Depth of Knowledge questions

upsman68

Its that time of year again. We are about to get audited and we have to know these Depth of Knowledge questions.

During the PCM, our center manager calls on one driver to answer a question. Of course the driver does not know it and he starts scolded us saying if we don't know it we should start looking for a new job. He tells us to take it home study it and learn it.

I think the company should at least pay us on the clock to learn this stuff. I know it but other drivers in my bdlg have a hard time learning it.

How do you feel about it? Can you really be fired for not knowing it?

Take care

BTW no slow down at our bdlg. I have been working 10 hours a day average after Christmas.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
UPSman 68. Take the a few extra minutes and learn the depth of knowledge. Heck you would be surprised what you can remember. If you can remember 1000's of street names it will take you no time to learn the 14 questions and answers for depth of knowledge. One day I just decided to learn it and low and behold its pretty much stuck with me. I brush up on it every once in a while and I am good to go.

W

westsideworma

Its that time of year again. We are about to get audited and we have to know these Depth of Knowledge questions.

During the PCM, our center manager calls on one driver to answer a question. Of course the driver does not know it and he starts scolded us saying if we don't know it we should start looking for a new job. He tells us to take it home study it and learn it.

I think the company should at least pay us on the clock to learn this stuff. I know it but other drivers in my bdlg have a hard time learning it.

How do you feel about it? Can you really be fired for not knowing it?

Take care

BTW no slow down at our bdlg. I have been working 10 hours a day average after Christmas.

This has been covered many times before but the consensus was you can't be fired. It is not in the contract and its been said that it is not a condition of employment. I'm sure 705red and others will be able to explain the details better than I, but they are empty threats really (from what I've seen at my building as well).

However, to avoid headaches they might want to learn them at some point :wink2:

UPSman 68. Take the a few extra minutes and learn the depth of knowledge. Heck you would be surprised what you can remember. If you can remember 1000's of street names it will take you no time to learn the 14 questions and answers for depth of knowledge. One day I just decided to learn it and low and behold its pretty much stuck with me. I brush up on it every once in a while and I am good to go.

14 questions? I thought it was 10?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'd say take the extra 1/2 hour after lunch to let your food digest as you learn the depth of knowledge, on the clock, of course.

chev

Nightcrawler
How do I get a breakdown for my health ins for myself and two children. I am told that the BTFlex is what I have contributed. I need to give it to my exspouse for reimbursement and my copy of my payroll stub isn't good enough.
You might want to create a new thread so this does not get lost in this one. A lot more people will see it and someone that knows the answer will be able to assist you. :wink2:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
We do the DOK's once a month. On top of that we have 'Saftey Books" we have to complete every day. You all know the 5 seeing habits and that there are like 27 things to remember just to cover them. How about the 10 point commentary? There is alot to remember but if you keep at it it can be done.

browniehound

I think its important to know the concepts and also be able to practice them at work. Its fine too if you can recite them word for word but I don't think we should be required to do so. I say this because I know there are a percentage of drivers with learning disabilites and they CAN'T memorize the stuff.

S

speeddemon

If I am required to learn it, they will pay me for my time, Thats what we do in our center. We bring in about 4 drivers early a day, and four committee members goes over the questions with them, ON the clock.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We do DOK and safety every week (even during peak and the week before christmas). On the clock. Every driver is scheduled to start 15 min early T-friend. 5 drivers each day. Makes having a 9.5 day easier. LOL

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Tell your manager to go pound sand. You are NOT required to study anything at home on your own time, and it is NOT a condition of employment to be able to regurgitate their acronyms and commentaries like a trained parakeet.

If its really that important to them, they can print the answers out on a laminated card for you to keep in your pocket, and when asked you can just read the commentary back to them. Thats what I do.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have all that stuff printed on laminated cards for us. I have mine in my poicket with my delivery notices everyday. If I'm bored for some reason i will pull them out and look at them. and if your management team is good they will teach you ways to remember them all with little sayings like the All Good Kids Like Milk thing. There is always ways to make learning easy, unfortunately not everybody learns the same way or at the same pace.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
After resisting memorizing it I finally broke down and did it. Memorize a little each day and simply repeat it at least once every work day and it will be seared into your consciousness. At least that is what worked for me.

stringerman85

Yeah they sent some people home the other night on our shift, told them to study it at home....8 keys to lifting and lowering, 5 keys to preventing slips and falls....for some reason it's hard for alot people to remember all those, honestly it is a little rediculous, i mean it's a little too in depth if you know what i mean, but yes knowing it may help you stay safe

I'd say take the extra 1/2 hour after lunch to let your food digest as you learn the depth of knowledge, on the clock, of course.
And how do you CYA on this? They could and probably would come back to you with stealing time, because you are setting and not delivering while on the clock.

diesel96

We used to hand write all the Depths of Knowledge questions weekly. Now we are tested quarterly on the clock...approx 30-45 minutes with pay (without the answers).....The whole kaboodle....5 seeing habits, 8 keys to lifting, 5 keys to prevent slips and falls, 10 point commentary, Evacuation and hazard procedures. Feeders has an advantage during turn-arounds to study on the clock....It's their company, if they want to pay me for written exams...so be it...$$$
Although, I'd most likely have a different attitude as a pkg driver....no down time...

Last edited:

browndevil

Just had a thought. Is there any way Cheryl can post the" depth of knowledge" over in the left column? That way it is at our finger tips. Since this info is so important I think mgmt should hold monthly safety classes. That way they are sure we know this. Not just the 15mins in the am where we fill out the paperwork by giving us the answers