Designated Walk Path Poll

The UPS driver designates the walk path to be used during delivery stops

• Total voters

satellitedriver

To All,

I want to thank each and everyone who viewed this discussion thread. There were 838 views as of today.

There were 14 replies, some of them being my responses to the replies. I thank all of you who contributed.

22 Participated in the poll. I hoped more would have, but I think I could have worded the poll differently. Thanks to all participants.

Please don't be too mad or defensive but I need to make this statement based upon my knowledge of the term "designated walk path".

"Designated Walk Path" with Integrity

When possible, sidewalks and walkways to the point of delivery , are to always be used.

There are to be no exceptions to this safe work method.

If there is a side walk or walkway to the point of delivery, it is unobstructed, and in good condition, then it must be used.

Not using it is a violation of safe work methods.

Shortcuts should be avoided not sought.

Please, when making deliveries, deliver with Integrity not against him!

Use the designated walk path.

Sincerely,
I
Many of my customers do not even have a paved driveway, much less a walkway to their door.
My safe path includes not stepping in the overflowing septic tanks water and walking a Z path through the dogs chained in the yard.
At the same time looking out for the unchained dogs.
Only one on road sup has ever spent a full day riding with me in the past 15yrs I have run this route.
Paperwork can be handled, with integrity.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had to sign and turn in a self check card,and one item that was considered 'Safe' was that drivers use designated walkways,and avoid cutting thru lawns,yards and landscaping. I read this as walking up the driveway,ten onto the designated walkway to the front porch. I copied it and put it in my log so the next time i am OJS'd and told to cut thru a yard as it is quicker i can pull the copy and show my On Road Supe that i have no desire to be unsafe just to save 4 seconds
Why do you sign anything? That is your union's job.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
I have never seen a residence with a "designated" walk path. I have been to businesses, mostly industrial or manufacturing sites, that have designated walk paths for pedestrians to use.
I have seen sidewalks, at residential stops, that lead from a driveway to a front porch. Those sidewalks are for the use of visitors or guests to that residence. UPS delivery drivers don't park in most driveways. Nor, are they a "visitor" or a "guest" at that residence when making a delivery, either. Neither is the cable service employee, the utility meter reader or the Postal Employee. All of which will walk across a lawn to perform their duties/service if needed. Our drivers are paid excellent wages and are expected to make excellent choices when performing their duties.
Maybe your Poll should have been worded "The UPS Driver should choose the Safest, Most Efficient walk path to be used during delivery stops"
That, in my opinion, would be a true statement. It is also worded this way on the Record of Safety Ride form.

Hmmmmm, are you in UPS management? "Our drivers"... hmmm

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Why do you sign anything? That is your union's job.

Our steward and BA have told us to only sign Safety related checklists . However regarding this particular checklist: The main reason I signed and turned it in is because I am expecting an OJS within the next couple of months and I relish the idea of showing this to the On Road Supe when he tells me I have to cut across a yard to save time.
I can show him i have pledged to UPS to be safe and not take shortcuts. Signing the checklist is very much self serving

UPSGUY72

Our steward and BA have told us to only sign Safety related checklists . However regarding this particular checklist: The main reason I signed and turned it in is because I am expecting an OJS within the next couple of months and I relish the idea of showing this to the On Road Supe when he tells me I have to cut across a yard to save time.
I can show him i have pledged to UPS to be safe and not take shortcuts. Signing the checklist is very much self serving

Your SUP isn't going to be impressed or even care about your signed self evaluation checklist. When your SUP tells you to take the shortest path to your delivery point you rally think showing him that useless paper you signed is going to make him change his instruction to you because it isn't.

The short cuts they are talking about are running, backing into driveways becasue you don't want to break out your 2-wheeler, not using 3-point of contact, etc. Walking at a brisk pace taken the shortest safe distance to your delivery point while scanning your work area isn't one of them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your SUP isn't going to be impressed or even care about your signed self evaluation checklist. When your SUP tells you to take the shortest path to your delivery point you rally think showing him that useless paper you signed is going to make him change his instruction to you because it isn't.

The short cuts they are talking about are running, backing into driveways becasue you don't want to break out your 2-wheeler, not using 3-point of contact, etc. Walking at a brisk pace taken the shortest safe distance to your delivery point while scanning your work area isn't one of them.
upsguy72,

I mean no disrespect, but you are wrong.

The short cuts referenced are cutting across lawns, landscaping, and others.

I don't know where you are getting this information but henceforth, I certainly would view the source as unreliable.

Also, you used the pronoun they in your second paragraph.

Who is this they refering to?

This person or group that you are refering is probably the source of your misinformation.

Sincerely,
I

UPSGUY72

upsguy72,

I mean no disrespect, but you are wrong.

The short cuts referenced are cutting across lawns, landscaping, and others.

I don't know where you are getting this information but henceforth, I certainly would view the source as unreliable.

Also, you used the pronoun they in your second paragraph.

Who is this they refering to?

This person or group that you are refering is probably the source of your misinformation.

Sincerely,
I

We have beat this subject to death I'll do thing my way you do things your way. My ORS's don't complain about the way I do my things. So I'll guess we will agree to disagree.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We have beat this subject to death I'll do thing my way you do things your way. My ORS's don't complain about the way I do my things. So I'll guess we will agree to disagree.
upsguy72,

Many ORS's have no problem when their driver's do things the wrong way.

They do however often make it their first point of attention when something bad happens.

Doing your job the wrong way, in the long run, never really benefits anyone.

Sincerely,
I

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
It snows in Arizona?

I don't think she mentioned snow...

rattlerforblog.jpg

rattlerforblog.jpg

UPSGUY72

upsguy72,

Many ORS's have no problem when their driver's do things the wrong way.

They do however often make it their first point of attention when something bad happens.

Doing your job the wrong way, in the long run, never really benefits anyone.

Sincerely,
I

It doesn't matter if you do everything by the book if something bad happens they will find a way to make it your fault. Remenber when something happens with 20/20 hindsight you could have and should have done something different. That is how UPS operates you should know this by now.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It doesn't matter if you do everything by the book if something bad happens they will find a way to make it your fault. Remenber when something happens with 20/20 hindsight you could have and should have done something different. That is how UPS operates you should know this by now.
upsgu72,

I think that if you follow safe work methods 100% of the time you will never have an "avoidable" injury.

For an employee who does this, all injuries will be recorded as unavoidable.

Employee's who don't follow safe work methods will never know.

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think that if you follow safe work methods 100% of the time you will never have an "avoidable" injury.

For an employee who does this, all injuries will be recorded as unavoidable
Dude, dont know what you are smokin to come up with this, but uh........you need to spend some time actually doing something besides punching keys on the puter.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Dude, dont know what you are smokin to come up with this, but uh........you need to spend some time actually doing something besides punching keys on the puter.

d
dannyboy,

I seek to use safe work methods 100% of the time. I never intentionally try to avoid using the methods.

Sincerely,
I