he was going to do it. I was beyond pissed. Someone who wants to kill themselves doesn't call someone else and say they are going to do it.

Its really hard for me to comprehend. The thought has literally never even crossed my mind. Don't understand how it would cross someone's mind that that's the only option. Closest I've had to suicidal thoughts was hoping for a broken arm in junior high so I could get some sympathy from the ladies.
Brownslave, it's common that you can't comprehend this kind of thinking, but there are others that know it well. Sadly, people that contemplate suicide don't know that there are options or that maybe their options have run out. Their minds are foggy and scrambled, therefore thinking is way off. You absolutely can't be held hostage by someone with this mentality, but I implore you to be understanding of it. When someone say's it over and over, it is a cry for help. Just call 911 and let the professionals deal with him.

Last night my good friend called me saying she didn't want to live anymore. I first asked if she was safe. It was really late, but I jumped in my car and drove to her house. I had to sneak in her back yard like a teenaged boy because her husband doesn't want to hear about her depression. All I could do was sit, hold her hand and let her cry until she felt better. She just needed support from somebody who's been there and won't judge her.

I don't know, maybe it's something they're putting in the water these days, but seems like an awful lot of people suffering from severe depression. Whenever I hear about celebrities coming out about their mental illness I think "wow, there's more awareness these days" but in truth the awareness is just not fast enough. There is still a terrible stigma attached and people are afraid to go to the doctor for help.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While I agree with gingerkat, many people contemplating suicide, think it will be better for everyone. My ex did it a few yrs back, and it did not leave his kids better off. He had so many issues, agent orange, ptsd, and the pills just got layered on him, and he broke. While he was a dick to me, at one time, yrs since our divorce, he had mellowed towards me and I saw a very disturbed man, who suffered with chemical imbalance and clinical depression. But with a good heart. But too many pills, too many docs, too much stress, he gave up. He was not depressed by a normal thing that depresses people, he was depressed by his brain, and he had no control over it. Those are the ones who need help. And yes it is still a stigma. People will take all the pills in the world, for their kidneys, their libido,their heart, their bp. their skin problem. People do not like, and some are not able to take the notion, that their brain isn't functioning properly. therefore the help usually never gets where it needs to be.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ginger you say it seems like there are more people. It's in the water.

No it's called we no longer have what nature would call survival of the fittest. Call me harsh but its the truth. We are the only species that doesn't have survival of the fittest. It's a big reason healthcare costs have skyrocketed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ginger you say it seems like there are more people. It's in the water.

No it's called we no longer have what nature would call survival of the fittest. Call me harsh but its the truth. We are the only species that doesn't have survival of the fittest. It's a big reason healthcare costs have skyrocketed.
No its not in the water. Depression is over treated. You get a divorce, someone dies, its normal to be depressed, not the same as chemically imbalanced depression. Yet they prescribe the same pills. Medical officials know there is a difference. But IMHO they make money off it. Which results in a person having an arsenal of anti psychotic drugs and mood balancers, and inhibitors that they have no need for, yet use. Survival of the fittest is I guess a good term. If you can find a balance and dump it. Few people need these pills, just the severely chemically and clinically depressed.

gingerkat

Well Brownslave that is where many depressed people and you agree. I don't think anyone wants to be a burden to their families or society, so they wish nature would just take them and that is why they contemplate suicide. How many people suffer a breakup and try to kill themselves? That is just a situational depression, imagine what someone with a chemical imbalance goes through? That's not to say that situational depression is any less important.

So now you do have some insight as to why people think about it and then those that complete the act. They can no longer imagine life the way it is. Of course everyone has a right to feel the way they do.

brownboyups

32,000 american service men and women without limbs and head trauma in the last ten years
serving our country...come back to poor VA service and few jobs (they had 1 before they left)

look at your pay stub again...anyone thats gets depressed working for UPS should leave (go)
something tells be you'll really have a reason to be depressed in a month when u can't come back

just my opinion and no one else's

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
32,000 american service men and women without limbs and head trauma in the last ten years
serving our country...come back to poor VA service and few jobs (they had 1 before they left)

look at your pay stub again...anyone thats gets depressed working for UPS should leave (go)
something tells be you'll really have a reason to be depressed in a month when u can't come back

just my opinion and no one else's
Not the same son, apples to oranges.