DHL to just quit US ops

airbusfxr

Reuters reports that DHL might just pull the plug on the US ops. UPS will lose the 10 billion deal but now UPS and FDX will split the whole pie. DHL came to the US to put UPS and FDX out of business but it backfired.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Reuters reports that DHL might just pull the plug on the US ops. UPS will lose the 10 billion deal but now UPS and FDX will split the whole pie. DHL came to the US to put UPS and FDX out of business but it backfired.

Actually, minus the intl and express packages, much of that volume would probably end up with the post office. Do you think shippers are going to want to pay more for ground packages, they probably would just send stuff priority mail and call it good. I really dont see dhl getting out all together, at least without one last fight.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
actually ups most likely leases all its vehicles from itself/a ups owned sub. that way it makes book keeping simple. owning business vehicles vs leasing can save a company millions, especially if they are not sure the business will last.

d

drewed

Shankman
if its air packages, and the USPS volume increases, we still win because a lot of the volume flys on UPS aircraft.
I dont see it as that cut and dry....all of DHLS intl volume importing to the US needs a way to get delivered, we could get that volume as well.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my area DHL isn't much of a factor. If all of their vans in our area were to turn over their volume to us tomorrow we wouldn't really notice. Each DHL driver here covers an area that requires three of four UPS drivers. In some areas the ratio is probably close to six to one.

browniehound

In my area DHL isn't much of a factor. If all of their vans in our area were to turn over their volume to us tomorrow we wouldn't really notice. Each DHL driver here covers an area that requires three of four UPS drivers. In some areas the ratio is probably close to six to one.

You're right about that Big-Arrow, its about 6 or 8-1 where I'm from. Same thing with Fed-Ex ground. The driver I talk to says he sees 6 UPS drivers (and knows us all by name) in the part of town he covers.

Its observations like these that give me confidence UPS is positioned well now and will be more than OK in the future.

Brownie:peaceful:

InTheRed

You're right about that Big-Arrow, its about 6 or 8-1 where I'm from. Same thing with Fed-Ex ground. The driver I talk to says he sees 6 UPS drivers (and knows us all by name) in the part of town he covers.

Its observations like these that give me confidence UPS is positioned well now and will be more than OK in the future.

Brownie:peaceful:

I have the same exact story!

However, it didn't stop me from grabbing 2 leads so far. Both businesses I talked to said that FedEx had been negotiating strong in the past week, but were very interested in hearing from us.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have the same exact story!

However, it didn't stop me from grabbing 2 leads so far. Both businesses I talked to said that FedEx had been negotiating strong in the past week, but were very interested in hearing from us.

I turned in my 1st DHL former customer lead on Thursday. Sounds like she wants a daily pickup account....

TB

barnyard

KTM rider
I would also like to see a link that says DHL is abandoning the US. If that were the case, why continue to waste time with hearings and negotiations for the UPS haulage agreement.

TB

BigBrownSanta

Great. Now Walgreens will want me to make a pickup at the DHL shipping kiosk in addition to the pharmacy and after waiting for them to open the back door...

BTW, has anyone taken the diad training for pharmacy deliveries in the diad yet?

We never even hear about the current DIAD training until the last day. They would have a much better completion rate if they would alert us to what is needed when it first hits the board.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pharmacy deliveries. interesting. we have a large grocery chain that is in our area, and they all have pharmacies. 6 years ago because of the drug diversion issues in our area, i started making a special delivery right to the pharmacist, and from then on, never again problems with that delivery.

interesting.

i wonder what goldenboy in atlanta is taking the credit for that?

d

BigBrownSanta

Yeah, I usually get a message on a friday saying "diad training must be completed today". For some reason though, diad training is the last thing on my mind at 830 pm on a friday night.

LiL"Comet"

DHL has already pulled out of some areas mainly rural, they are delivering still in metropolitan areas. If this deal does in fact go through we will not del anything for DHL drivers will only be del. there air & inter. to our airports and DHL will be getting them on the other end as-well to del themselves.
DHL is supposedly loosing $5 mill a day in the us domestic del service that's why in my area there are trying to target DHL customers in in case the rumor of them pulling out of US all together comes true. Trying to beat our other competition to the punch. Internationational they can't be touched that organization has a lot of money (Dutch Postal) to back itself. A lot of customers (public, friends, family) always ask if this is going to be a merger at least that's there point of view when in fact no it's not we will still be trying to get there business everyday. What gets me is what they allow them to wear out on the route blue jeans, jogging pants etc. I mean it looks like crap there's a DHL location 1/2 mile from my center.