Designated Walk Path Poll

The UPS driver designates the walk path to be used during delivery stops

• Total voters

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all,

Since there exists so much confusion regarding the term "designated walk path", I have formed this simple poll.

Sincerely,
I

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
where is the option for:

ALWAYS uses designated walk path when being ridden with-------- otherwise uses his own judgement

bumped

Just because the driver designates the walk path doesn't mean its the correct walk path. Just like, drivers designate their lunch, but never take it.

PhatAzz

Your Poll seems kind of vague. I don't understand the premise of your statement.
So, I voted based on what I thought/assumed you meant.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your Poll seems kind of vague. I don't understand the premise of your statement.
So, I voted based on what I thought/assumed you meant.
PhatAzz,

Thank you.

I can see your point.

I must admit, it was made in haste.

The reason for the poll is that there seems to be a disagreement as to what the commonly used term, "the designated walk path" actually means. The poll was meant to get a feel for where the BC stands on this.

The term is frequently used in PCMs, safety training and work methods training.

There seems to be 2 basic schools of thought about this.

They are as follows:

1. The designated walk path is the walk path that is provided by the home or business owner to the front or rear of the residence or business establishment. the drivers are to use these walk paths unless they are obstructed or unavailable. Drivers are not to walk across lawns unless absolutely necessary.

2. The designated walk path is determined by the judgement of the driver. The driver is to determine the most direct safe route to the delivery point. It is perfectly fine to take the most direct path from the package car to the delivery point even if it involves cutting across lawns.

Of what school of thought do you belong?

Sincerely,
I

PhatAzz,

Thank you.

I can see your point.

I must admit, it was made in haste.

The reason for the poll is that there seems to be a disagreement as to what the commonly used term, "the designated walk path" actually means. The poll was meant to get a feel for where the BC stands on this.

The term is frequently used in PCMs, safety training and work methods training.

There seems to be 2 basic schools of thought about this.

They are as follows:

1. The designated walk path is the walk path that is provided by the home or business owner to the front or rear of the residence or business establishment. the drivers are to use these walk paths unless they are obstructed or unavailable. Drivers are not to walk across lawns unless absolutely necessary.

2. The designated walk path is determined by the judgement of the driver. The driver is to determine the most direct safe route to the delivery point. It is perfectly fine to take the most direct path from the package car to the delivery point even if it involves cutting across lawns.

Of what school of thought do you belong?

Sincerely,
I
Integrity what kind of job do you have with Ups?

PhatAzz

I have never seen a residence with a "designated" walk path. I have been to businesses, mostly industrial or manufacturing sites, that have designated walk paths for pedestrians to use.
I have seen sidewalks, at residential stops, that lead from a driveway to a front porch. Those sidewalks are for the use of visitors or guests to that residence. UPS delivery drivers don't park in most driveways. Nor, are they a "visitor" or a "guest" at that residence when making a delivery, either. Neither is the cable service employee, the utility meter reader or the Postal Employee. All of which will walk across a lawn to perform their duties/service if needed. Our drivers are paid excellent wages and are expected to make excellent choices when performing their duties.
Maybe your Poll should have been worded "The UPS Driver should choose the Safest, Most Efficient walk path to be used during delivery stops"
That, in my opinion, would be a true statement. It is also worded this way on the Record of Safety Ride form.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have never seen a residence with a "designated" walk path. I have been to businesses, mostly industrial or manufacturing sites, that have designated walk paths for pedestrians to use.
I have seen sidewalks, at residential stops, that lead from a driveway to a front porch. Those sidewalks are for the use of visitors or guests to that residence. UPS delivery drivers don't park in most driveways. Nor, are they a "visitor" or a "guest" at that residence when making a delivery, either. Neither is the cable service employee, the utility meter reader or the Postal Employee. All of which will walk across a lawn to perform their duties/service if needed. Our drivers are paid excellent wages and are expected to make excellent choices when performing their duties.
Maybe your Poll should have been worded "The UPS Driver should choose the Safest, Most Efficient walk path to be used during delivery stops"
That, in my opinion, would be a true statement. It is also worded this way on the Record of Safety Ride form.
PhatAzz,

Thank You!

I will try to be more careful with my polls in the future.

Sincerely,
I

DS

Fenderbender
Integrity what kind of job do you have with Ups?
I'm curious too,you are always so polite.
I voted yes in your poll because I don't ever recall being told to stay on a designated walk path.
What if the pathway is icy,and the lawn is just snow?
I walk on lawns all the time unless there's a sign telling me not to.
Maybe the rule should be,stay on designated walk paths as circumstances permit taking the safest route at your own discretion.

anonymous,

Integrity should be at the core of every job.

Sincerely,
I
Ok Integrity what kind of job are you doing presently for the company.
Are you a porter?
How about maybe in HR
Maybe an air driver
What about an on road supervisor?
Do you work here at all
Or are you really Upssocks?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All,

I want to thank each and everyone who viewed this discussion thread. There were 838 views as of today.

There were 14 replies, some of them being my responses to the replies. I thank all of you who contributed.

22 Participated in the poll. I hoped more would have, but I think I could have worded the poll differently. Thanks to all participants.

Please don't be too mad or defensive but I need to make this statement based upon my knowledge of the term "designated walk path".

"Designated Walk Path" with Integrity

When possible, sidewalks and walkways to the point of delivery , are to always be used.

There are to be no exceptions to this safe work method.

If there is a side walk or walkway to the point of delivery, it is unobstructed, and in good condition, then it must be used.

Not using it is a violation of safe work methods.

Shortcuts should be avoided not sought.

Please, when making deliveries, deliver with Integrity not against him!

Use the designated walk path.

Sincerely,
I

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We had to sign and turn in a self check card,and one item that was considered 'Safe' was that drivers use designated walkways,and avoid cutting thru lawns,yards and landscaping. I read this as walking up the driveway,ten onto the designated walkway to the front porch. I copied it and put it in my log so the next time i am OJS'd and told to cut thru a yard as it is quicker i can pull the copy and show my On Road Supe that i have no desire to be unsafe just to save 4 seconds

UPSGUY72

We had to sign and turn in a self check card,and one item that was considered 'Safe' was that drivers use designated walkways,and avoid cutting thru lawns,yards and landscaping. I read this as walking up the driveway,ten onto the designated walkway to the front porch. I copied it and put it in my log so the next time i am OJS'd and told to cut thru a yard as it is quicker i can pull the copy and show my On Road Supe that i have no desire to be unsafe just to save 4 seconds

LOL

You must be the only person that fill those thing out truthfully. I don't even fill them out they are a waste of time becasue no one fills them out truthfully or correctly they pencil whip them at the end or begining of the day. The big question is why would someone turn in a bad self evaluation. Nothing like putting a bulleyes on yourself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I

The problem with your question is that it leaves out the third selection. No matter how safe and proper the chosen walkway is at that time, should you get hurt, it was the wrong selection.

As a rule of thumb, the hard surface is usually the best. Paved or concrete. Lawns are only to be used as a last resort, as they can potentially hide a tripping, ankle twisting hazard. Not to mention dog piles.

Now, as an additional caveat, what is the time study person going to give you the allowance for? Walking on the only winding paved path, or taking the most direct path to the drop off point?

And UPS Integrity wonders why drivers then take "short cuts".

d