Despite massive demand and government aid, FedEx and UPS have cut hiring by as much as 62%

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Despite massive demand and government aid, FedEx and UPS have cut hiring by as much as 62% - Thinknum

"I'm working more than I ever have in almost 24 years," Jack Warren, a UPS driver in Providence, Rhode Island, told CNN.

Because of ubiquitous stay-at-home orders, people are turning to e-commerce and delivery more than ever. As a result, workers at UPS and FedEx are being stretched thinner than ever, even more so than the peaks they typically see during holiday seasons.

But, inexplicably, both UPS and FedEx are not responding to the crunch with a hiring spree as they normally would do during the annual holiday rush. At UPS, the company lists 1,740 openings on its HR and recruiting websites. In November, just ahead of the holiday crunch, it was hiring for 11,500 positions. That 1,740 openings may sound like a good number, but on this date last year, UPS listed 2,690 openings, 650 more than is listed today.

UPS told Thinknum Media in a statement that, despite the reports from CNN, its hiring needs are "flat".