DFW **NIGHT** ramp/hub operation closing!!

I'mTheMan

You cant have jobs if the business isnt there, its not the same as BFI, they gave notice, and you wont be getting your ft jobs back at BFI because the business isnt there.

I feel for you guys but sometimes you have to see the finality and actuality of the situation, the union cant pull you out of this.

I don't mean to be a push to you but I'm telling you that UPS did not put a 45 days notice to the local unions same day we got our butt kicked out the building. Plus we do still have volume but what is UPS is doing since is re-directing volume somewhere else to make numbers looked good to tell their proof to the local union that they don't want night sort running in BFI for 22.3 friend/timers so they can closed night sort entirely. So on other hand that it is the union's decision to be placed those jobs, not UPS's decision from what I've been told. That's the truth, but, if you don't believe me, then you won't have to.

I'mTheMan

It is a guess but I think about 55-60 combos will be affected and 250-300 p/t employees. The entire night hub and ramp. Many combos called the union the morning we heard and our business agent Chris Trowbridge was telling people that the combos have nothing to worry about. It seems he is blowing alot of smoke seeing that he has not even met with UPS re: this as of yet. Instead of night/sunrise shift, it seems they should be able to place us on sunrise/day or day/twilight. All we can do as of now is wait until the so called meeting happens and then keep in close contact with the union as to what is being discussed. DFW employees have no faith in our local 767 or our agent. PRAY FOR US.

I am sorry to hear as things been going on. It's been 4 months now for me as I've been layoff from 22.3 and UPS forced me back to part time. Life has been a real hardest level to struggle of how to handle this but all we can do is blame UPS's fault for not telling us sooner rather than later but instead, they kicked the boot us off real hard in a very last minute. Hang in there and I will do the same too. :) By the way, we have no faith to our local too as things not been our favor during the last 4 months as we got several bad business agents been going on since too. Business agents have no supportive for full time job for combo of 22.3 at this time.

I'mTheMan

Well said, When you get laid off, I guess we won't worry about you :wink2: Damn, You have nobody to back you up either, Do you think UPS is really going to give a crap about you? You're just a supervisor. I guess it will be reality then :happy-very: Don't come crying on here

Excuse me, Sir/Ma'am, I don't need an insult from you. First of all I am not a supervisor, and secondly, I am not whine here, got that? 3rd, I am a ups employee and I have been in service in a very long time respectively. All I am saying is this is what been happening right now and I think everyone here is pretty emotional and we all understand when it come to layoff but problem is that UPS will still make a mistake when it comes to seniority order and issue with 45 days notice and transition to new location for forcing it back to part time from 22.3 jobs. Alright?

drewed

Shankman
I don't mean to be a push to you but I'm telling you that UPS did not put a 45 days notice to the local unions same day we got our butt kicked out the building. Plus we do still have volume but what is UPS is doing since is re-directing volume somewhere else to make numbers looked good to tell their proof to the local union that they don't want night sort running in BFI for 22.3 friend/timers so they can closed night sort entirely. So on other hand that it is the union's decision to be placed those jobs, not UPS's decision from what I've been told. That's the truth, but, if you don't believe me, then you won't have to.

I never said the BFI 22.3s got 45 day notice i said the DFW did and therefore that part of your grievance wouldnt apply here

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well said, When you get laid off, I guess we won't worry about you :wink2: Damn, You have nobody to back you up either, Do you think UPS is really going to give a crap about you? You're just a supervisor. I guess it will be reality then :happy-very: Don't come crying on here

Excuse me, Sir/Ma'am, I don't need an insult from you. First of all I am not a supervisor, and secondly, I am not whine here, got that? 3rd, I am a ups employee and I have been in service in a very long time respectively. All I am saying is this is what been happening right now and I think everyone here is pretty emotional and we all understand when it come to layoff but problem is that UPS will still make a mistake when it comes to seniority order and issue with 45 days notice and transition to new location for forcing it back to part time from 22.3 jobs. Alright?

I went back and re-read the thread and the post from string was not for you. It was a reply to Drewed who seems to have forgotten or misplaced whatever people skills he may have had in his replies to this thread. He has forgotten that there are people behind the numbers that are being displaced, people that must get on with their lives and people who could use a shoulder to lean on, not a foot to push them out the door.

drewed

Shankman
I have perfect people skills, Im being realistic about it, Im telling him not to plan on the union being your savior. the union doesnt hold your fate in your hands you do

combogirl

I went back and re-read the thread and the post from string was not for you. It was a reply to Drewed who seems to have forgotten or misplaced whatever people skills he may have had in his replies to this thread. He has forgotten that there are people behind the numbers that are being displaced, people that must get on with their lives and people who could use a shoulder to lean on, not a foot to push them out the door.

Well said upstate. Thanks for the support.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Im not trying to backtrack I stand by my original statement, the situation is :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, the union doesnt have much wiggle room with it and if he doesnt get laid off fully he should be happy not want the union to fight a fight they cant and wont win.

As with the 22.3s from BFI Im completely honest about it, you cant get mad at me for telling the guy the truth.
Really drewed? Several years back ups closed down the air cargo operation here at O'Hare. Every one of our 22.3 employees transferred to other buildings within our local as 22.3s and were dovetailed in seniority.

It would be better for you to speak on things that you only know!

So here's to never hearing from you again!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Really drewed? Several years back ups closed down the air cargo operation here at O'Hare. Every one of our 22.3 employees transferred to other buildings within our local as 22.3s and were dovetailed in seniority.

Cannot agree with you more, and cannot tell you how many times I have told Drewed he needs to quit talking about union business because he never lived it, saw it or did it.

9 months before he felt he was above everyone and went into P/T supervisor and feels as though he "has perfect people skills" and basically knows everything about union and UPS relations plus the contract

Oh my, to be a kid again and know everything!

drewed

Shankman

Several years back the economy wasnt in shambles, you cant have jobs if the business isnt there. I dont know why you guys think the union and the contract are little magical fairies thatll save you from the dragon that is the faultering economy.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Several years back the economy wasnt in shambles, you cant have jobs if the business isnt there. I dont know why you guys think the union and the contract are little magical fairies thatll save you from the dragon that is the faultering economy.
I thought i asked you to speak of what you know only! Once again the contract covers the employees in good times and bad!

The lay offs can be partially blamed on the economy, but the reason air volume is down is the cost, plus the fuel surcharge. I don't know about you in Alaska, but gas is back down under $2 a gallon yet ups is still charging the fuel surcharge.

The reason ups closed the air cargo operation here was cost! They moved the work to Rockford were it is cheaper to land and take off. But it was great to see the magical fairies (union agents) to the right thing and keep these employees in their full time jobs!

When are you going to move out of mommies and get a real full time job? Eventually that nipple wont be there for you to fall back on!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS has made an incredible amount of money, even prior to through after the '97 strike....generous profits. And even in those times were reluctant to create the 22.3 jobs promised yet were one of the most profitable companies. I can understand downsizing operations, but would be fairly ticked off if UPS eliminates 22.3 jobs and doesn't compensate those laid off with backpay when the economy returns and the jobs can be re-created, re-worked and such. I promise you UPS , perhaps not in the next few quarters but in the future years, will still be a profitable company while having downsized and "hopefully" a slow return of the economy and etc

BrownSuit

The lay offs can be partially blamed on the economy, but the reason air volume is down is the cost, plus the fuel surcharge. I don't know about you in Alaska, but gas is back down under $2 a gallon yet ups is still charging the fuel surcharge.

As I said earlier, I don't have firsthand knowledge of what is happening at DFW and CAE, only e-mails that I've seen and been copied on.

From what I've gathered as Red has said, the employees will find work elsewhere with UPS, either at other facilities or on other shifts.

Red, as for the fuel surcharge, keep in mind that it is based on the fuel costs two months ago. Come January, while we are raising rates, it will be cheaper to ship with UPS than it was back in July/August/September with the Fuel Cost.

For the first time in a long time, the Air/International Fuel Surcharge will be under 10% and the Ground will be in the 4% neighborhood (Keep in mind that's all based off the November Jet Fuel and On-Road Diesel prices).

It's going to take some time to come back down completely, I imagine if Fuel Continues at it's current pace, we will see a reduction of almost nothing on ground and a few percentage points on air/international.

Also keep in mind that Diesel prices have not come down as quickly as Unleaded Gasoline. It's still averaging a good $1 more a gallon across the country.

I would imagine that part of the reason that DFW and CAE are having the NDA Sorts pulled back to WorldPort is in part because of fuel costs based on volume that those locations are handling. It's not like the Air Cargo where it is being moved to another regional facility. Based on that, I would not be surprised if in 9-36 months we hear an annoucement that the sort is coming back because of a return of the volume.

One of the things that we are faced with as a company is a trade-down of product. People realizing that ground will work for what they need and that things aren't as time sensative as they had been before. This is happening with FedEx and was happening to DHL as well. I'm not sure if the NDA Volume will ever quite return to what it was, but only the future will tell.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have an example of what BrownSuit was talking about in his excellent post. I used to bring Staples their paychecks Thursday mornings NDA out of Framingham, MA, which is roughly 4 hours away from my center; however, they quickly figured out that the checks would get there in time if they used ground.

UPS Lifer

Drewed - you are missing the point on the combo jobs. Combo jobs supersede part time jobs.

If 50 combo jobs were affected in a particular hub and there were at least 50 part time jobs somewhere in that local that had not been laid off yet, the combo employees have the option to take those jobs. The part time employees would be laid off. The language might vary a little from each local.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why isnt ups considering additional dhl nda and 2 day in the decisions they are making. Some of that volume will be coming over to ups, some of it at the last minute and hopefully ups isnt getting too far ahead of itself on all of this.

drewed

Shankman
Because its not a whole lot more volume thts why DHL is leaving, theyre doing about 1.2 million deliveries daily even if UPS gets 80% of it thats only 900 split between a couple building and sorts it still doesnt fill us to capacity

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS has made an incredible amount of money, even prior to through after the '97 strike....generous profits. And even in those times were reluctant to create the 22.3 jobs promised yet were one of the most profitable companies. I can understand downsizing operations, but would be fairly ticked off if UPS eliminates 22.3 jobs and doesn't compensate those laid off with backpay when the economy returns and the jobs can be re-created, re-worked and such. I promise you UPS , perhaps not in the next few quarters but in the future years, will still be a profitable company while having downsized and "hopefully" a slow return of the economy and etc

On top of having the extra dhl volume...hope it doesnt come back to bite the company.